Home U.S. Coin Forum

1893 $10 Gold

KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is worth $695 for this 1893 $10 Gold PCGS MS62?

Thanks for comments and/or suggestion.

Comments

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some 93 gold eagles somewhere, buried out on the back 40. not sure of grades or what exactly I paid but the market is weak and melt is around $600. Personally I'd be willing to pay bullion value but not much more. Only thing that matters is what are you willing to pay?

$695 isn't crazy but I believe you could do better.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agreed with @RogerB .... you can do better with that price :)

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kinda baggy for a 62. I would keep looking.

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS63 MAYBE -- cast your line out again. Bigger fish out there!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2018 8:56AM

FYI - Gold eagles were a favorite reserve coin for South and Central American governments. These were shipped around the continent for decades and acquired the kind of banged-up look shown in the OP's photo.

Here's the same picture with the highlights brought down a little. The coin appears to be uncirculated - no rubbing or clear luster disturbances - but numerous contact marks from handling of bagged coins pepper the entire surfaces. Detail seems to be excellent, but that cannot compensate for damage.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I have often mentioned, gold is my favorite coin material... and my weakness. However, I would not buy that one unless it was below melt....There are so many out there that are more attractive. Cheers, RickO

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a very important year in US history; it is your link to the greatness of America past, and will bring you good luck!

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS61 at best will all those heavy bag marks.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bullion :s

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a common date. You can easily find a better one. Wait for more of the European gold hoards to surface and the prices to fall even closer to bullion value.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wholesale ask on 63s is 705 today.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    Wholesale ask on 63s is 705 today.

OK, but what is it on MS-60?

• KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to all. I'm in no rush to buy but I am planning to add a Liberty & Indian head gold in the near future. Most of my gold coins are modern USMint produced except for a quarter indian gold coin. Will keep on looking and follow the forum members advice.

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck and I hope you find a nice one at a great price.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file