Home Precious Metals

Palladium is higher than gold

13»

Comments

• GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw Pallidium going up day after day. Bought an ETF. After a couple weeks I realized I didn't know the first thing about it and sold for a nice profit (small but decent for the investment). Watched it start to go back up and thought just my luck. Now I'm relieved I sold it. Really had no business buying it in the first place.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

oops
    I just double checked and PA did not roll to a new front month when gold did a few days ago.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@cohodk said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    it is what it is.
    I would guess it was in bubble territory and we did not know it. I'd think after the first $100 drop that PA would be bought because of the supply constraints, but it lost another $100 on top today.

now the question is where is buying support?

Backwardation is really just another word for bubble. Warnings were issued.

To answer your question look at past backwardations.

you know backwardation exists for a reason, however to claim to know it is a bubble is just as problematic as when someone on the opposite side of you claims they know why something happened. any claim issued would be met with "where's your proof" from you.

at least we both think it is bubble trouble. but we don't have any proof other than two back to back $100 down days in the face of new reports of "supply exceeds demand" stories. it does kind of quack like a duck here.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • donjaludonjalu Posts: 64 ✭✭✭

I have 1/2 Oz Pd proof rounds from Poarch Creek Indians in the US. Only 250 were minted and the ones I own are very well struck. Should I have some graded? If so by which group?

• CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

I read that car sales in China are on the decline along with the US sales.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't eat, burn, or moisturize yer situation with palladium, can ya?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2019 8:02PM

@MsMorrisine said:

@cohodk said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    it is what it is.
    I would guess it was in bubble territory and we did not know it. I'd think after the first $100 drop that PA would be bought because of the supply constraints, but it lost another $100 on top today.

now the question is where is buying support?

Backwardation is really just another word for bubble. Warnings were issued.

To answer your question look at past backwardations.

you know backwardation exists for a reason, however to claim to know it is a bubble

All you have to do is find a backwardation that was not a bubble and I will be proven wrong.

Warning was issued in this very thread on Mar 19.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2019 4:08AM

When the yield curve inverts, it that not backwardation on a very grand scale? Why, yes - I believe that it is.

The heat is on. It's not really a good thing, for just about anybody.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    edited March 29, 2019 5:28AM

@jmski52 said:
    When the yield curve inverts, it that not backwardation on a very grand scale? Why, yes - I believe that it is.

Interesting thought jmski.

Yields would need to be inverted all along the curve. Three month yield higher than 1 year, which is higher than 2 yr, which is higher than 3yr....and so on to the 30yr.

The debate would be whether or not an interest rate is a commodity.

you made the claim, the burden is on you

@MsMorrisine said:
    you made the claim, the burden is on you

Read what I wrote on 3/19. Seemed quite clear....unless you think oil was not a bubble in 2008 and silver was not a bubble in 2011.

Burden lifted.🏋️‍♂️🏋️‍♀️

2 data points is not proof that backwardation is an indication of a bubble.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

It takes two to contango

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

edited March 29, 2019 12:46PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    2 data points is not proof that backwardation is an indication of a bubble.

It's 2 more than you've shown. 🎯

Here is another...lumber early last year was in strong backwardation....it fell over 50% in 5 months after peaking.

I've provided evidence to support my claim. And in about 12 months (or less) I will have another data point.

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@donjalu said:
    I have 1/2 Oz Pd proof rounds from Poarch Creek Indians in the US. Only 250 were minted and the ones I own are very well struck. Should I have some graded? If so by which group?

I saw a MS-69 graded coin like this on eBay, it was graded by ANACS.
    With the recent run up in prices the seller pulled the coin and when I asked about it he said they melted it 😢

I am not sure if our hosts here at PCGS grade these but it may be worth a call to ask.

These coins are really nice and welcome to the forums!

It's all about what the people want...

Thank you, LukeMarshall.

It is a shame the coin was melted! IMO, such low mintages would make this desirable as part of a palladium collection.

I have resisted selling these coins to dealers for this very reason. Thought I would test the waters and sold 2 to a dealer last year but he also sold them to a JM refiner in town. LOL.

I would rather they be enjoyed in the hands of collectors and not added to the melt. Indeed, the Sky Dancer is a very nice coin. There are quire a few in my lot still. I'll look into ANACS for grading.

edited March 31, 2019 12:55PM

@donjalu said:
    Thank you, LukeMarshall.

It is a shame the coin was melted! IMO, such low mintages would make this desirable as part of a palladium collection.

I have resisted selling these coins to dealers for this very reason. Thought I would test the waters and sold 2 to a dealer last year but he also sold them to a JM refiner in town. LOL.

I would rather they be enjoyed in the hands of collectors and not added to the melt. Indeed, the Sky Dancer is a very nice coin. There are quire a few in my lot still. I'll look into ANACS for grading.

