Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

An interesting c/s match up imho.

RealoneRealone Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 30, 2018 7:44AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Note:
curved wording in a semi circle
Capital M, small c, large C and a dash under the small c.
Time frame matches of when McCormick & Co the spice company was in business with he counterstamp i.e. the counterstamp is not from 1796 but a much later date.
Me thinks its the same company.
What say you all?

Comments

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like it , but why stamp a coin
    I always questioned why counter stamp a coin?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a neat comparison.

Maybe the coin was used as a promotional for the company.

Was McCormick’s first initial W?

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "W" is probably for "Willoughby"

I would guess from the McCormick spice Company in Baltimore ??

On September 2, 1889, Willoughby McCormick and his staff of two girls and a boy began operating as McCormick and Company. The plant was a one room, cellar and backyard operation in Baltimore, Maryland. Their motto was "Make the Best - someone will buy it." The first products were flavoring extracts, fruit syrups and juices. They were sold under the Bee Brand and Silver Medal trade marks. Other products made at this time were Iron Glue (Sticks Everything But The Buyer), and Uncle Sam's Nerve and Bone Liniment (For Man or Beast).

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's neat. I like it.

• Options

What year is the coin ? :smiley:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options

@1630Boston I think you hit on something there.

“They were sold under the Bee Brand and Silver Medal trade marks. “

What better “Silver Medal” than a coin to put ones mark on.

• Options

Willoughby McCormick (1864-1932) was a successful businessman who provided leadership and finances to ministries in Maryland in the early 1900s. He was born in Dover, Virginia, in 1864. He left home in his teens to seek his fortune first in Texas and then in South Dakota. A few years later, McCormick came to Baltimore to launch a business in the port city. His little tea and spice shop developed into a large and successful manufacturing enterprise.

• Options
    edited November 29, 2018 2:38PM

It is amazing what people did in the past at very young ages. :smile: [young in age but I would guess old in life experience] :smile:

• Options

@Realone

1796 got me thinking to his parents or grand parents so went looking for the McCormick family tree.

Have you already looked into these links?

http://www.mcretirees.org/WilloughbyMcCormick.html

http://www.mcretirees.org/index.html

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very well could be as suggested, but consider that the counterstamp is from a prepared punch (not individual letters), so the question is, what was it actually made for? I doubt he would have had it made to stamp one coin. It would have to be a stamp made for stamping something, and I am not able to envision what a spice merchant would be marking in this way.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:
    looks like it , but why stamp a coin
    I always questioned why counter stamp a coin?

A form of advertising. Much like stickered
    coins of the 1930-1960 time frame.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty darn close IMO. I like the little dash under the c in Mc, and the arch of the name. No W. and no & Co. I think means early in his business ventures before incorporation. This is the kind of research I like. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting counterstamp... and I think you are correct as to the origin. It is likely an ego/marketing device, probably more common on smaller denomination coins. The coin you have could well have been a pocket piece and/or reserved for special customers/distributors.
    Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file