Home Precious Metals
Options

how much is a peace dollar worth

coinzzzcoinzzz Posts: 46 ✭✭✭
edited December 6, 2018 6:25PM in Precious Metals

i just bought a 1922 peace dollar for about 43 dollars in very good condition was that a good price?

Comments

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably not.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think so !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

You paid twice too much.

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, raw ones around here are $18.00
    Consider it a little tuition

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forums!

Agree with all previous... you paid too much. Next time, before you buy, consult with someone or something.

Below link can help.
    https://www.pcgs.com/prices/priceguidedetail.aspx?ms=1&pr=1&sp=1&c=26&title=peace+dollar

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last I checked they were about $11 melt and $12-$15 retail depending on condition. $43 is high but consider it a cheap education. Welcome to the CU.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2018 6:26AM

Will sell you one in better shape for half that. ( I know: wrong forum and I have no shame )

Better yet, will sell you two for that price and include the shipping.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2018 9:38AM

@coinzzz said:
    i just bought a 1922 peace dollar for about 43 dollars in very good condition was that a good price?

It's a good price if you love the coin and don't have any plans on selling it soon.

Coins are valued on very specific factors. Date, mint mark, and condition can make a coin extremely rare or extremely common. 1922 was by far the date with the largest mintage, or production, of all of the peace dollars. So only examples in uncleaned, original mint condition have any substantial value. And even that is low compared to many other peace dollars.

Coin collectors essentially grade coins on a scale from 1 to 70. An average circulated 1922 peace dollar would probably be in the 25 to 45 out of 70 range. It might be a little confusing, but to coin collectors the words "very good condition" that you used translates to an actual low grade (between 8 and 10 out of 70), which would be under most circumstances valued at just the coin's silver content--the $10 to $12 range give by others above. Collectors would have little if any desire for a coin in that condition.

However, it is possible to find a 1922 peace dollar that is worth considerably more than the $43 you paid. The higher you get on the 1 to 70 scale, especially those coins graded 65 and higher by a reputable third-party grading company like PCGS (the message board we're on now), the higher the price gets. And the difference in value between a single grade, say between 66 and 67 or 68, can be enormous.

This 1922 peace dollar with a numeric grade of 67 sold on eBay in late November for $2500:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinzzz..... You likely paid too much as stated above.... We are assuming it was not a slabbed coin....If it was, we would need to know the grade before assessing whether or not it was a good deal. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2018 10:43PM

That information is readily available in numerous places.

If you have doubts as to value why did you buy it in the first place!

Where was item obtained?

• Options
    PurpleEchoPurpleEcho Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

That was nice of you Weiss. <3

AKA Pakasmom

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's entirely possible that "very good condition" doesn't mean VG8. Now, $43 is still too much for an MS63, but for a really nice MS64+ raw coin it's not crazy.