Home U.S. Coin Forum

How long do you think Intercept boxes are good for?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep using some old ones. Probly should renew.

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

10 years give or take 10 years.

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good forever AFAIK

• chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, 10 years according to the packaging.

Anyone took apart their Intercept and have a pic of the sacrificial metal?

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe they had been marketed at ten years, but my gut feel is that the sacrificial anode should last longer than that in most environments.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had mine for over ten years... I do not open them, so likely they will last for a long time...I know they were touted at ten years. However, that could have been based on frequent opening and closing with new items introduced etc.. And I may be totally wrong... :# Cheers, RickO

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've also had some for over ten years. Hard to determine if they are still good.
    I just started replacing them three or four at a time. This time I will mark the bottoms with the year I bought them.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    This time I will mark the bottoms with the year I bought them.

Good idea Cameo!

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a box of those.
    Seems to me if you put your coin in one and then take it out and place a different coin in there, change collecting habits and put another type coin in there. Wow. It's like have all those coins being together. That's why I use those really tight plastic covers tear it off throw it away, get another one. Protects the old slab and is inexpensive.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I'm not mistaken, I think the new ones are 15 years.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• jabbajabba Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

There may be several factors that would limit life span if you keep them in a climate controlled area your good for years but if you expose them to high humidity or hot/ cold temps then you should replace more frequently

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since a lot of the coins I have, have existed in their conditions for a LONG time (a couple have been around for over 200 years! (yeah yeah yeah....you "ancient" collectors beat that easily :) ), I'm not too worried about my intercept box wearing out in my lifetime that I have left.

I have 1 box for the 2x2 holders and 1 box of 10 for slabbed coins that go into the single boxes then into the main box.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

“Intercept Technology”. Is it a strip, or lining, or what?

Anyone disassembled a box?

@Bochiman said:
    Since a lot of the coins I have, have existed in their conditions for a LONG time (a couple have been around for over 200 years! (yeah yeah yeah....you "ancient" collectors beat that easily :) ), I'm not too worried about my intercept box wearing out in my lifetime that I have left.

I have 1 box for the 2x2 holders and 1 box of 10 for slabbed coins that go into the single boxes then into the main box.

Since I wrote what I wrote and Bochiman sums up what I was going to write. I felt a need to correct an attempt at humor regarding this product. I have to say that I respect many on this board, but I fail to see the need for the product, except perhaps if I drop a slab and it gets a crack in the rim of plastic maybe this box would keep it safe .> @Hemispherical said:

“Intercept Technology”. Is it a strip, or lining, or what?

Anyone disassembled a box?

As far as I can see it's an adjunct to an already over entombed rare coin. It's kinda like the old days when a person gets so excited about owning that almost new car and goes to the local EJ Korvettes auto department to buy a coffee cup holder or a set of reflectors for the bumper. How about those bras they sell for low slung sports cars or bumper guards that cover your cars bumper and protect your car from being seen as it was meant to.

@TomB said:
    I believe they had been marketed at ten years, but my gut feel is that the sacrificial anode should last longer than that in most environments.

Tom is that a joke? I mean do you or anyone check the anode when the water heater spews all over the basement?

edited December 1, 2018 7:29AM

@Soldi said:

@TomB said:

Tom is that a joke? I mean do you or anyone check the anode when the water heater spews all over the basement?

That reminds me... Another item to put on the home maintenance list for next year.

Lucent Technology, Bell Labs. .............I wonder how VZ is doing these days. I hear friends getting "buy outs"

edited December 1, 2018 9:19AM

@Soldi said:

Lucent Technology, Bell Labs. .............I wonder how VZ is doing these days. I hear friends getting "buy outs"

Is there a patent #?

Edit to add: FWIW

Patent info...
    “In the preferred embodiment of the invention, the reactive polymers are those available from Engineered Materials, Inc. of Buffalo Grove, Ill. under the trade names Static Intercept® and Corrosion Intercept™. The corrosion reactive polymers are manufactured by catalyzing copper material into polymer chains to form a homogeneous polymeric/metallic structure of low-density polyethylene (LDPE).”

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6593007.html

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

How long will PCGS holders last? Will our coins be better off in or out of the holders in 200 years from now.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eventually the sun will go red giant and encompass the earth orbit. What then?
    Will Elon Musk send coins to Alpha Centauri?
    Oh woe is us. :'(

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Soldi said:

@TomB said:

Well, if I kept my water heater away from water, in a dry environment and double wrapped it in thick Ziplock bags then there might be a valid comparison, but since I don't...

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

What I am saying is how would you know if the environment you kept it in was toxic to the surfaces or if these things really work. I got that box for free. I don't know. I suppose if I had a hundred thousand dollar coin I'd be concerned. Now, look at those Eliasberg coins some beautiful, many look like they were stored in a humid area too long.

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Soldi said:

@TomB said:

Slight tangent....had a piece go out in my water heater 3 years ago. Had repairman come in to diagnose/fix. Water heater was ~10+ years old, so I was prepared to just replace it, because I figured the anode was gone and it was already past the estimated life of the unit.

Technician said, "yep, anode is gone", but "nope, don't replace. unit still doing well, nothing wrong other than the $110 part needing to be replaced".

So, it has been 3 more years (come next month) since then, and I still have hot water and things haven't changed.

That's how I view some of the intercept products. I understand their purpose, and if you live where environment may be a big factor, get silicone gel or something, and/or these, but in all likelihood, things will be ok as long as you actually live and hold them.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file