I agree, it was sad to hear it melted, and hearing about your experience leads me to believe the surviving coins may be far less than the actual mintage of 250 pieces.

You may want to look at NGC as a grading option also, they seem to allow more tokens and such, but seeing that this coin is from a sovereign nation I would think all three major third party grading companies would slab them, PCGS included (ide still call to find out)

Awesome you picked these up, held them, and are trying to find better resting places than the melting pot.
    👍

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@donjalu said:

Please post a pic.

ATS has an entry for a coin that meets your description but I do not see any that are graded.

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/creek-nation-poarch-creek-indians-10-dollars-km-5-2004-cuid-1065665-duid-1300724

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mbogoman said:
    Just got a dental crown replaced yesterday. Since the metal portion of the old one is Palladium (more stable with heat and cold), I asked for (and got) the old crown. Now I just have to figure out how to separate the porcelain from the metal and what to do with it afterwards!

Ebay

1/2 Oz Pd proof rounds from Poarch Creek Indians in the US
    Here are some pics.

Here is some more info on the 2004 Poarch Creek Indian rounds that I use on the bay.

The Poarch Creek Tribe issued cupro-nickel, silver, gold and palladium coins in 2004 to commemorate the 20th Anniversary of recognition of the Sovereign Nation of Poarch Creek Indians by the United States.

The Creek coins issued in 2004 are:
    2004 "Peace" cupro-nickel "Muled" coin. Mintage 2500 only 200 released to the public.
    2004 "Peace" 1 Oz. BU Silver coin. Mintage 20,000
    2004 "Peace" 1 Oz. Proof Silver coin. Mintage 10,000
    2004 "Pow Wow" 1 Oz. BU Silver coin. Mintage 20,000
    2004 "Pow Wow" 1 Oz Proof Silver coin. Mintage 10,000
    2004 "Pow Wow" 1 Oz Proof Gold coin. Mintage 300. Produced by the Perth Mint of Australia. Only a few of these gold
    coins were authorized and they are considered very rare.
    2004 "Pow Wow" 1/2 Troy Oz. Palladium .9995 fineness. Hallmarked on the side. Mintage 250. Obverse depicts Sky Dancer and reverse depicts five tribal chiefs. Designed by Alex Shagin. Dia. 30mm. A key coin for any US Sovereign Tribal Nation or international palladium collection.

A trial strike (an intentional "muled" coin) containing cupro-nickel with "Peace" on the obverse and "Pow Wow" on the reverse was produced prior to the the silver, gold and palladium coins being minted. 2500 of the "muled" coins were made but only 200 were released to the public after distribution to tribal members.

The 2004 "Sky Dancer" was the first Palladium coin issued in the United States.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@donjalu said:
    1/2 Oz Pd proof rounds from Poarch Creek Indians in the US
    Here are some pics.

Extracted the pics.

edited June 29, 2019 4:17PM

Okay, I saw something that made me think of this thread.

I wanted to drag up my comment on the first day it broke out over gold. After some research I found that my 2015 PD prospector was actually struck on the small hydrolic press at Dave Emslies, of Daniel carrs design.

http://www.moonlightmint.com/other.htm

Useful page for Dan Carr mintages.

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold $1283
    Palladium $1280

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang! They're almost the same price!

palladium was lower earlier today, too. it staged an over $30 comeback

Go palladium

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    Go palladium

Good luck finding a buyer....assuming you are playing with physical. Paper? Well then, well played and Congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

I expect a wide spread

I have had good luck on flyby selling Poarch Creek 1/2 Oz. PD proof medals. Some respectively over melt.
    They are ungraded and nice looking. Contemplating having some graded, though.
    Anyone interested?
    See above posts.

palladium is winning

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Investment in the largest Nickel and Palladium producer in the World has done very well. Plus 10% dividend. Hard to beat. GLTA

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

go palladium.

$1602

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2019 9:20AM

@MsMorrisine said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Will we see $1700 Pd, before we see $1400 Au ?

Yes

From February : " will Pd see $1700 before gold goes to $1400 ?
    I like posing yes or no questions ahead of time.

The results are in.

booooo

fake news!

edited September 19, 2019 4:18PM

Palladium is almost 2 Grand according to the United States mint :*

• President Trump's commentary seems to move the markets more than FED actions...especially when POTUS's remarks/maneuvers come as unexpected.

go palladium

over $1800 again

go palladium 2081

$2200s

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Platinum. Underpriced.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

@roadrunner said:
    Platinum. Underpriced.

I agree with Roadrunner. It must indeed be 2020!!

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to hear RR because I have a lot of undervalued platinum I would like to see overvalued.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

:'(

edited July 29, 2020 5:56PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    :'(

Imagine if gold would be smashed $200 in a single day... the gnashing of teeth!

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold just overtook palladium again.

Gold $1972
    Palladium $1965
    -- and --
    Platinum $903!

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

yay?