Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I finally completed a collection - actually two !

dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 30, 2018 4:16AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've collected on and off since the mid 1970s. Never did I ever really try to complete a set of anything. I was more of a bargain hunter and opportunist. I do collect Colorado related items, but that is an open-ended endeavor with no criteria for what a complete "set" would consist of.

When I first saw this punchboard for sale, I thought it would make for a fun collection. Punchboards were prevalent in the 1940s and 1950s. They were generally a type of gambling device. A player would purchase from the host merchant one or more punch attempts. The player would choose one of the holes (2,000 on this punchboard). Using a small metal tool (supplied with the punchboard) the player would push it through the hole and out the back would come a rolled-up piece of paper. Printed on the paper would be a number. If the number on the paper matched a number advertised on the front of the punchboard, the player would win that prize. Vintage punchboards (both used and unused) can be bought for as little as $5. Very few punchboards actually had coins in them, but a few did. Some punchboards had non-coin physical prizes. Punchboards were withdrawn from general use at the same time that slot machines were being outlawed and destroyed.

A few punchboards with coins have been sold on eBay. Those generally have lower-quality coins in them and the coins were probably inserted into the punchboards much later on. When I saw this punchboard it was unused (no holes punched) and there were no coins in it. I decided to buy it and treat it like a traditional coin board and pick out interesting coins for it. The only limitations being the number of holes and their diameters. Each coin hole has a plastic window over it, with a foil seal under each coin. Winning a coin also wins a prize that would be indicated under the foil seal.

Being free to decide what coins to put in it, I decided on these criteria:

1) I wanted the punchboard to have coins that I would imagine that I would want to play for.
2) I wanted coins that could plausibly be found in circulation in 1940.
3) All coins 1930 or older (no President coins like Washington Quarters).
4) All coins mint-marked, except possibly for the two center holes #700 and #1300.
5) As many different coin types as possible, while keeping it symmetrical (if, for example, there was a Seated Liberty quarter in a hole on the left side, I'd want a Seated Liberty quarter in the corresponding hole on the right side).

So, given all that, I had some fun putting this "set" together. It was actually a challenge to find most of these coins for prices that I would consider a "good deal". For the center two holes I decided on a 1921 Peace Dollar and, of all things, an Isabella quarter. There is even a pair of CC-mint Seated Liberty quarters (holes #1250 and #1350).

Comments

• Options
    TeamDennisTeamDennis Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

Love the punch board. <3

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Cool @dcarr !...and don’t forget that you probably have an entire collection of Moonlight Mint stuff as well, and that alone, is for sure Awesome! ;)

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

Played them all the time until the mid 80's. Most tool trucks(SnapOn, etc) had them, along with pool halls through the 70's and golf courses through the 80's. Mostly in Tennessee, Kentucky and West Virginia. I have wanted one like yours for a long time and been unable to even find one. One similar is on ebay for $400 with only coin photos. Little steep for me, so probably lucky I haven't found one.
    Great collections. Congratulations on completing them, I know the feeling and it is GOOD!
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Way cool on both sets!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on multiple completions!

It is amazing the the types of gambling devices that were used to satiate ones desire to strike the mother lode. What is even more amazing is that you filled the gameboard with prizes worthy of the competition with Lady Luck.

The badge in the second pic and last in the second row stands-out to me because of the more intricate design. There appears to be a scene of a cabbie approaching a railroad crossing. The other badges are more heraldic-like.

This is very nice! Thanks for showing your two collections.

Now, can we forumites start selecting our punch-out numbers? 😃

• Options
    LeroyLeroy Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

Those are two very desirable pieces. Just out of curiosity, what's your next endeavor?

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow that's great! thanks for sharing. I never have seen that before.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

IIRC there was a scene in the movie "Paper Moon" involving a punch board scam.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Who had to carry the chauffeur's badges?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dig the badges and the board is cool. Nice.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check out the movie "The Flim Flam Man" starring George C Scott. In the movie, they run a punchboard scam.

It's a fun movie to watch.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

This thread = Very much cool!

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very, very interesting stuff [history], thanks for sharing it here and congrats on finally completing something. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool idea - I really like the symmetry. :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

some bars in northern WI still have punch boards that look very similar. being WI the prizes are bottles of cheap liquor.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on completing a couple of difficult projects. I do remember punch boards...they were popular when I was a kid... Of course, kids were not allowed to play, and money was always tight. However, I did see people play them at various stores... never did see anyone win anything. None were as classy as your coin board though. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are both ultra cool! Thanks for sharing them with us.

