Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Earthquake in Alaska !!!

Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard there was an earthquake in Alaska this morning. I pray that our forum members there and everyone else is safe !!! :'(

Timbuk3

Comments

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2018 1:45PM

After shock right now home shaking a bit but not bad! :*:*:*:*:*

How the heck is that guy going to get his car out? Wow I hope that is the road off to the right and not a van.

I am hearing the roads in Anchorage is dangerous as most of the traffic lights are out. Every body is trying to get home since many live out in the valley which is 40+ miles out north.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Sorry Akbeez, hopefully were over the worse. Be safe up there.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have a friend that works for the Anchorage police - they are overwhelmed by 911 calls!

Hope the after shocks settle down soon.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

7.0 is like the Loma Prieta EQ that happened during the pregame for the World Series in SF (Giants vs. A's) in 1989. Areas with soft sediment will get liquifaction and it can be bad - like the Marina district in SF and the Nimitz freeway in Oakland. Most of Anchorage is on hard rock base and and they have a good building code, so we will see. There are some soft sediment areas around there, and there a clay layer at depth that has mobilized in EQ's causing land block slippage and consequent damage.

The worst was the '64 Great Alaskan EQ at 9.2, second biggest in recorded history. A 7 is an energy release equivalent to 1.8 million kilograms for explosive, a 9.2 is > 1,000 times more energy released.

This EQ had a depth of 30 km, fairly deep so even though a large area felt it, alot of energy dissipation as the energy waves propagated away from the focus. So was this a pre-shock for a larger one or was this the main event? Time will tell. HST, it did not occur in one of the seismic gaps along Alaska where a bigger one should happen, so this is likely the big one for this event.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I herd on the car radio it sounds pretty intense. Alaska is home to the largest recorded earthquake in history in 1964. Hopefully everyone, there family, friends and coins are safe 👍

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calling on @Batman23 to see if he is ok <3

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad all are safe. Property damage can be fixed.

I posted this in @3stars thread on the quake.

AK is a good tough State with good tough people!!

Best wishes on the recovery.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anchorage totally revamped it's building codes after 1964. Liquifaction was a HUGE issue, especially along Cook Inlet. Looks like today this accounts for most of the damage today -- there were many instances of road failure. Toss some ice on the roads too and it's dicey. Most businesses and all schools are closed between ANC and Palmer/Wasilla. Thankfully the Tsunami Alarms were turned off for coastal areas including the Kenai -- Gluggo glad you fared ok down there!! My kids are in Homer.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the Fairbanks area it was a lot like being on a boat for a minute or so. Not the usual jolts we get with earthquakes. Another view of the road damage:

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope the aftershocks are not as devastating, mother nature sure is powerful!

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least no...

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the road damaged could be made passable in a day or so. Plenty of rock / fill to get at least a basic road going again.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

Be safe my friend <3

@3stars said:
    Most of the road damaged could be made passable in a day or so. Plenty of rock / fill to get at least a basic road going again.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    Calling on @Batman23 to see if he is ok <3

All ok here. Thanks

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2018 8:38PM

Eagle River is trashed. Can anyone confirm?

• Options

Last I heard, traffic is being re-routed around the N-Bound bridge. Traffic snarls but there is passage. Best to stay put and fondle the coin forums to pass time!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

I like your new avatar ..... didn't know you reside in AK as well B)

@Azurescens said:
    Eagle River is trashed. Can anyone confirm?

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2018 8:54PM

Thanks. It's a regular walker I just played with the lights and it ended up pretty neat

B) Not in AK though. Friends and family.

• Options

:D Thought it was one of those 60K + coin ;)

@Azurescens said:
    Thanks. It's a regular walker I just played with the lights and it ended up pretty neat

B) Not in AK though. Friends and family.

• Options

PM sent to Paradisefound !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

Glad to hear @Batman23 is ok <3

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

These aftershocks can stop any time now. Put in 12.5 hours of cleaning up and I’m about done (physically tired). Plenty more work to do. Already booked one contractor to provide an estimate. Lots of fixing needs to be done, hopefully the structure is salvageable

• Options
    edited December 1, 2018 1:11AM

Just felt a 5.2 aftershock here in Kenai. It’s 11 pm Alaska time.It still having aftershocks. I want to say over 100 if not more than that. Probably over 150 of them. Sorry Barnbog.

• Options

OMG, please keep safe !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Between the pictures and the statements of those who experienced it, the damage is amazing... Roads virtually obliterated in spots. I have been in a 6.8 in Seattle... I know a 7 is much worse....At least no loss of life reported - yet. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    Just felt a 5.2 aftershock here in Kenai. It’s 11 pm Alaska time.It still having aftershocks. I want to say over 100 if not more than that. Probably over 150 of them. Sorry Barnbog.

>

aftershocks made restful sleep impossible. Even the dog didn't like it. Maybe sunshine today and I can inspect the outside of the house too.

dog likes the in-between shocks time, takes that much in stride

• Options
    edited December 1, 2018 11:36AM

Bardog looks like you guy are getting the worse of it, very sorry. So far 242 recorded after shocks in a 24 hour period give or take a few. Only thing that fell over in my house was a 20 lb bag of rice.
    As recorded on web site “ earthquake.usg.gov”

Really a great site on the phone gives you almost live updates. Makes it nice when your on the run.

• Options

@Barndog
    Be and stay safe <3

• Options

Restless night with the continuing aftershocks. Dog is freakin. Continued cleanup today. Hundreds of coins got scattered so re-inventory and file.
    Where you at @Barndog ?

• Options

@Akbeez said:
    Restless night with the continuing aftershocks. Dog is freakin. Continued cleanup today. Hundreds of coins got scattered so re-inventory and file.
    Where you at @Barndog ?

north of Wasilla near-ish where the Fishhooks meet.

Daughter tells me we had 639 aftershocks when she checked some website this morning around 8 or 9

• Options

Ok, near Turners. I'm near the Harley dealership on a ridge. Big crack formed across our yard.

Found 6 more Kennedy's buried from yesterday's fling!

• Options
    DDODDO Posts: 44 ✭✭

Vine Road - North of Wassila. Stay safe out there!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

My friend and his family in Eagle River have weathered the event. My best to all affected in that region.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@Akbeez said:
    Ok, near Turners. I'm near the Harley dealership on a ridge. Big crack formed across our yard.

Found 6 more Kennedy's buried from yesterday's fling!

Took the dog for a walk today. Saw some new, sizable cracks around the lake behind our house.

• Options

Keep safe all !!! :)

Timbuk3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file