Home U.S. Coin Forum

The thread about the 1946 Lincoln reminded me of my "special" 1907-O Dime..Full PIC added at bottom!

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 15, 2018 9:42AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Explain how this happened. I don't see any metal that has been moved around.

Comments

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will they assign a new variety? Very interesting .......

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice example Dimeman.
    I love "interesting" coins.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2018 12:04PM

I see evidence of what could be a seam in both pictures where the extra metal might have been attached.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

A post waiting for the reveal...

I suspect this will be informative. :)

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a clue what this is. I showed it to Dr. Wiles and Fred W.. They both would not call it anything until another was found.

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two similar "hooks" on the same coin? That seems suspicious but curious.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I don't have a clue what this is. I showed it to Dr. Wiles and Fred W.. They both would not call it anything until another was found.

The mystery deepens. Now we are aware and perhaps someone will find another.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting anomaly.... sure looks like 'extra' metal....like a shaving from planchet stamping....Just theorizing.... Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool! Can we see the whole obverse?

@asheland said:

I will try to do that soon.

@DIMEMAN said:

@asheland said:

I will try to do that soon.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about a picture of the full side

Frank

BHNC #203

Here is a full pic of the obverse.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2018 10:01AM

@asheland said:

@Treashunt said:
    How about a picture of the full side

Can we see the reverse and edge too...LOL >:)

• MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN I think @Insider2 would also like to see a picture of just part of the coin shot with a lousy white balance. :)

Mark

That's a really cool variety!

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mark said:
    @DIMEMAN I think @Insider2 would also like to see a picture of just part of the coin shot with a lousy white balance. :)

LOL, actually, that's not necessary as these posts are not True Views. This is not a photo contest either! When you've examined enough coins using different magnifications and light sources you won't be attached to/ OR NEED "artsy" images with correct colors to know what you are looking at. <3

Walking around a coin show and looking at coins is a lot different than the controlled environment in a grading room. Those folks who develop an "eye" under adverse conditions will be far ahead of other collectors.

The color on the OP coin is correct for how it looks using fluorescent light at 20X. A stereomicroscope coupled with fluorescent light is the ONLY correct way to authenticate a coin. We are extremely lucky that the professionals using a hand lens and incandescent light are so experienced using this method that few authentication errors occur. I don't think all the members here have reached their level.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file