Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Crossover Epic Fail... 0 for 3 high-end coins

Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well....I guess these are staying in NGC holders. :( Really disappointed the $5 wont cross - looks like a solid 5 to me...and there are only about 20 left in existence.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2018 8:49AM

Sorry to hear that but thanks for posting. I’ve been wondering whether to cross or crack.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you try crossing at grade or any grade?

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe try to cross again one at a time.

• Options

@robec said:

Was willing to drop the Stars, but didn't want to drop numerically at all. Have in the past, but these are premium coins and all a-OK for the assigned graded....so was not willing to accept lower grades on these.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Senator32 Have you thought about getting them stickered?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice trio and now you know where they stand.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Senator32 said:

@robec said:

Was willing to drop the Stars, but didn't want to drop numerically at all. Have in the past, but these are premium coins and all a-OK for the assigned graded....so was not willing to accept lower grades on these.

Probably did you a favor by not crossing the star coins.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice trio and I am sorry it did not happened this time around :)

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

Any good pics of the proof $5?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it is time to stop playing the plastic game and just cash out of those coins? They still have high grades assigned from a major TPG and should do well if sold.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    Maybe it is time to stop playing the plastic game and just cash out of those coins? They still have high grades assigned from a major TPG and should do well if sold.

Good point. Only issue is that I love these coins - the only reason they have not been sold is I have yet to find any I like more in a PCGS holder. Maybe some day, but these are all pretty amazing.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭✭

No guts, no glory, though it's easy for me to say since I have no skin in the game; but if you were to crack these out and submit to PCGS I'd wager they would maintain their numerical grades.

• Options

What is going on with the $5 on the obv by the hair? Lighting/pic causing that?

• Options

@fc said:

That's the reflections going on when photographing mirror proof gold surfaces. :smile:

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2018 9:51AM

Patience is your Virtue

Too early for cracking 50 / 50 chance ......... better wait for a couple more years to cross again :)
    I heard so many stories on those crossing later then sold for $$$$$$ either by Legend or/and HA

@originalisbest said:
    No guts, no glory, though it's easy for me to say since I have no skin in the game; but if you were to crack these out and submit to PCGS I'd wager they would maintain their numerical grades.

• Options

@fc said:

Reflections of marks and looks like a small fiber or hair on the holder. Need to reimage, but this was taken with my cell phone...so not exactly a pro photo :smile:

• Options

And the rev by STATES OF? Not fully struck up? Or more pic/lighting issues?
    I am not trying to bash your coin at all. I think it is awesome. Just trying to figure out why it did not cross.

Do you have a guess why?

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    @Senator32 Have you thought about getting them stickered?

exactly what I was thinking too.
    Best move for you at this stage is getting or attempting to green em!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

without knowing what you requested on the submission form, I have found success on failed crossovers by submitting at a later date with either "any" or a specific grade even if it's the same one on the insert. it may be splitting hairs but I believe that's different than "same" as the grade. certainly my results are from a small sampling and lower value coins, but I feel if I give PCGS some flexibility on the cross-over level that they will look at the coins more objectively.

further, on every initial try with a cross-over I have better success choosing "any" or a specific grade(even if it's the same as the insert) vs. choosing "same" as the choice. remember, it's a Minimum Grade that we are requesting.

past all that, I would never suggest cracking those coins out.

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

such awesome coins, perfect no matter what holder or grade. I know it's annoying when you can't include them in the registry but still doesn't take anything away from them.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 5 is a stunner from the pics. :)

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2018 10:08AM

@originalisbest said:

Don't do that.
    Once cracked out all bets are off.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@originalisbest said:

I am pretty sure that PCGS gives submitters a fair shake with or without the crackout.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's awful.....Those coins look solid for the grade!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

@fivecents said:

@originalisbest said:

Don't do that.
    Once cracked out all bets are off.

Disagree entirely. If the coins are as nice as they appear to be, and the OP believes in them, they (should) stand on their own merits. Of course this presupposes that one would take care not to damage accidentally in doing so. If too nervous to do this and not happy with their current plastic, consign them to auction (and should try for CAC approval first if doing so.)

With a CAC try, at the least, if there are concerns regarding whatever on any of them, they are happy to discuss their opinions with you -- and that may also sway one towards keeping or selling.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@originalisbest said:

I am pretty sure that PCGS gives submitters a fair shake with or without the crackout.

