Home U.S. Coin Forum

I'm going after a coin that is a pop 1 on the PCGS report! 12/9 UPDATE...I WON IT!!!

HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 9, 2018 7:07PM in U.S. Coin Forum

1st time for me doing this! There are 13 in higher grades with no recent sales on any of those and the grade just below had 3 sales(more than 2 years old) around $250.00. I have a max number in mind. With some people thinking that prices are strong and others saying the sky is falling...it will be interesting to see how it plays out. NO...I will not tell you what it is until after the auction ends, :D

12/9....Just got the email that I won it! Woo hoo!! Party time, Excellent! :D

Comments

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thinking out loud is A-OK with me..........

is it a Jefferson nickel? :p

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon said:

Pm sent! ;)

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck!

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

It must be a Jefferson.....Right?

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

"I'm going after a coin that is a pop 1 on the PCGS report!"

Aren't we all, aren't we all ;)

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anticipation...

• BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭

No matter what it is.......go big or go home!

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck. Let us know.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a piece that does not sell very often. It may be time for a Nuclear Snipe.

Good luck, Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2018 9:52PM

@Stooge said:
    In my early days of submitting to PCGS I subbed a Franklin and it graded an MS61FBL and was a pop 1. Only problem was there were 1,600+ higher.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Franklin graded less than MS63 and I’m hard-pressed to even think of examples of that.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

good luck with your bidding.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142 said:

@Stooge said:
    In my early days of submitting to PCGS I subbed a Franklin and it graded an MS61FBL and was a pop 1. Only problem was there were 1,600+ higher.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Franklin graded less than MS63 and I’m hard-pressed to even think of examples of that.

I was very green with my grading. I used to be horrible at it. I also graded an AU58 Roosie dime I thought would go 66. Now that is bad!

Later, Paul.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2018 11:51PM

@Hallco said:
    I'm going after a coin that is a pop 1 on the PCGS report!

1st time for me doing this! There are 13 in higher grades with no recent sales on any of those and the grade just below had 3 sales(more than 2 years old) around $250.00. I have a max number in mind. With some people thinking that prices are strong and others saying the sky is falling...it will be interesting to see how it plays out. NO...I will not tell you what it is until after the auction ends, which will be a couple of weeks! :D

A few people mentioned thinking this is a top pop (1/0) but it sounds like a pop 1/13? Are the 13 higher a single point or half point higher?

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of pop1/0, honored to own them. Good luck and keep us posted !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck with your bid.... I agree with an above suggestion.. a nuclear bid with four seconds to go will get it... ;) Cheers, RickO

edited December 2, 2018 8:30AM

@Zoins said:

@Hallco said:
    I'm going after a coin that is a pop 1 on the PCGS report!

1st time for me doing this! There are 13 in higher grades with no recent sales on any of those and the grade just below had 3 sales(more than 2 years old) around $250.00. I have a max number in mind. With some people thinking that prices are strong and others saying the sky is falling...it will be interesting to see how it plays out. NO...I will not tell you what it is until after the auction ends, which will be a couple of weeks! :D

A few people mentioned thinking this is a top pop (1/0) but it sounds like a pop 1/13? Are the 13 higher a single point or half point higher?

Thanks for the replies and encouragement everyone. To be clear, the coin I am going to try and add to my collection is the only one in this particular grade. It's not a finest known or top pop. There are 13 higher( a half a point higher to be exact) and those 13 are all the same grade.

• mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2018 8:43AM

@leothelyon said:

36365603    675698  2018-D 5C, FS   MS68FS  USA

tooooo new, but pop 1

good luck !!

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you buying the coin or the holder? ;)

@ARCO said:
    Are you buying the coin or the holder? ;)

Yes! :smiley:

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had the first 1887 to grade MS66 by PCGS - I think it was in 1987 or '88 at one of the Long Beach shows. A dealer friend was hounding me to buy it (probably a 67 and maybe + now). I told him I wanted $8700 for it. He asked if I would take a check, and I told him no, there would be another one before the check cleared. He counted out 87 $100 bills. He probably flipped it for $8800. The late '80s and early '90s were a crazy time in the coin world.

thefinn
  • SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭

Like your enthusiasm. Good Luck!

Collecting since 1976.

Update.....

We got hit with this winter storm and lost power at 5:08am. We heard that it probably would not be back on until tomorrow, but it was restored about an hour and a half ago. I was ready to bid higher thinking I would have to and figured it would not be possible without electricity. My original amount won(actually a little less than my max)! So excited right now!! Thanks for all of the positives in this thread. It will probably be a while before it arrives but I will post to this thread again when it arrives.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to see your recent acquisition.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...

Congrats! More Anticipation!

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am really happy for you @Hallco ..... good thing the black out happened after it was all over ;)

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

so, what was the coin?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Morgan. Funny how lifey stuff happens right in the middle of important coin stuff. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one.

The reveal!

It must be the season, your enthusiasm, and the Hallmark Channel that had me in suspenseful anticipation. Had the elements of build-up drama, conflict, and successful resolution.

Congratulations on the Pop 1!

@Hemispherical said:
    The reveal!

It must be the season, your enthusiasm, and the Hallmark Channel that had me in suspenseful anticipation. Had the elements of build-up drama, conflict, and successful resolution.

Congratulations on the Pop 1!

The Hallcomark channel proudly presents...."Christmas Vam" The heartwarming story of a man who goes on a mission to find a coin with a special past. "This coin could very well have been in my great-great-grandmother Ida Rose Hallco's stocking on that magical Christmas morn in 1880" It was preserved for 138 years and fate has reunited a family with a misplaced heirloom! It's a Christmas miracle that could only happen this time of year! Stay tuned for additional photos. Exclusively from your friends at Hallcomark! ;)

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Merry Christmas to you from you. Congrats.

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice "one" :)

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142 said:

@Stooge said:

Got this one off of eBay a few weeks back:

peacockcoins

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice and glad you are happy. Your definition of pop 1 and mine differ slightly! :)

@Wabbit2313 said:
    Nice and glad you are happy. Your definition of pop 1 and mine differ slightly! :)

Tell me your definition please :)

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2018 9:19PM

@Hallco said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

Tell me your definition please :)

I believe he means pop 1 with none finer.

Wonderful coin.

Congratulations!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey hey hey @Hallco that is a Purdy looking lady + + + + VAM too? Congrats :)

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

VAVA-VAMOOM!!!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

I believe he means pop 1 with none finer.

Wonderful coin.

Congratulations!

Thanks! That makes sense. If that was the case, I would probably refer to that as a "Finest known" though. I apologize if my terminology gave the wrong impression. Thanks for all of the comments everyone! I have really enjoyed being back the last several months. As has been stated on other threads..this is a great group of members actively participating right now. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file