Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

OT: Shake it like a Polaroid picture

3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big earthquake in Anchorage today, 6.7. Felt it statewide. Luckily after 1964 the town is built to last, so only minimal damage.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3stars Glad no extensive damage. Any issue about Tsunami generation?

• Options

There was / is a warning, but no reports of any yet. It's now reported as a 7.0.

Aside from power outages, this is the big damage so far:

• Options
    edited November 30, 2018 12:30PM

That is some major earth buckling and 7.0 is a major earthquake. AK is a good tough State with good tough people!!

Be amazed if there wasn’t at least a Tsunami watch notification.

Wonder how @Akbeez is going?

Edit to add: No watches or warnings. Just general notifications from the Pacific Tsunami Notification Center. https://ptwc.weather.gov

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just saw a tweet from a resident of Wasilla ;) that their house suffered some damage. No sure how close that is to Anchorage....

That photo of the street is amazing. Must have been a very terrifying experience.

• Options

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder if it has anything to do with the earth ringing like a bell yesterday.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    That is some major earth buckling and 7.0 is a major earthquake. AK is a good tough State with good tough people!!

Be amazed if there wasn’t at least a Tsunami watch notification.

Wonder how @Akbeez is going?

Thanks Hemi for asking. Been clearing debris all day after the big jolt. And I mean BIG! I posted earlier on the other thread -- mainly collateral damage in the house. Most shelves were offloaded. I had several rolls of proof Kennedy's on my desk that were smashed under a shelf unit that toppled. Scattered everywhere. FREAKin mess! Good news is there were no losses of life, but roads and bridges were significantly damaged. All the big stores are closed for cleanup.

Still in the cabinet, our FINE margarita glasses were smashed -- WAAAAA

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2018 6:52PM

@3stars said:

Freeway ramp - piled up dirt like that will "settle" in a major quake like a 7.0!
    The epicenters (including the many aftershocks like 5.7) are relatively close to Anchorage and Wasilla.
    https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/ak20419010/executive
    https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/#{"autoUpdate":["autoUpdate"],"basemap":"grayscale","feed":"1day_m25","listFormat":"default","mapposition":[[60.6866282564856,-151.52069091796875],[61.87945940664658,-147.60955810546875]],"overlays":["plates"],"restrictListToMap":["restrictListToMap"],"search":null,"sort":"newest","timezone":"utc","viewModes":["list","map"],"event":null}
    It's a bummer to have those shelves unload, though.
    Saw the same thing here in California in the 1989 Loma Prieta 6.9.

• Options

@Akbeez

I am glad you and yours were not harmed!

I see that 7.0 has caused alot of damage and hopefully most can be repaired/replaced.

Now those Kennedy’s have provenance of going through The Great AK Quake of 2018.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be safe you all up there ....... beware of any after shock. <3

• Options

Thanks @Paradisefound -- thankfully we didn't send a massive wave your direction. Oh -- wait -- Jaws would love that!! Crazy surfers y'all. I've watched them at Ho'okipa Beach at competition.

@Hemispherical - Great Idea!! They even have bruises to prove now :o

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

We just need a little break from mother nature with holiday coming up ...... fire; flooding and quake :(

Still waiting for @Batman23 to come in .... hope his is ok with his family <3

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    We just need a little break from mother nature with holiday coming up ...... fire; flooding and quake :(

Still waiting for @Batman23 to come in .... hope his is ok with his family <3

Nothing felt down here, I am a thousand miles from Anchorage. Thanks for asking. Looks like a mess up there, I might have to take a drive while I am there next week.

• Options

Alaska-Tough. We will likely have most mopped up by next week @Batman23.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:
    Alaska-Tough. We will likely have most mopped up by next week @Batman23.

Roger, I figured the road would be open and passable in short order. Stay safe up there.

• Options

Copy - let me know if have any travel questions.

Now, got to work on '18 Quake Kennedy Half commem's...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proof Kennedy's with the AK 7.0 quake provenance..... Get them attributed....Glad you did not have major damage (well, except for the Margarita glasses ;) )...You can sell the quake Kennedy's on the BST... :) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

In case you're wondering what airports do...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o80cNJ_XhX0

• Options
    MeshMesh Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

Guaranteed no looting

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

im glad no one got seriously hurt of killed. that is an awesome result in my books

• Options
    edited December 1, 2018 2:17PM

Considering all the damage, it is miraculous there were no serious injuries. It will be another day of cleanup here, cupboards were either tossed out or scrambled. Also gotta get these Kennedy's ready for Quake Attribution!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file