That goes without saying, but thanks for stating the obvious. What is a differing factor is a coin outside plastic in raw form can simply be examined more thoroughly than it can through plastic.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

CRACK 'EM OUT! ;)

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@originalisbest said:

I will bet anyone 10 grand right now that they would not come back the same grade or higher. No chance, none. Not that the coins are not nice..................................the standards are more strict.

Am I correct is assuming CAC did not bless them?

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    That's awful.....Those coins look solid for the grade!

I'd keep them as-is.
    Things seem to be changing for the better in many places.

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:

@originalisbest said:

I will bet anyone 10 grand right now that they would not come back the same grade or higher. No chance, none. Not that the coins are not nice..................................the standards are more strict.

That's an assumption about CAC -- OP doesn't say. They should certainly try if they haven't been, just to get more expert insights. Based on just these images, I say it's more of a crapshoot that if cracked out, they may or may not maintain these grades. Obviously they DNC in the plastic as they are.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think they look pretty sweet. i would just keep them as is.

• Options

@fc said:
    And the rev by STATES OF? Not fully struck up? Or more pic/lighting issues?
    I am not trying to bash your coin at all. I think it is awesome. Just trying to figure out why it did not cross.

Do you have a guess why?

I appreciate it actually - makes me look at the coin with fresh eyes. In hand that 'States of' thing you see in the picture is not there - must be a reflection of the luster in the image. Only thing I can see is a very small hairline in front of Liberty's bust...but the coin is so clean it is still a lock 6....but not a 6 or a 7 imo.

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:

The 50C has been to CAC, the other two have not.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Senator32 said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

Did they give any comments on the coin? Looks very nice from the picture!

• Options

@U1chicago said:

Sadly no comments. That Walker is the nicest one I have ever ran across...95% cameo...if only for the sun.

• Options

@Senator32 said:

@U1chicago said:

Sadly no comments. That Walker is the nicest one I have ever ran across...95% cameo...if only for the sun.

If I were you, give them a call to ask why, with serial # info etc. They may or may not have notes on the coin. Could be as simple as "we don't like it as a 68 because X" but "we like these surfaces as a 67 because X". You never know until you ask. Best of luck!

• Options

@originalisbest said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

@originalisbest said:

That's an assumption about CAC -- OP doesn't say. They should certainly try if they haven't been, just to get more expert insights. Based on just these images, I say it's more of a crapshoot that if cracked out, they may or may not maintain these grades. Obviously they DNC in the plastic as they are.

Of course it's an assumption, thus the word "ASSUMING"!

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:

@originalisbest said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

@originalisbest said:

Of course it's an assumption, thus the word "ASSUMING"!

Yes, and now we have a more complete answer. You assumed the OP had tried all 3 at CAC; we know now that just the 50c was tried. I wasn't willing to say one way or the other without the OP weighing in.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2018 10:47AM

A difference of opinion. But what really matters is the opinion of a buyer sometime in the future and one can hope the buyer is smart enough to make his/her own decision.

PS; What is the NGC star supposed to translate as in PCGS language?

• Options

@Senator32 said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

Am I correct in assuming they will be sent to CAC? :)

• Options

LOL on the calling and asking why comments. You also have a zero chance of that happening!

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:
    LOL on the calling and asking why comments. You also have a zero chance of that happening!

Why is that? Quite a few people have reported getting comments on coins sent to CAC?

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:

Maybe eventually. Kinda pissed at CAC right now. Recently sent them in a 1891 proof 25c (my favorite series, that I feel I am somewhat an expert in grading after 20 years) that I had allowed to downgrade from NGC 66CAM to a PCGS 65CAM (I think the coin is a 66CAM all day, but was not too concerned as I figured I would get a bean out of it).

Not only did JA not sticker the coin at 65CAM....but they didn't return my NGC cert and they scratched the hell out of my brand new holder:

When I complained about that all I got was "we take the upmost care of holders". So, CAC on my bad side at the moment.

• Options
    feeter277feeter277 Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

Just submitted 4 to cross and only 1 did... and the one it thought would not cross did, other 3 were better than ones on PCGS holders for the grade...

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Senator32 said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

Maybe eventually. Kinda pissed at CAC right now. Recently sent them in a 1891 proof 25c (my favorite series, that I feel I am somewhat an expert in grading after 20 years) that I had allowed to downgrade from NGC 66CAM to a PCGS 65CAM (I think the coin is a 66CAM all day, but was not too concerned as I figured I would get a bean out of it).

Not only did JA not sticker the coin at 65CAM....but they didn't return my NGC cert and they scratched the hell out of my brand new holder:

When I complained about that all I got was "we take the upmost care of holders". So, CAC on my bad side at the moment.

:o:#:(

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file