Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Recent addition

Excited about my recent purchase... I picked a 1767 2 Escudos PN-J Popayan at auction in Europe. What surprises me is the spread on certain coins from Europe to the US. As much as we think we are in a global economy, the market still shows strong regional preferences.

Anyway... I'll be looking overseas more frequently for my South and Central American purchases.

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2018 4:11PM

Please post a magnified image of the left reverse field. Thanks.

Never mind, I guess the pattern I'm seeing is just pixelization in your image.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Please post a magnified image of the left reverse field. Thanks.

Never mind, I guess the pattern I'm seeing is just pixelization in your image.

Do you suspect altered surfaces?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you have representation to view it for you?

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you got this coin in hand? I think it could look amazing, but I have had (after a pretty good run) a raw coin show up that was cleaned. Sight unseen seems high risk high reward....

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    zski123zski123 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

@Bob13 said:
    Have you got this coin in hand? I think it could look amazing, but I have had (after a pretty good run) a raw coin show up that was cleaned. Sight unseen seems high risk high reward....

You're right. It is high risk especially if you're paying based on the coin you "think" you see rather than a bid reflecting worse case scenarios.

• Options

@Bob13 said:

Here's a better pic...

• Options

Sorry about the delay in posting... The coin came back UNC details, Obv damage. I was hoping the rim was an occurrence of the strike but not to be... I bought it right so still happy with the price point.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems pretty strict for a 250 yr old coin. Still IMO beautiful!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like some extra squiggles under the bust too, I wonder if that was it.

I just bid on an item that was listed as having a small amount of graffiti - but it was really tiny and did not affect the eye appeal (to me). I also adjusted my bid, too. Seems like you are still happy with the purchase which is the important part!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options

@Bob13 said:

I just bid on an item that was listed as having a small amount of graffiti - but it was really tiny and did not affect the eye appeal (to me). I also adjusted my bid, too. Seems like you are still happy with the purchase which is the important part!

@Bob13 said:

You're correct about the extra squiggles but the 7Jaguars echoed my sentiment that it is a little tight on a coin of this age.