Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Tonight, I'm working on the low end stuff...

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 9, 2018 5:52PM in U.S. Coin Forum

...and I'll share a thought that passed through my head.

In addition to all of the fancy US and world coins that I regularly handle, as both a collector and a dealer, I buy and sell lots of ordinary coins. In the normal course of business, I frequently get albums filled and partially filled with mostly ordinary, raw US coins. Sometimes, I'll just sell them as I get them. Other times, I'll stick a few albums on the shelf and try to complete or improve them on an extremely casual basis, meaning that I never actually go out looking for things to add to the albums. I either get them in collections or bulk auction lots, or I don't get them. It's a throwback to my youth, when I collected completely ordinary US coins in Whitman folders.

So tonight, as I was adding a few coins to my Standing Liberty Quarter collection - 25% complete, VG-AU, are you jealous? - I had the thought that that's the way I should collect US coins, and just do the trophy hunting, finest-known-obsessed collecting with world coins. I mean, the top end of the US market is so mature, crowded and (in ways) corrupt that it's just not fun. And world coins are still mostly virgin territory.

The thought passed, I tossed the album in my "for sale" crate, along with another half dozen off the shelf, and went back to work. But I think I might finally be cured.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

You will always be able to find those partially filled Whitman albums should you decide that you want them, so I think that you made the right decision.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2018 6:21PM

@sellitstore said:
    You will always be able to find those partially filled Whitman albums should you decide that you want them, so I think that you made the right decision.

I think you're assuming that it was a financial decision. It wasn't. That's why I said "I think I might finally be cured". I'm actually kind of sad about it.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2018 6:40PM

When you conclude that plonk is bad, but you still yearn for les grands crus, well, you're not cured.

• Options

@BryceM said:
    I think the hobby would be perfectly ruined for me if I tried to combine collecting and making a living off of coins. Collecting is fun. Worrying about money all the time takes the fun out of anything.

It's probably just as hard to perfectly ruin collecting as it is to perfect it. And I speak from experience! :p

Andy Lustig

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

you had me at extremely casual basis :)

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the "disease" you speak of is chasing finest knowns, and you are cured by your albums, I give you a hearty "Yes!!". Plugging holes in an album with choice original, eye appealing coins is amazingly fun.

I have a few library of coin albums that I do exactly what you are saying. To me, a perfect choice XF coin is a real treasure.
    Load me up....PM sent. :)

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a number of old Whitman albums that I filled out of coins that I found in circulation about 60 years ago. I still occasionally fill the holes, but do not feel any compulsion to do so. Typically when I needed only one or two to complete like Washington 25 for the 32-S and 32-D. And i have kept my father's IHC collection intact as it contained only coins he found in circulation which included the 08-S and the 09-S. He was born in 1902 and probably did not have a shot at the 1877 in 1912 +/-.

Maybe I should have his album sealed in plastic and give it to my granddaughter........

OINK

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2018 9:19PM

Glad you've found a way to enjoy non-trophy coins! I think they can be a lot of fun.

I've enjoyed plugging holes with coins from circulation with the Statehood Quarters using an album like the following:

https://www.amazon.com/H-Harris-State-Quarter/dp/B002C0KS12

I'm thinking of getting a similar America the Beautiful album:

https://www.amazon.com/National-Commemorative-Quarters-Collectors-2010-2021/dp/1441312307

I haven't had the patience to fill albums for coins that cannot be picked out of circulation. I'm more apt to buy a whole bunch on the bay, fill the album and be done with it. I've done it once with wheat cents, however, it wasn't as fulfilling to just buy them all. I think it might be different as a dealer as the coins just come into the shop.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I had access to raw, more ordinary coins, I would go that route. As it is, it is still Ebay for me and I would rather drill a hole in my head than search Ebay for lower grade (priced right) coins. I would end up with a set that I could sell for $500 but spent $8,000.

• Options
    PurpleEchoPurpleEcho Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Andy, although I understand it, your post makes me feel sad. "Time to put away childish things?"
    For those of us that don't live in the rarified air of a TDN, Mr. Weinberg, Laura, JA, or even Charmy, Eagle Eye, etc. etc. etc. The 'hobby of kings' is a conundrum. "Is this my hobby, or am I making foolish business decisions?" I wish there was a TPG (with reasonable grading fees) for the average collector. Just assure me that I haven't bought a Chinese fake, and let me touch them, hold them, and fill the holes in my albums.

Been gone. Used to be Pakasmom.

AKA Pakasmom

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2018 10:14PM

@PurpleEcho said:
    Andy, although I understand it, your post makes me feel sad. "Time to put away childish things?"
    For those of us that don't live in the rarified air of a TDN, Mr. Weinberg, Laura, JA, or even Charmy, Eagle Eye, etc. etc. etc. The 'hobby of kings' is a conundrum. "Is this my hobby, or am I making foolish business decisions?" I wish there was a TPG (with reasonable grading fees) for the average collector. Just assure me that I haven't bought a Chinese fake, and let me touch them, hold them, and fill the holes in my albums.

Been gone. Used to be Pakasmom.

Whoa -- I must say I AGREE with emphasis! Welcome back reincarnated one! Curious handle change. I am fond of fondling many classics that are best undressed. OK pervs. This is still about coins. :)

Edited clumsiness.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Those who play with widgets will have a life filled with dreck."--Anonymous

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PurpleEcho.... Welcome back Pakasmom....
    @MrEureka....I find your post to be interesting.... I too went through a period of jaded interest some time ago...World coins were also attractive (incredible variety, often very artistic)...So I dabbled here and there. Finally decided to just acquire coins that attracted me, with no rhyme or reason or theme....It is fun and gives a feeling of freedom since I am not tied to a search or series. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

Like a few other board members here I also collect firearms. I have a few old Colt's that are in pristine condition as well as a few Smith & Wesson's. However, I find myself shopping around for old revolvers with surface rust and broken grips so I can bring them home and restore them back to original as much as possible.

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

My oldest is a 3040 Krag :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of my bullion is in junk silver. I go through them to fill old Whitman's just for fun. Cost nothing and have filled the Washies and Mercs except the 16d. Sometimes surprising what can be found in junk silver lots. No great rarities or high grades, but cheap entertainment that can be sold as bullion to protect the core collection.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought that "plugging holes" with circ stuff was the disease, not chasing finest knowns.

My point was that you can always start plugging holes again, anytime you wish. Always plenty of widgets available.

With finest knowns, you may not get a second chance.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of my collection is in those blue 3-fold Whitman albums, including half dimes, all pretty low grade.
    The main problem is that all the affordable coins go in, and then it sits neglected.
    So I have a secondary collection of die varieties in 2x2 holders.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the end of the day, world coins>us coins for returns. As already mentioned, world coins offer much more "bang for your buck". I collect both and love both, however, I am much more optimistic about the world coins i collect, both raw and graded. US coins are a very mature segment (same with British and a few others) of coin collecting. World coins are just more fun for me IMO since you can cherrypick much easier and actually complete a series without spending a fortune...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file