Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1985D Lincoln penny. With gas bubbles. Is it a error and maybe worth if it a rare error?

Best Answers

• Options
    TimbobbTimbobb Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

B)

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2018 6:01AM Answer ✓

@Timbobb said:
    The only reason why I set it aside I seen one forsale for 200 bucks. Did not know if it was a keeper or toosser. I’m new to coin discovery

Welcome to the PCGS forums!

The cent has plating blisters/bubbles. Neat to look at but no added value. Maybe keep one as a reference coin. http://www.error-ref.com/blisteredplating/

Some more good reference material for you to read.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1006619/sticky-this-book-index-books-to-read-on-numismatic-series-and-varieties

Welcome to coin collecting. Enjoy and have fun!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Timbobb .... Welcome aboard. Your cent has no added value (as stated above)...S mint coins, like other mints, may or may not be worth saving....You need a Redbook to begin your coin education... plus, this forum and other websites will also help. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

IF you put it up on Ebay, starting at .99 cents,
    it would probably bring a few dollars or so, but
    as others have said, this is a fairly common
    occurrence -

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excessive trapped gas? Not the least bit unusual in my house. :oB)

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Timbobb said:
    The only reason why I set it aside I seen one forsale for 200 bucks. Did not know if it was a keeper or toosser. I’m new to coin discovery

It is worth exactly one cent. The fact that someone is trying to find a "live one" who will be willing to pay $200 for such a coin is both sad and laughable at the same time.

All glory is fleeting.

Answers

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file