Home Sports Talk

Comments

• Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

Hyperbolic of course, but there is some truth in there.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

He would also strike out Ty Cobb every time. Mickey Mantle too.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the attitude, that's what you want in a relief pitcher. Red Sox should sign him now!

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

or tomorrow. Whichever is more convenient

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    He would also strike out Ty Cobb every time. Mickey Mantle too.

I think that he would have had a tough time getting Cobb out with an overall low batting average. Whatever demons might have been in his head, Cobb was a smart savvy contract hitter who studied the game and would have made adjustments in his approach to the plate. He hit .357 with more than 400 at bats when he was 40 years old, and managed to hit .323 with 300+ at bats when he was 41. The man had a great talent.

Mantle and Ruth both struck out a lot because they were swinging for the fences. Still they too had talent, even when they were hung over.

Mantle told a story about a time in the early 60s when he was on the bench with a wicked hang over. The manager, probably Ralph Hauk, asked him to pinch hit. With head feeling like it was size of balloon and barely able to see the ball, he knocked a homer. Who knows what his stats might have been if he had taken better care of himself and not been a party animal? The same applies to Ruth.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lefties have hit .274 against He of the Massive Ego, which is 20 points or so above the average NL batting average. Brandon Crawford, a fine shortstop but not to be mistaken for a GOAT hitter candidate, has hit .357 and slugged .643 against Otto. Anyone who believes Brandon Crawford is a better hitter than the Babe, raise your hand.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

oh my goodness....

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve Dalkowski was better..........IF.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Skin2 said:
    Hyperbolic of course, but there is some truth in there.

I think it is funny that people think the old timers couldnt have excelled in todays game. mostly because they see old pictures and footage of Ruth in his late 30's when his waist had expanded. well, he wasnt always that way. He appeared quite athletic in his younger days.

for a more modern example, If David Ortiz were transported back in time and suited up in an old wool uniform for the 1934 Yankees, his "profile" would look pretty much like the Babes. Ortiz was so hobbled and unathletic during his last years that he could barely hobble around the bases. between his weight and foot problems, he was unable to field or run effectively. Check out his 2016 numbers though. he did alright. Tony Gwynn seemed as though he could still hit in the 90's as well, didnt look all that "athletic" though did he?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ruth: "I would strike Adam Ottavino out every time."

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet I could too. The guy is just a pile of bones in a box