Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NGC Now Slabs Coin Dies - What Do You Think?

I saw this announcement and I find it fascinating, but I am curious what your opinions are about NGC deciding to slab coin dies.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/7018/cancelled-dies/

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

Comments

• Options
    CoinCastCoinCast Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Honestly its kinda silly. I have a bunch and wouldn't send them in. They are good paperweights!

Numismatist @WitterCoin

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting but I am not sure what to think about it. They may have "jumped the shark" as the expression goes.

If authenticity is a concern, then there is clearly some value to it, but if it is only to provide a neat holder then I am not sure if it justifies the cost. The fee structure was very interesting, by the way.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the beat goes on.......J/S

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinCast said:
    Honestly its kinda silly. I have a bunch and wouldn't send them in. They are good paperweights!

+1

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

P.S. Uncancelled dies should be illegal and confiscated. There are too many counterfeiters, including domestic operations, around as it is.

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont see the point to it personally but to each there own i guess

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shouldn't be a surprise since there is slabbed Toys, Shoes, Video Games, and even Cereal Boxes.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Their British spelling of "cancelled" will bother me, so I'm out.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

@FredWeinberg said:

I've submitted over 800 of my Defaced Dies
    from 1993/94 for this new NGC program.

I wish you had warned us in advance - I might have been interested in a non-slabbed (tubed?) die or two, but the added cost to have it in plastic might be an unnecessary expense.

I think it's a great idea - the Die is encapsulated
    in a ASE Tube - and this packaging shows ALL
    sides of the die - top, bottom, all sides.

Well that is a relief - without the encapsulation all sides might not have been visible unless I turned the die around or something. :o:D:D;)

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2018 11:32AM

I think it's cool!

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, without the plastic, all you'd need to
    do is turn the 'raw' die around.

I though it was nice that as part of the
    encapsulation, you can still see all
    sides, with the descriptive label and hologram.

Kinda like seeing 100% of the edge
    on a coin in a holder - whoops, you can't.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Authentication is the prime driver (plus $$$, of course). There's nothign stopping the Chinese from selling fake dies just as well as fake coins.

• Options
    edited December 11, 2018 12:20PM

@scubafuel said:
    You should consider carefully before you advocate confiscating other people’s things.

There is zero question that most uncancelled dies left the Mint without authorization. Policy requires cancellation. The case for these is weaker than the Langboard 1933 double eagles IMHO. The potential for unofficial restrikes (i.e. counterfeits) is too great. If the dies left unlawfully (i.e. theft by a rogue Mint employee) then it isn't an issue of confiscating other people's property so much as the government reclaiming its property.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's okay by me bt I don't have any mint parts. :(

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe I must have sold Mr. Weinberg one of those Olympic coin dies, and I was very grateful for his strong offer.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have several cancelled US Mint dies and they are very cool. The dies are hardened carbon steel and will rust. These capsule will protect these dies from handling.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

it looks pretty neat in that tube, I like it

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Authentication is the prime driver (plus $$$, of course). There's nothign stopping the Chinese from selling fake dies just as well as fake coins.

Now that they have been given the idea..........

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Will they certify Mr. Carr's dies after the dies have been punched with the word "COPY???"

o:)

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Encapsulated dies is interesting. What would happen if they received a non-canceled die that was purported to be from the US Mint?

• Options

Years ago I handled a pair of Philippines coinage dies from the 1930's that were uncancelled. One side said "United States of America" right on it. Is that eligible?

• Options

Tom, Yes, that's eligible - they've already
    certified a Philippine Uncancelled Die.

Anyone who is interested in seeing what they
    look like is welcome to stop by my FUN Table #828
    to see a small selection of Certified Dies of different
    types.....also, an NGC Certified Collar (they're heavy,
    so I'll ship only one of those!)

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    Will they certify Mr. Carr's dies after the dies have been punched with the word "COPY???"

From the press release: "Counterfeit or altered dies will not be encapsulated and the full grading fee will apply" (emphasis mine).

• Options

@CaptHenway said:

Put down that can of beans and leave the can opener in the drawer. :#

That is too deep a question to ponder right now - my head might explode trying to figure out the most logical answer. If the legality of the finished product is accepted - as it is by most people (not all) - what about the dies, especially the reverse dies that do not have the "fantasy" date which makes the finished product acceptable (to most people)?

I don't want to have to think about it. And in any case, I think DC destroys his old dies.

• Options

I believe it is very, or fairly easy, in the vast majority of cases,
    to determine authentic Mint Dies vrs. Chop-Stick Dies.

I've handled uncanceled dies before - a 1925-SA
    Sovereign Die was one of the coolest ones (20 yrs. ago)

There are uncanceled Coinage Dies in existence, including
    the U.S.

