Home Precious Metals

Palladium

JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just checked kitco and saw palladium is looking to surpass gold. Got me reminiscing about the only ounce of palladium I ever bought ( with the exception of the recent flip). I bought it while I lived in Tacoma, Wa. for $150 when melt was $120. Bought it from Dave at Goldmasters if anybody is from that neck of the woods. It was a Panda in a cool wooden box. Sold it several years later when palladium made it's first run at $1000+. Moved back to Chicago and sold it to HJB and got a nice PCGS MS61 type 2 $20 for around $700 plus change. Palladium shortly after returns to a more historic value. I remember seeing on a news report that there was some success at cold fusion with palladium being the catalyst. I remember thinking if that ever happened palladium would be the most valuable metal by a mile. I haven't heard anything about cold fusion and palladium in many years and I have to admit I haven't been paying attention to the reason palladium is currently on a run. I do know I have missed the boat on palladium since I would never pay the current price.

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the Russia/Ukraine problem....

• bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

I remember when it was around $350ish, someone on these boards, I can’t remember who, was selling a 10oz bar. I was so tempted as I knew it would only go higher but being unemployed at the time, I couldn’t do it.

Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Palladium is super rare, more so than Silver, Gold, and even Platinum.
    Demand is increasing for collectors, evident with the latest US mint offering a palladium eagle in limited numbers.
    Uses in automotive industry, especially as a catalyst, and the difficulty in re-tooling between PD and PT.
    Cold fusion claims by a single person with results never able to be replicated, however if you recall Tony Stark used 3 grams of palladium as a power source when building the heart that powers his suit... So there is that.
    Seriously though, I like Palladium to flip gold in the near future, and maybe a moon shot in the future,,
    Oh yeah and as far as I know, the world's largest producer is Russia

It's all about what the people want...

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too hot to handle. Like a Russian mail order bride.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reading this thread, I looked at historical metals charts.... and by chance I saw the value of Rhodium... Wow... what happened there...I remember many years ago, it was dirt cheap... now, looking at the charts, it had a couple of spectacular high points....then dramatic crashes... but still much higher priced than long ago....must have found some new uses. Sorry to get off track... Cheers, RickO

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Refining platinum metals groups is much much more difficult than gold or silver. The level of expertise needed is much higher, also the capabilities to deal with how much more toxic the metals are when in solution. Skin exposure can cause platinosis, there is no safe way to a hobbyist to refine these materials. As far as I will refine them is after I remove all gold I can from the solution, I will add copper and drop all other metals from the solution, wash and dry them and melt into a bar to be shipped to a major refiner to finish off. Far too complicated for my current setup.

As an investment I was glad to have bought PD and PT to be diversified. Sadly now I don't own either.

Platinosis is an allergy-like reaction to exposure to soluble salts of platinum. The symptoms of platinosis may include asthma, dermatitis, dyspnea, conjunctival vasodilatation, and rhinopharyngitis. The symptoms are progressive, sometimes taking months to years to appear.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Palladium is just overpriced silver. Bubble will pop soon enough.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2018 6:57AM

@ricko said:
    Reading this thread, I looked at historical metals charts.... and by chance I saw the value of Rhodium... Wow... what happened there...I remember many years ago, it was dirt cheap... now, looking at the charts, it had a couple of spectacular high points....then dramatic crashes... but still much higher priced than long ago....must have found some new uses. Sorry to get off track... Cheers, RickO

Rhodium and cerium are both components of modern automotive catalytic converters. Not sure if people who scrap and recycle them even try to salvage these metals.

Edit. After reading Wikipedia it looks like approximately 1/3 of rhodium used in converters was recovered from recycling projects. Still leaves 2/3s if yearly industrial consumption lost

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bigjpst....Not sure how expensive it is to reclaim the rhodium, but at today's prices it could be a worthwhile endeavor. Cheers, RickO

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Norlisk Nickel Russia's is publically traded. World's largest Pd miner as I remember. Also China in a big push for Car/ Truck converters to reduce the gigantic smog situation.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's awfully close to passing gold in price! :#

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2022 4:52PM

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for bringing that back. I feel I was a more coherent writer those few years ago. My old brain is deteriorating as fast as my eyes (just got new glasses today apparently big change in my prescription). I wonder if that “more brain performance yes please” shit works. Just kiddin I don’t care if it did work the commercial is annoying. That actress says I’m a real neuroscientist is full of crap she’s an actress from the Big Bang theory

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    Thanks for bringing that back. I feel I was a more coherent writer those few years ago. My old brain is deteriorating as fast as my eyes (just got new glasses today apparently big change in my prescription). I wonder if that “more brain performance yes please” shit works. Just kiddin I don’t care if it did work the commercial is annoying. That actress says I’m a real neuroscientist is full of crap she’s an actress from the Big Bang theory

Yes, she is the actress from The Big Bang Theory, but YES, she is a real neuroscientist! She got a doctorate in neuroscience from UCLA in 2007...

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2022 7:53AM

@mbogoman said:

@JimTyler said:

Yes, she is the actress from The Big Bang Theory, but YES, she is a real neuroscientist! She got a doctorate in neuroscience from UCLA in 2007...

Goes to show ya how much I know.

Had to find out a bit more so I looked her up. She said she didn’t have the grades for medical school so she studied for her doctorate in neuroscience. That is a very impressive accomplishment but I couldn’t find anything where she worked in the field. I have a degree in computer science from Pacific Lutheran University and became a parole officer. I never once called myself a computer scientist. However if someone wanted to pay me big bucks to stand there with a computer I will be a computer scientist all day long.