Home Sports Talk
Options

Categorically and undeniably the Greatest of All Time (GOAT)

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 5, 2018 12:20AM in Sports Talk

Howard Cosell.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2018 4:11AM

Going Old school! And agreed

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was both the GOAT good and bad. Now THAT'S a record that can't be broken!!!!!!!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

His hairpiece was superb. Except for the fact that it looked like a hairpiece. LOL

• Options

@stevek said:
    His hairpiece was superb. Except for the fact that it looked like a hairpiece. LOL

The best ones did back then.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

The best ones did back then.

I'm not certain, but Cosell's hairpiece might be made out of polyester. :D

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

It's just sad that a squirrel had to sacrifice its life for Albert's hairpiece.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

I liked Vin Scully the best. Of course Howard was more of a color guy, a prognosticating pontificator as it were ;-)

Joe Buck announced during the Vikings Patriots game that Brady was the GOAT. I can't believe any (good) announcer would say that.

His real first name CAN'T be Joseph.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cosell was entertaining but often a gasbag in the booth, especially when doing baseball or MNF. Boxing was his strong suit.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    Cosell was entertaining but often a gasbag in the booth, especially when doing baseball or MNF. Boxing was his strong suit.

And Cosell, long before he retired, quit announcing boxing for various reasons.

Cosell actually wound up to be a frustrated old man, and in his later years said a number of stupid negative things about his colleagues that really didn't need to be said. It wasn't enlightening, it was just silly and made Cosell look foolish.

My opinion for at least some of his frustration is that Cosell had stated that what he really wanted to do is stop announcing sports altogether, and become a political pundit for a network. To the best of my knowledge, none of the networks ever gave him the chance.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2018 4:25AM

I miss Cosell and Keith Jackson. Especially when he did OSU games.
    Terry Glenn 82 yard TD catch vs NOTRE DAME
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRi6ArvLgRU

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cosell was great. I also enjoyed john Madden in the booth. So entertaining.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also liked Bill Fleming !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the most part, when it comes to Howard Cosell, I would say that “goat” would have it’s old meaning - the guy who screwed up and lost and the game. The guy was too much of a New York City homer for me, in addition to other faults.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I should add that I did enjoy his boxing commentary, however, and the best selling book he authored to at least placed his name on the front cover.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps not. But he was fast enough to come in second.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph