Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Greetings! New guy. First submission express tier. Can anyone give me the actual time it takes?

Hey, name is Bryan. Cards are not really my hobby, but I found a few at an estate sale and submitted to PSA for the first time. I was attempting to ascertain the actual time the express tier will take? The processing started on the 10th? Any knowledge is greatly appreciated. Happy Holidays to all.

Best,
Bryan

The art of simplicity is a puzzle of complexity

Comments

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

At that level, they are generally pretty good about 8 business day turnaround. This is AFTER the cards are logged in, which is a few days after receipt. Its the bulk orders that really fall off. You could lose a few days though if you didnt write "express Service" on the outside of the box (or if there is any other problem, like forgot to sign form)

At that level, you must think the card is worth bw $500-$1000? Best pf luck, though I and many others on the board could tell you not great stories about early submissions where cards didn't grade out as expected (hoped, in hindsight).

• Options
    ComicmanComicman Posts: 36
    edited December 12, 2018 3:54PM

Hey, I truly appreciate the response. OK, well I did write Express on the outside box, and believe I signed everything, so hopefully it won't be that long.

The card is a 1921 Babe Ruth Exhibits card. It has the blank postcard like, back. I was told both to have it graded and it would be worth it to use this tier? I can only hope for the best. It has two heavy creases, but overall looked not bad. I'd be thrilled with a 2.0 but i guess we'll see. Again, thanks for the assistance, and have a happy and healthy holiday season.

B

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

may be good to determine is they are worth getting graded...grading fees are not cheap

• Options

@HighGradeLegends said:
    may be good to determine is they are worth getting graded...grading fees are not cheap

I believe they are worth grading. Also, if you guys think grading fees are high for cards? Try Comic books :(

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@PaulMaul said:

@Comicman said:
    Try Comic books :(

👍

Niiiice book, my man! Register looks stellar, centering fabulous. Those 70's square bounds are a bitch. This one looks real tight. Excellent book :) Nice to have a "collecting friend" here ;)

• Options

I get good results using PSA's Express Service. Even better results using PSA's Super Express Service. Nice comic.

• Options
    edited December 12, 2018 8:48PM

@Comicman said:
    Those 70's square bounds are a bitch.

I love the 100 pagers. I still have a bunch of nice ones I got way back in the pre-CGC days....

• Options

:o Holy S#$T ...those are gorgeous 100 pagers, wow! Congrats. Seriously. You must know those are not easy to find.

• Options
    edited December 12, 2018 9:20PM

@pizzathehut said:
    I get good results using PSA's Express Service. Even better results using PSA's Super Express Service. Nice comic.

Thank you for the confidence. I hope it serves me, as well as it seems to have you!

• Options
    edited December 13, 2018 9:21AM

@Comicman said:
    You must know those are not easy to find.

I can’t find raw books like these anymore. They were all obtained in the ‘90s.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Brian

Welcome and best of luck with your sub.

I remember - as a kid - couldn't wait to hit the candy store for the latest copy of Superman or Batman.

Sad to say - they were a dime back then.

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:
    Hiya Brian

Welcome and best of luck with your sub.

I remember - as a kid - couldn't wait to hit the candy store for the latest copy of Superman or Batman.

Sad to say - they were a dime back then.

Indeed! Comic books, Baseball cards and Bubble gum...perhaps a Coke once you arrived at the store. Ahhhh, the glory of it all. Unfortunate that the world will never be the same!

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

@Comicman said:
    :o Holy S#$T ...those are gorgeous 100 pagers, wow! Congrats. Seriously. You must know those are not easy to find.

I have that reaction to most things that the members post on here. I guess if you hang around long enough you'll get used to it! Oh.. What? This old 52T Mantle?

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

Bryan you on the CGC boards also?

• Options
    Mickey MaysMickey Mays Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:

You are correct, grading fees are not cheap, check out eBay, If you have a common card from the mid 1960 or later and it grades PSA 7 or less, you lost money.

• Options
    edited December 14, 2018 10:43AM

@brendanb438 said:

Brendan,
    Hey comic dude ;)...Oh, I was first on the CGC boards wayyyyyyyyy back in February 2001 to about 2008 when the company had not even been around a year. I know I was one of the very early board members, and it was fantastic in those early daze, especially given the need and fervor for comic book grading. I left those boards years ago. I don't do message boards of any kind much anymore. I just don't have the time I had years back to peruse the boards, and I just frankly lost interest in all the battling personalities and attention whores! Any way, nice to meet a few "Comic Book" guys on this board. That has been both nice and surprising :)

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@Mickey Mays said:

@HighGradeLegends said:

You are correct, grading fees are not cheap, check out eBay, If you have a common card from the mid 1960 or later and it grades PSA 7 or less, you lost money.

Agreed. I learned this the hard way on my 1st psa sub back in 2011

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

@Comicman said:

@brendanb438 said:

Brendan,
    Hey comic dude ;)...Oh, I was first on the CGC boards wayyyyyyyyy back in February 2001 to about 2008 when the company had not even been around a year. I know I was one of the very early board members, and it was fantastic in those early daze, especially given the need and fervor for comic book grading. I left those boards years ago. I don't do message boards of any kind much anymore. I just don't have the time I had years back to peruse the boards, and I just frankly lost interest in all the battling personalities and attention whores! Any way, nice to meet a few "Comic Book" guys on this board. That has been both nice and surprising :)

Attention whores is a good way to put it -- I can think of more than a few meeting that description there and elsewhere! Are you still enjoying comic collecting? :smile:

• Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

So how did the submission turn out?

