Home Sports Talk

As we reach the end of the NFL season, perspective is needed.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

As the NFL season winds down I find humor in the agonizing of some members who's Teams are struggling for the playoffs, for a .500 record or with personnel problems. You see, I am a Cleveland Browns fan!!!!

Dimeman almost quit the Cowboys and there are Eagles fans who are ready to explode. Hey, you guys won the Super Bowl last year, get over it!!! All of my freinds who are Steelers fans were riding high on a six-game winning streak and laughed at me when i told them they might be "peaking" too soon --- now after three losses in a row they're freaking out as they get ready for the annual thrashing at the hands of Tom Brady and company.

At long last there is some solace to be gained by being a Browns fan. Sneaking up on .500 is a dream for us; no longer being a "celler dweller" is a dream for us; saying the words possible playoff is a dream for us.

One thing that isn't a dream ---- Wait Till Next Year!!!!!! We say that all the time.

Al H.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m 100% rooting for the Browns, I really want them to do good for the sake of the fans and especially get a Super Bowl win. Another team I seriously “kind of” want to do well after Brady is done is the Bills. I always say that wanting another Super Bowl for New England is pure greed lol, ofcourse I will take it though

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

HBO's special on the Cleveland Browns was enlightening!

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exposure to NFL this year was minimal. As a onetime Lions fan not much was missed. Hoping that in the next couple seasons that the league settles down from the players up. Get the rules together, allow some hits and enough of the busted disco moves with each touchdown.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2018 5:54AM

Yea, I would like to see the Browns do well. Their fans have suffered long enough. They had some decent teams years ago when they were contenders, and then they had bad owner who “carpet bagged” to Baltimore after Baltimore had a similar class of owner do the same thing to them.

The thing that gets me about Eagles was a lack of effort in some games. They played as if they were entitled to a spot in the playoffs. They weren’t, they are paying for that now.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

<<< and there are Eagles fans who are ready to explode. Hey, you guys won the Super Bowl last year, get over it!!! >>>

After the Eagles won the Super Bowl last season, I thought the Eagles should win the Super Bowl every season from then on, just as I thought all my cards submitted to PSA should get a 10.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

My perspective is that after my favorite team (Denver) laid an egg last Sunday in a loss to SF, my sports attention and energy would be best spent on enjoying my favorite sport (hoops).

Denver will not make the playoffs this year, much to my disappointment.

My only remaining hope for this season is a win by Denver in game # two against Oakland. Other than that, WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR!!!!!

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    My perspective is that after my favorite team (Denver) laid an egg last Sunday in a loss to SF, my sports attention and energy would be best spent on enjoying my favorite sport (hoops).

Denver will not make the playoffs this year, much to my disappointment.

My only remaining hope for this season is a win by Denver in game # two against Oakland. Other than that, WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR!!!!!

Are you as unhappy with Keenum as my relatives are? I liked the guy in Minnesota and didn't understand the reason for that deal . I told my cousin Brent he was going to be happy with Keenum and he isn't and now I'm to blame :D

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

To be honest, I admit to not keeping up with the details of how the Broncos have performed this year. I have not watched Bronco games as closely this year as I have in prior years. They have been competitive in some games, losing and winning close ones. For whatever reason it is not clicking for them this year.

One cool thing is that their undrafted running back, Phillip Lindsey if I recall correctly, went to the same high school in Denver that I went to back in the day.

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Even if my team (Vikings) sneaks into the playoffs it doesn't matter because they are a one-and-done team,

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

A very disappointing season, to say the least

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 2 home teams, lions/falcons, have brought the suck this year bad.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Lions beat both the Patriots and the Eagles. The Patriots were never in the Lions game, which was played in Detroit. It was the most lackluster games they played all year. It makes you wonder how performances can be so uneven from week to week.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?