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the 1924 badge shaped like the front of an automobile of the day.

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never heard of punch boards, either. Cool.

How did the badges work? Did the Chauffeur buy a badge every year or did the just buy a badge their first year of business?

Both are neato.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats and thank you for sharing your personal accomplisment ..... they are definitely heirloom sets to keep for generations to come :)
    I love the 1924 badge too ..... is it made of pewter?

• Options

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:
    Very Cool @dcarr !...and don’t forget that you probably have an entire collection of Moonlight Mint stuff as well, and that alone, is for sure Awesome! ;)

It is not 100% complete, but it is close. I'm lacking a few things that I was commissioned to make, but didn't want to keep any examples of due to the cost. I do have a few things that nobody else has ;)

• Options

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    Check out the movie "The Flim Flam Man" starring George C Scott. In the movie, they run a punchboard scam.

Pete

Yeah, that was it, not “Paper Moon.”

• Options
    edited November 30, 2018 12:58PM

@Hemispherical said:
    Congrats on multiple completions!

It is amazing the the types of gambling devices that were used to satiate ones desire to strike the mother lode. What is even more amazing is that you filled the gameboard with prizes worthy of the competition with Lady Luck.

The badge in the second pic and last in the second row stands-out to me because of the more intricate design. There appears to be a scene of a cabbie approaching a railroad crossing. The other badges are more heraldic-like.

This is very nice! Thanks for showing your two collections.

Now, can we forumites start selecting our punch-out numbers? 😃

Yes, the 1926 badge shows a car stopped at a railroad crossing. Some of these earlier designs were shared by other states. The 1924 badge design (showing the front grille of a car) has been used for at least one other state (with the word "Colorado" substituted, of course).

I knew somebody would want to play it !
    At 10 cents per punch, the entire board could be bought for $200. The coins cost me a lot more than that !
    Originally, the total quantity of prizes would have been $11.50 face value in coins, plus a number of $2, $5, and $10 prizes (foil seals behind coins). There was probably only one $10 prize, ten $5 prizes, and up to 21 $2 prizes. It is unknown if every coin had at least a $2 prize behind it. There was also a $2.50 prize for the last hole purchased in each section of 200. There are 10 sections, so that would be an additional $25 in prizes. So the total prizes were, at most, $138.50 at a cost of $200. The "house" would almost certainly make money on the deal.

• Options

@Leroy said:
    Those are two very desirable pieces. Just out of curiosity, what's your next endeavor?

I'm working on a small set of all the Pedley Ryan so-called dollars. I still need the HK-823 and HK-826.

Beyond that, I'm planning to do a lot more work in 2019 towards completing a fantasy-date type set.

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    Who had to carry the chauffeur's badges?

I believe any commercial passenger driver, or maybe anyone who made a living as a driver.

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    IIRC there was a scene in the movie "Paper Moon" involving a punch board scam.

@BuffaloIronTail said:

I remember the scam, but I don't remember which movie it was in.
    As I remember, the con artist had an unused punchboard and they already knew which holes were the big prizes because it was rigged. They sold it to a shop owner for a price that was enticing. But then later, a cohort of the con artist came into the establishment and punched the winning holes. In that manner, they would get the proprietor twice - once on the initial sale of the punchboard, and then again later for a larger amount on the prizes.

• Options

@AUandAG said:
    Never heard of punch boards, either. Cool.

How did the badges work? Did the Chauffeur buy a badge every year or did the just buy a badge their first year of business?

Both are neato.

bob :)

I believe they had to get a new one every year - like renewing your driver's license.

• Options

@Paradisefound said:
    Congrats and thank you for sharing your personal accomplisment ..... they are definitely heirloom sets to keep for generations to come :)
    I love the 1924 badge too ..... is it made of pewter?

Most of the badges are brass or bronze, and many of those have nickel plating over that.

• Options
    Morpheus1967Morpheus1967 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

What awesome and unique sets. Those badges are amazing!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done! :)

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are too cool. That Coin Board really takes me back, well done Mr. Dan.

• Options

My father drove a delivery truck in Michigan from the late 1940’s until 1985. Don’t remember seeing anything similar to this in his stuff. Maybe Michigan did not use them.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat stuff! Both are new to me.

• Options
    KoinickerKoinicker Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Both very cool - thanks for sharing!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's some pretty good stuff you have there. I like:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file