• Options

@originalisbest said:

@Comicman said:

@brendanb438 said:

Brendan,

Attention whores is a good way to put it -- I can think of more than a few meeting that description there and elsewhere! Are you still enjoying comic collecting? :smile:

Hey OB...thanks for the response :) Oh absolutely, the Comic Book hobby will most likely stay with me until the end (whenever that arrives) I still buy often, and add to my collection. Of the hobbies I have, It's still the hobby i'm most passionate about. Of late i'm really trying to complete my Captain America Timely run. Roughly 6 issues to go (including #1)

I see coins are another of your hobbies? Me too, but on a very small scale. My disposable income is finite ;)

• Options

@ZTarg said:
    So how did the submission turn out?

Well, thank you for asking. The card came back a disappointing Poor 1 :( ...I honestly thought it would grade higher (who doesn't when they submit?) but given other examples in grade, I had hoped. Oh well. It has 5 hrs or so left for auction on Ebay. I listed it the day it returned. Thank you for the interest. Much appreciated.

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

@Comicman said:

The card came back a disappointing Poor 1 :(

Welcome to the trading card boards. Congrats on the PSA 1 grade as it is surely better than other results, such as a "no holder" for min size, altered, etc.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a help, this beautiful example being discussed looks like this:

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

Much appreciated, Wheats ;)

• Options

@Comicman said:

Hey OB...thanks for the response :) Oh absolutely, the Comic Book hobby will most likely stay with me until the end (whenever that arrives) I still buy often, and add to my collection. Of the hobbies I have, It's still the hobby i'm most passionate about. Of late i'm really trying to complete my Captain America Timely run. Roughly 6 issues to go (including #1)

As much as I love collecting comics (which I’ve done for nearly my whole life with a few breaks), I’ve never been closer to stopping. I’ve had so many negative experiences buying books and being disappointed with them in the last five years. CGC books graded 9.6 that look like 9.0s in hand. And some 9.6s I get are great. But I just have no confidence buying anymore. I have a few runs I’ve been working on in really nice shape for decades and I just can’t seem to fill holes with equal quality anymore.

I’ve even been considering selling this....

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Comicman said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

Much appreciated, Wheats ;)

It’s an easy find. 1921 Ruth on eBay.

A real beauty. Wish I had the dough. Good luck, ComicMan!

PS - you should post a link...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@Comicman said:

As much as I love collecting comics (which I’ve done for nearly my whole life with a few breaks), I’ve never been closer to stopping. I’ve had so many negative experiences buying books and being disappointed with them in the last five years. CGC books graded 9.6 that look like 9.0s in hand. And some 9.6s I get are great. But I just have no confidence buying anymore. I have a few runs I’ve been working on in really nice shape for decades and I just can’t seem to fill holes with equal quality anymore.

Paul, completely understand, I do. I very much chase early slabs. From roughly 2000 to 2002 are the slabs I prefer, but alas, they don't come around often. That #181 is STELLAR! Aside from a few nicks on the spine, i'd be certain that book is at LEAST a 9.0 VF/NM...the register is perfect. Stunner!

• Options

On the advise of '1951wheatiespremium' ...Link to auction https://www.ebay.com/itm/273630249382

• Options

@Comicman said:

@PaulMaul said:

@Comicman said:

>

Paul, completely understand, I do. I very much chase early slabs. From roughly 2000 to 2002 are the slabs I prefer, but alas, they don't come around often. That #181 is STELLAR! Aside from a few nicks on the spine, i'd be certain that book is at LEAST a 9.0 VF/NM...the register is perfect. Stunner!

I figured it would likely be a 9.2 due to the few spine nicks...but that’s exactly the kind of thing I don’t understand anymore. I have regularly purchased 9.6s that look good in scans and have as much if not more spine wear as this. So I don’t know what to think anymore. I would not be surprised if it came back anywhere between 9.0 and 9.4. I just Long for the days of being able to examine high grade books in person. Even when I can get to shows the type of books I’m looking for are never for sale. It’s always 9.8 moderns, low-mid grade older keys and the rest junk.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@Comicman said:

@PaulMaul said:

@Comicman said:

>

I figured it would likely be a 9.2 due to the few spine nicks...but that’s exactly the kind of thing I don’t understand anymore. I have regularly purchased 9.6s that look good in scans and have as much if not more spine wear as this. So I don’t know what to think anymore. I would not be surprised if it came back anywhere between 9.0 and 9.4. I just Long for the days of being able to examine high grade books in person. Even when I can get to shows the type of books I’m looking for are never for sale. It’s always 9.8 moderns, low-mid grade older keys and the rest junk.

Yep, the grading can be displaced over a LONG crevice of so called, subjectivity :( Hence again why I prefer the really early slabs. The raw stuff you mention? Pahleeze ...I went to a dealer I have frequented for years. The day I go in he gets a walk in collection of early Silver Age books. Maybe 200 or so. We start going through them thoroughly and find that on average the run is in about 8.5-9.4 grade. So I say to him "Listen, there are some killer books in here i'd like for my collection, so give me a $$$ you think is fair"...he looks straight at me and says "Oh, i'm really sorry Ethan, but all these are going to CGC for grading" :( I get it, I do, but really? ALL of them. You can't sell me some raw books after 15 years of business? It's infuriating for me personally.

• Options
    edited January 5, 2019 11:22AM

Card sold for more than I anticipated :) Thank you to all that assisted me and educated me, through the process of grading my first card. I will check in here every now and then for certain, just to take a gander, and commiserate with the guys i've posted with ;) I'll also check in to view and learn more of the 'card' hobby side of grading.

Happy New Year to all, and a healthy and prosperous year to all...

Best,
    Bryan

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello Brian and welcome.