Home Precious Metals
Options

Palladium is higher than gold

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

1,474.10 right now. We should see $1500 this week.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2019 9:11AM

Now @ $1,506. Wow.

Congrats to those who got into palladium. I continue to be amazed. (I managed to unload my only Palladium Eagle when it palladium was $1,350 - mainly because I didn't need another metal to track or manage.) :open_mouth:

I think the illogic of palladium being higher than gold keeps speculators from piling into (lower premium) Maples in quantity. How high can it go without much interest in the other metals?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

$1,532.80

• Options

$1,535.00

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

As the bubble slowly inflates...……..

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will we see $1700 Pd, before we see $1400 Au ?

• Options

$1,555.70

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

At this rate, we may see 2,000 Palladium before 1400 gold...

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2019 12:00PM

I think it's a bubble and I'm testing the waters with mine now on Ebay.

Come back in a few months and lets see how dumb I was. ;)

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Yes

• Options

Palladium makes me nervous.

• Options
    edited March 1, 2019 2:07PM

@MsMorrisine said:

• Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

In 2008 I picked up 26 oz for under $300 an oz. One of the best moves I've made. Only time I bought any palladium. Really had no reason for doing it that I remember, except to maybe diversify my portfolio a little. Glad I did though. I still have it all and don't plan on selling anytime soon.

• Options

@JeremyDie1 said:
    In 2008 I picked up 26 oz for under $300 an oz. One of the best moves I've made. Only time I bought any palladium. Really had no reason for doing it that I remember, except to maybe diversify my portfolio a little. Glad I did though. I still have it all and don't plan on selling anytime soon.

Excellent investment! I don't think this run up is over yet...

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. The run-up continues to $1600 now.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Space force

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got a dental crown replaced yesterday. Since the metal portion of the old one is Palladium (more stable with heat and cold), I asked for (and got) the old crown. Now I just have to figure out how to separate the porcelain from the metal and what to do with it afterwards!

• Options

From CNBC

Palladium hit its highest ever on Tuesday, crossing the $1,600 an ounce mark for the first time as news that Russia is planning to ban exports of precious metals scrap fueled concerns over an already supply-constrained market.
    Spot palladium was up .6 percent at $1,593 an ounce, having hit a record high of $1,606 earlier in the session.
    "There have been rumours that Russia would restrict exports of some scrap materials. When the market is as tight as palladium is, sometimes such news can take on more significance than it should," said Philip Newman, a director at Metals Focus.

"It comes back to the fact that you have an underlined tight market, where demand is far outstripping global supply."
    Russia's trade and industry ministry last week said the proposed ban on exports of precious metals scrap and tailings would last from May 1 to Oct. 31.
    Russia is a major producer of palladium, which is used mainly in catalytic converters.
    News that China, the world's biggest auto market, will enforce stimulus measures to boost its tiring economy has also helped the case for the metal, analysts said.
    Commerzbank attributed the spike in palladium prices to speculative buying interest.
    Prices have nearly doubled since their mid-August lows and have already surged about 27 percent this year.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oil went into backwardation in 2008. Silver went into backwardation in 2011. Palladium is currently in backwardation.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

From the Duke:

"Gold retains its value

No other currency can match the staying power of gold. It's earliest known use as money was 643 BC, and it's been a form of currency ever since. Empires have risen and fallen, we've gone to the moon and sent probes to Mars, yet gold is still valuable. That's a good sign for people who like stability.

Research from Duke University found that gold's purchasing power has been consistent throughout history. They analyzed the wages of Roman centurions, who were paid in gold, and found that they were "approximately the same as a modern day U.S. Army captain's pay." They also showed that "the price of bread (in gold) thousands of years ago is about the same as we would pay today at an upscale bakery."

Nothing is ever guaranteed in investing, but if you are looking for something to add to your portfolio that is very likely to at least maintain it's value, the Duke thinks gold is a good bet.

