Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you call this mint mark phenomenon?

Just machine doubling or??

Comments

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Machine doubling.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like Triple D.... Diners, Drive-in's and Dives..... :D:D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Classic example of 'shelf' doubling.

Notice how the other 'D''s are FLATTER
    than the smaller, original, main D mintmark?

If it were a RPM or DDR, the D's wold be the
    exact same thickness and height off the suface
    of the coin - not wider and flatter.

aka: 'ejection' or 'mechanical' doubling.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the term “machine doubling” as Ed Fleischmann taught me. Other terms such as Fred’d Are equally valid.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are describing how it looks it's "shelf" doubling. If you are describing how it happened it's "mechanical" or "ejection" doubling.

bob.

Looks like shelf to my eyes.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's see how long we can keep this discussion at the top of the first page by continuing to post the same thing as the first answers by @cmerlo 1 and Fred. >:)

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Let's see how long we can keep this discussion at the top of the first page by continuing to post the same thing as the first answers by @cmerlo 1 and Fred. >:)

For good measure: I agree with machine doubling. :)

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone ever hear the old term "Strike Doubled?"

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2018 8:53AM

RE: "Classic example of 'shelf' doubling."

Yep. This happens when the coins are put on the very tip, top shelf at the Denver Mint. The high altitude and thin atmosphere make mintmarks dizzy and they sometimes wander a little. Nothing to worry about. Take the coin to some place like Death Valley, CA where it is below sea level and it will slowly recover.

(Of course, with the sea level rising, you could choose more places to be "below sea level.")

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Anyone ever hear the old term "Strike Doubled?"

Iv'e heard of "Strike Three and Your Out" doubling.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file