Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Searching Proof Sets.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

We bought a small group of Proof/Mint Sets this morning and it's my task to inventory/search/store everything. Though I may find nothing the task is one of my favorites. This one(I have looked at nothing yet) holds promise. It came from a Pa. guy who bids on forfeitures of Safe Deposit Boxes and he isn't a Coin Dealer.

Searching these sets is like Deer Hunting --- even if I don't get a deer it's nice to be out in the woods.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

Let us know if you find anything interesting

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like the field trip of the year. Good luck! B)

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sounds like fun!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck. Post any goodies you find.

• Options

Kinda how I got started in the hobby. After a bequeathed collection anyways.

Still have dreams of finding a no mint mark 70 or something rare.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anxiously awaiting results!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck...send me a few of the gems on the side...the boss doesn't need to know....I'll pay ask!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keets.i stopped by a shop today to snoop. I found 6 1965 SMS sets containing a run of 6 nickels with .thick DCAM frost on the devices on both sides. The fields are obscured by the cello and haze but they look mirrored. I bought them for modest money. I may get lucky on these.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck! I remember you posting, I think last year, a '68 proof set you found with an inverted "S." I've been looking for one since.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prediction! Keet will find a set worth hondreds if not thousands and will share it here! Maybe a NO S dime or whatnot. Stay tuned! Good lucks Keets! We are all swinging for you.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's great fun to search proof and Mint sets because there's so much to be found.

• Options
    musstangrmusstangr Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

"Searching these sets is like Deer Hunting --- even if I don't get a deer it's nice to be out in the woods."

This is exactly my take on Coin Shows. Even though people keep saying shows are dying, its like going to Disneyland as a kid for me. Even if I come home with nothing.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck Al.... Hope you find a treasure... or a ten point buck... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Proof/Mint sets were a bust, i found two MS 1970 Small Date sets and that was it. the better part of the Safe Box ended up being the coins. there were some $20 Libs/St's, a run of Bust Dimes in F-XF, some Shield Nickels and a few older slabs, PCGS rattlers and NGC no-line fatties. the nicest coins were an 1881 Nickel(AU-MS) and a Hawaiian Quarter.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

In this State, the abandoned numismatic or exonumismatic contents of safe deposit boxes routinely sell for four times their value or more. The people doing the bidding are just nuts.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@musstangr said:
    "Searching these sets is like Deer Hunting --- even if I don't get a deer it's nice to be out in the woods."

This is exactly my take on Coin Shows. Even though people keep saying shows are dying, its like going to Disneyland as a kid for me. Even if I come home with nothing.

You are so right!!!!

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a bust! PCGS PRice Guide states MS(67) small Dates are worth nearly $1,000. dollars each! That's a potential 2K. Worth investigating as my pcgs price guide is probably like yours.
    keet is too humble to brag but this turned out to be a major score unless the coin shop paid the seller thousands for all the coins, but we know that a big doubt it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file