Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Thought it was ex-jewelry....nice surprise it's a cud! Update: oops just kidding

OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 4, 2018 9:15PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Picked up this coin for cheap because of the chopmarks. Sort of a scarce coin with chops so I was willing to overlook what I thought was a bad solder job. Oops, those are actually cuds. That obverse die had seen better days. The big one over SOL isn't the largest cud we've seen, but it is quite bulbous!

Comments

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, I like it, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Dan, hope I'm wrong but I think you had it right with the solder. No obverse cracks, no reverse weakness opposite the "cuds" and they just don't look right. Especially above the "Z" in Feliz.

• Options

Well that’s certainly a possibility. Let me take a closer look and report back.

• Options

Scuba is right, had I looked at the area above the Z in Feliz, or better yet noticed the periodic indentations along the outer edge, it would have been more obvious this is indeed ex-jewelry. Oh well, still a neat coin.

• Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:
    Scuba is right, had I looked at the area above the Z in Feliz, or better yet noticed the periodic indentations along the outer edge, it would have been more obvious this is indeed ex-jewelry. Oh well, still a neat coin.

Now that is "bling" that I wouldn't mind wearing!

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options

Between the 18 in the date and the cornucopia looks like the area "ballooned" or raised up like a dome. I've seen this caused by the heat of soldering on silver coins. Still a nice coin, the chopmarks save it from being just another damaged piece :)

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options

Agreed, I still like it despite its flaws. In pretty darn good condition all things considered...boat ride, chopmarked, jewelry...

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not junk, but maybe was on a junk.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com