Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Found a run of 6 1965 SMS nickels that may be winners.

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought 6 SMS sets today because the nickels heavy thick frost on both sides. I need to look at the fields under a loupe to evaluate same. There is light haze that likely can be removed. If so I will do so and post follow up pics.

Your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

4 of them are solid. Mice haul.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

upper right, best shot?

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remove that haze, they look pretty nice

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

All could use some acetone. That haze needs to go

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've found ms70 to work magic on hazy silver proofs, not sure about nickels though.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Noice! Look forward to seeing post dip. Will acetone take the blue haze off proof Ikes too?

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with Chris (as I find myself often doing it seems)- MS70 will be best for these. Dilute the MS70 about 1:10 with distilled water and dip them in it. B)

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice haul!
    A dealer buddy of mine came across a run of 65 sms nickels too, I bought one of the dcams. I'll post a photo if I can find it....

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post the grades if you send them in...

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats. They look great!

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking nickels... due to the angle of the pictures, I cannot really determine if they are CAM...none appear to be DCAM....All look good. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are some nice looking SMS Nickels. Nice haul. I would have snatched them up as well. :)

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what was your treatment? MS70 or acetone?

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

I removed the haze with a very, very diluted solution of EZest. I dipped the coins in the solution for about 2 seconds, rinsed them for about a minute then patted the dry.

This works very well in removing light haze from silver and nickel proof and SMS coins.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just checked the price guide (afer looking at keet small date cents) and wow! That's a major score! Good luck with the grading. That one looks DCam'ish for sure.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read somewhere distilled water should be used.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

The # sign.

• Options

My cellphone photos of the nickels are not very good and do not show how nice they are.

Five of the six nickels have the same appearance. They have very thick and heavy frost on the devices and mirrored fields which are very clean. These five nickels, in hand, look like the 1965 SMS DCAM nickels shown on Coin Facts.

The sixth nickel has devices which have frost that is not as thick as the frost on the other five coins. The mirrored fields on the sixth nickel are deeper than the mirrored fields on the other five coins. However under a 10x loupe the fields on the sixth coin show they are slightly impaired. It is a gorgeous coin but is lesser in quality than the other five coins

I was very lucky to find the six OGP sets containing thy heat nickels and to be able to purchase them. The mint cello and light haze on the nickels hid the high quality of these gorgeous coins.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do your Dimes look?

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is they are CAM, if that, under today's crazy standards. If they are only CAM, not worth the grading fees. (You can find 66CAM's on eBay for 10 bucks sometimes.)

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII has been doing this for a long time and, as far as I know, with good results. From the pictures, and since he has them in hand, I think a few have a good shot at DCAM.

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

I looked at the others coins in the sets. Three of the six dimes are run of the mill with brilliant surfaces. Three other dimes are well struck and have a satin or matte appearance on both sides.

Three of the quarters are well struck, brilliant and surprisingly have no Mark's or other blemishes. The other three quarters have multiple marks and blemishes, however one of them has a starburst appearance on the obverse. A very interesting look.

The half dollars and cents are run of the mill.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:
    My guess is they are CAM, if that, under today's crazy standards. If they are only CAM, not worth the grading fees. (You can find 66CAM's on eBay for 10 bucks sometimes.)

This. I would hold until grading is back to normal.

• Options

Played around today taking more photos of the SMS nickels.

Here are two new and better photos of one of the nickels.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with waiting to submit.
    I have about 120 coins I've been sitting on.......

• Options

Here is another photo of the obverse of all 5 nickels. I like the reflection of the nickels seen in the countertop.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file