• Options

hmmmm…......…..wot? Platinum beats Palladium today by $6.00. Yes, yes, yes!!!!! :)

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Platinum and Palladium duked it out again today. Plat +10, Pd +7 Two days in a row. Worries over Pd supplies.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

They are still duking it out. Neck and neck on dollar amount increase so far today.
    Cool to see two of my four favorites running up the hill together.

• Options

Almost 80% of global palladium demand comes from the automotive industry. In the coming years, car sales in leading countries - the USA, China, Europe, are expected to continue to grow. And this will keep palladium at a high level. The palladium market was scarce last year (the shortage was covered by reserves). The fundamental factors of the global palladium market will continue to favor price increases. Gold should be in the portfolio of the investor, because its use increases profitability and reduces volatility.

• Options

Welcome and good first post, Andrew.

• Options

Welcome Andrew. Hey, can I get a guarantee on that gold-profitability thing? ;)

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Gold, in terms of financial assets, is stable. Gold prices rarely soar or collapse. Price fluctuations are quite predictable. This makes investing in gold quite reliable and simple. It is possible to single out the main disadvantage of this asset: You will have to wait long enough to get serious profit.
    The world is probably waiting for big economic and political pressures. The stock market is a big bubble. The bubble will burst. The term is not years, but months.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I look at gold as a means of preserving wealth and as insurance against economic turmoil.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

Metals are up slightly across the board.

The yield curve is now inverted. (Looks like cash is winning over debt at the moment.)

The Fed has declared no more rate increases this year.

The debt load is high and increasing.

Armstrong says that the hunt for taxes is "on".

Rickards says that now is a good time to be buying gold.

Hmmmm.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

“The Fed has declared no more rate increases this year.”

This’ll be interesting.

• Options

@Andrew136 to the boards.

• Options

Down $97 bucks today! I wonder what's happening?

• Options

@asheland said:

Roll to the June futures. Gotta love backwardation.

• Options

@cohodk said:

@asheland said:

nope

this decline is all within Wednesday post midnight

• Options

and

it doesn't work that way anyway

• Options
    edited March 27, 2019 3:05PM

@MsMorrisine said:

@cohodk said:

@asheland said:

nope

this decline is all within Wednesday post midnight

Backwardation provides no time time/price support. The June contract was already $30 lower. Do the roll, add a little negative news and willing sellers and bye-bye.

• Options

But why? I just finished my day and haven't read any news, yet. Off 6%. A bit volatile after a fairly long runup. Could just be normal market retracement. Unless there's a reason.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

When the front month rolled there was virtually no difference.

Then today solely after the roll the price goes -100.

And that -100 is relative to the day before's price on the same month's contract.

No need to post screenshots of cme, I have futures quotes on my machine and can see the bloodbath for myself.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the bubble is finally popping

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited March 27, 2019 7:14PM

🎱

• Options

$1,355.10 right now, goodness, it was like over 1600 last week!

• Options

$1,336...………….hmmm...………....it always pains me somewhat to admit it, but cohodk had a good observation about the backwardation.

There was a good explanation on a top header at Zerohedge earlier today but now I can't bring it back. hmmmmmm

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

$1,329.80 :|

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just looked at Kitco, all the PMs are down majorly, rhodium close to 10% and palladium not far behind. Gold is actually doing relatively better than most of the others.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences to whoever bought Palladium 2 days ago.

• Options

it is what it is.
    I would guess it was in bubble territory and we did not know it. I'd think after the first $100 drop that PA would be bought because of the supply constraints, but it lost another $100 on top today.

now the question is where is buying support?

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    it is what it is.
    I would guess it was in bubble territory and we did not know it. I'd think after the first $100 drop that PA would be bought because of the supply constraints, but it lost another $100 on top today.

now the question is where is buying support?

Backwardation is really just another word for bubble. Warnings were issued.

To answer your question look at past backwardations.