Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Consequence of Gold Coin Hoarding

HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 14, 2018 6:25AM in U.S. Coin Forum

“Two weeks ago, international news agencies reported that Iran had executed two men for hoarding gold coins.”

“...hoarding two tons of gold coins...”

CW article: Will not let me post the link, search Coinworld Sultan of Coin

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still unable to add link to CW. Below is part of the article.

——-

Iran Executes “Sultan of Coins” for Hoarding Gold Coins

By CoinWeek News Staff ….

Two weeks ago, international news agencies reported that Iran had executed two men for hoarding gold coins. As part of a larger effort to control the Iranian economy after reimposed sanctions by the United States, the Supreme Court of Iran delivered a sentence of death by hanging to Wahid Mazloumin, 58, and his associate, Mohammad Ismail Ghasemi, on October 21.

Both men died around November 14.

The two were arrested in early July. Called the “Sultan of Coins” by Tehran police, Mazloumin was accused of hoarding two tons of gold coins–about 250,000 individual pieces–allegedly to manipulate prices on the local market. He was also accused of operating a currency trading network to carry out transactions not sanctioned by the state. Ghasemi, who some sources say was Mazloumin’s son, was arrested for his alleged role in Mazloumin’s network. Ghasemi was accused of being involved in the sale of gold coins and of belonging to a criminal gang.

Each man was charged with the religious crime of “Spreading Corruption on Earth”. In the Iranian legal system, this charge is punishable by death.

London-based human rights organization Amnesty International called the executions “horrific” and a violation of international law. Amnesty also faulted the Iranian government’s “fast-tracking” of the trials and subsequent lack of due process for the accused.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2018 10:21AM
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrorists gonna terrorize...

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't care.

A pox on all their houses.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2018 1:23PM

As the story was reported in international media, the man was a currency trader and money changer. (Both are activities prohibited by muslim and christian holy texts, but tolerated as necessary.) He had succeeded in cornering much of the market for small gold coins. These are widely used in Persian culture for ornament, bridal dowries, and other purposes. By controlling the small gold coin market, the trader attempted to make greater profits, and this irritated the religious police. The outcome was never in doubt, and the gold was confiscated, then sold to other traders.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Between religion, politics , and sex.... it's hard to have fun with gold coins, in today's environment. Damned if you do, damned if you don't . #Me3

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Timbuk3 said:
    How much worst can a corrupt country get ? :'(

Some are more corrupt than others but there isn't a single "country" that's not. Religion, politics, ethnicity etc. doesn't matter, unfortunately it's human nature.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

In North Korea being related to Kim Dong Dung can be punishable by death!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    My understanding was that the real reason they were executed was because none of the coins were approved by CAC. :o

Weren't some of the coins in AccuGrade plastic?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tibor said:

@PerryHall said:
    My understanding was that the real reason they were executed was because none of the coins were approved by CAC. :o

Weren't some of the coins in AccuGrade plastic?

Well, in that case...…... ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm curious. Did anyone check to see if these dealers were PNG members? ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:

Well there is North Korea.

Whilst I was in the gracious employ of Uncle Sam as an Infantryman, one of the garden spots in the world I had the privilege of adding to my "Places in the World I Have Visited" was 47 ambush patrols in the Demilitarized Zone in Korea. The good part was only a few involved shooting. The bad part was a few involved shooting.

In Panmunjom, the place where North & South, UN, and US meet to discuss, we could get literally inches away from the North Korean guards. Looking into their eyes, I was struck by the fact there was nothing there, no emotion, no "sparkle", nothing at all, just dead eyes staring at us.

Later, VP Joe Biden, made the comment about PM Putin "Biden said, signaling that the two leaders were standing just inches apart. “I said, ‘Mr. Prime Minister, I’m looking into your eyes, and I don’t think you have a soul.’”

That hit it perfectly. The NK country is so beaten, there is nothing left in the people.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad. Sounds like the hoarding may have contributed to the violence and uprise against the government. Truth probable was the Supreme leaders directive and Panama papers or other is leading back to him. What else would you expect him to do. Now they can say problem over it was those guys.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Timbuk3 said:
    How much worst can a corrupt country get ? :'(

wait, will show ya :(

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Iranian Hunt brothers. Sorry. I couldn't resist.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file