• Options

I once held an uncancelled Seated Liberty Dollar reverse die with an S Mint Mark. Made a five-figure offer in it so yeah, it was real.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2018 1:45PM

@FredWeinberg did you ask PCGS if they would do such a service?

It seems like the dies won’t be graded.

• Options

No, I haven't asked anyone at PCGS if they'd do the same.

I'll stick with NGC on this deal, as they came up with it for
    me specifically, as a request to help empty a garage.

And yes, there's no reason to grade any Dies, imo.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    edited December 11, 2018 2:30PM

@JBK said:
    what about the dies, especially the reverse dies that do not have the "fantasy" date which makes the finished product acceptable (to most people)?

They are false dies and illegal to make or possess.

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@scubafuel said:
    You should consider carefully before you advocate confiscating other people’s things.

There is zero question that most uncancelled dies left the Mint without authorization. Policy requires cancellation. The case for these is weaker than the Langboard 1933 double eagles IMHO. The potential for unofficial restrikes (i.e. counterfeits) is too great. If the dies left unlawfully (i.e. theft by a rogue Mint employee) then it isn't an issue of confiscating other people's property so much as the government reclaiming its property.

I'm guessing more dime and cent dies were smuggled out than dollar sized dies
    :*
    I'll just leave it at that.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't use it if it's entombed in a plastic tube! >:)

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@CaptHenway said:

Put down that can of beans and leave the can opener in the drawer. :#

That is too deep a question to ponder right now - my head might explode trying to figure out the most logical answer. If the legality of the finished product is accepted - as it is by most people (not all) - what about the dies, especially the reverse dies that do not have the "fantasy" date which makes the finished product acceptable (to most people)?

I don't want to have to think about it. And in any case, I think DC destroys his old dies.

Once I am done with a die I grind the face off. There are a couple older dies that I have kept for display purposes - but those are not over-strike dies (they are dies with my own original design).

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish that we still had the original 1855 Kellogg $50 dies.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best die I've had was for the obverse of an 1820 Half Eagle. It's in the ANA Museum now, so it probably won't get slabbed.

I have some early Guatemalan (C.A.R.) dies in my collection. I don't really know how to display them and protect them. If I thought the NGC slabs would do the trick, I'd probably slab them. But it would take some convincing.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    No, I haven't asked anyone at PCGS if they'd do the same.

I'll stick with NGC on this deal, as they came up with it for
    me specifically, as a request to help empty a garage.

And yes, there's no reason to grade any Dies, imo.

I can actually see wanting to get dies graded, especially the Olympic ones where they exist in some quantity.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@JBK said:
    what about the dies, especially the reverse dies that do not have the "fantasy" date which makes the finished product acceptable (to most people)?

I see ads for these things (or at least the Indian Head one) on TV and elsewhere:

What about the dies used to make them ?

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2018 4:46PM
    mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2018 5:21PM

@Regulated said:
    I wish that we still had the original 1855 Kellogg $50 dies.

Those are amazing. I’m glad to have the Ron Landis transfer dies.

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2018 4:48PM

Good to know. I’ve been following that but didn’t know it was slabbed.

• Options

@Byers said:
    NGC slabbed

Don't you mean "tubed"? :D

• Options

@dcarr said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@JBK said:

I see ads for these things (or at least the Indian Head one) on TV and elsewhere:

Excellent point. I knew this would turn into a nightmare trying to make sense of it all.

The HPA requires that a copy of a coin be stamped COPY. As far as I know the law says it must be stamped and not included as part of the die (and it must be incuse on the coin), which means the die will be a close or exact facsimile of the original die. And, in any case, the COPY only needs to be on one side, so in any scenario there would be one side that is left in original form.

I am not sure the powers that be who wrote the law figured out that in order to make a replica coin that will be stamped COPY there must be replica dies that are not so marked.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@JBK said:

Your point? The fact that everyone else is doing it doesn't make it right. There are plenty of people that cheat on their taxes and never are caught or audited. Play Russian Roulette if you wish.

• Options

@JBK said:

@dcarr said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@JBK said:

Excellent point. I knew this would turn into a nightmare trying to make sense of it all.

The HPA requires that a copy of a coin be stamped COPY. As far as I know the law says it must be stamped and not included as part of the die (and it must be incuse on the coin), which means the die will be a close or exact facsimile of the original die. And, in any case, the COPY only needs to be on one side, so in any scenario there would be one side that is left in original form.

I am not sure the powers that be who wrote the law figured out that in order to make a replica coin that will be stamped COPY there must be replica dies that are not so marked.

Yes, it is a nightmare and is an example of poorly crafted legislation. Nevertheless, the HPA specifically states that it is not intended to substitute or limit existing law. The other statute clearly applies.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file