Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

USPS skunks FedEx

BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

About two weeks ago, I ordered a group of proof silver dollars from the Mint and they were dispatched from Memphis fulfillment facility via FedEx. Took eight or nine business days to arrive, not including the weekend.

I ordered a similar group from the Mint last Sunday and they were dispatched from Memphis fullment facility via USPS. Arrived this morning (Thursday), not really a full four business days.

I am a big fan of USPS (both literally and figuratively).

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Informed Delivery is great. I especially like the text alert when a shipper generates a label. The photos of the expected mail is also plus. No photo, no need to check the mailbox.

• Options

Over the years, I can only think of one USPS clerk who was incredibly disagreeable. He was at Jacksonville IL main post office. He enjoyed over-enforcing the numerous USPS rules, well beyond any reasonableness. I believe he was finally forced into early retirement.

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2018 9:58AM

USPS and UPS are the only ones that can consistently find/deliver to my rural location. FedEx (depending on the driver) finds me about 3/4 of time. Some other delivery services just give up. Somewhat understandable I guess since I'm way out in the county. Nearest town is ~15 miles away and it's population is less than 1000 so I'm pretty remote. Sometimes I'm actually amazed I can get things from anywhere in the US using 2 day express.

• Options

Mint fufillmemt center is one of the worst packagers I’ve ever seen. I don’t even order that much but the last 2 times my items were damaged. I just got a package yesterday with a big box with several proof sets, a couple uncirculated sets and 5 boxes with quarter bags inside. There was 1 piece of large cell bubble wrap draped over it all. The weight of the quarter boxes completely crushed my unc sets.

Unacceptable.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

I might well be wrong, but it may be that the Mint is getting the (bad) service from the Fedex/USPS "Smartpost" arrangement it is paying for. (Assuming the OP had Smartpost and not straight FedEx).

I had a modest order take well over a week by Smartpost recently - any service from the USPS would have gotten it to me sooner.

FedEx can provide good service, so I am guessing the Mint is just not paying for it.

As for the Fulfillment Center's packaging, it is so poor that sometimes I don't even bother ordering things since I know they will come damaged.

• Options

@thevolcanogod Well, on today's received order, there was only a single piece of bubble wrap and half of the proof silver dollars became unboxed during shipment. Nothing crushed or permanently damaged however.

The style of the outer box was different than every other box that I have received this year - probably seven or eight orders. All came from Memphis fulfillment center. I notice the box style because usually the boxes are worth saving, this one was slightly larger and more marginal.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    Over the years, I can only think of one USPS clerk who was incredibly disagreeable. He was at Jacksonville IL main post office. He enjoyed over-enforcing the numerous USPS rules, well beyond any reasonableness. I believe he was finally forced into early retirement.

did you mean Jacksonville, FL? if so I have encountered the same clerk.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

FedEx always gets here at or around 8 PM. :#

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2018 6:42PM

" I just shipped my pants "

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our local Maui USPS clerks are the most courteous and friendly ....... the Post Master would make his office available for any inquiry B)
    With da kine of pay scale as well as retirement package we've been paying as tax payers ; I sure hope service could be elevated to 5 STARS level on each of their location :/

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

And don't forget - letter stamps go to 55 cents in January.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:

How about if you were next in line you simply say that you're an ahole and I'm not going to your window.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

The USPS gets a bad rap. Not perfect, but after living in Venezuela for almost two years, it seems perfect. It doesn't take 3 to 6 months to get a package, it hasn't been rifled-through, then have the clerk ask me what is it worth so they can charge me that go get my package.

thefinn
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

If FedEx delivers this without a ding, then I will like fed ex.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spend about $800 to $1000 a month on shipping. USPS is great for small packages, flat rate boxes etc. Anything valuable ($100 or over) or large goes FedEx. I average 1 claim a year on 500+ packages a year on FedEx and they always pay 100% promptly.

USPS is a nightmare over $100, so I have stopped using them for anything higher than that.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    About two weeks ago, I ordered a group of proof silver dollars from the Mint and they were dispatched from Memphis fulfillment facility via FedEx. Took eight or nine business days to arrive, not including the weekend.

I ordered a similar group from the Mint last Sunday and they were dispatched from Memphis fullment facility via USPS. Arrived this morning (Thursday), not really a full four business days.

I am a big fan of USPS (both literally and figuratively).

AFAIK, the Mint ships via FedEx only using Smartpost. Ground and signature is usually UPS, unless going to a PO Box.

If it came via smartpost, you got the best of both worlds. Slow delivery from Memphis via FedEx to your local postal distribution center, then USPS to your door.

All came from Memphis fulfillment center.

That's good, because the Mint only ships from Memphis... :wink:

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:

Mine take slow pills, which has a contraindication of removing all traces of personality.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here in AK the Mint almost always upgrades my mail to USPS Priority. Often here in 3 days. Occasionally gets sent FedX Smartpost (aka Dumbpost) and takes up to two weeks. I think that's mainly due to being handled by BOTH FedX (initial shipping) and USPS (final delivery).

I've been VERY happy with USPS service -- especially since they went to Flat Rate Priority and provide free boxes ( = efficient handling). Postage via eBay is easy. I have not lost a single article in maybe 10 years, and shipped 500 - 1000 items annually. I will admit on the receiving end, I use a private mail service that's close by and I never go to the PO (stupidly long lines).

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the USPS and FedEx, but I absolutely despise the FedEx "SmartPost". I live in an area that has a FedEx hub that is about 10 miles away as the crow flies. Every time I have a package sent via SmartPost it goes to that hub, then takes a trip 160 miles north to then get put on a USPS mail truck to come back down near me. This all adds about 3 days to the delivery time. It's so frustrating that is could have been put on a FedEx delivery truck and delivered to me later that day. But no, it has to go to Seattle first to get handed over to the USPS.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    Our local Maui USPS clerks are the most courteous and friendly ....... the Post Master would make his office available for any inquiry B)
    With da kine of pay scale as well as retirement package we've been paying as tax payers ; I sure hope service could be elevated to 5 STARS level on each of their location :/

The USPS is not funded by taxpayers. Hasn't been since the early eighties.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

But we bailed it out everytime they posted a lost :#

@koynekwest said:

@Paradisefound said:

The USPS is not funded by taxpayers. Hasn't been since the early eighties.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:
    Here in AK the Mint almost always upgrades my mail to USPS Priority. Often here in 3 days. Occasionally gets sent FedX Smartpost (aka Dumbpost) and takes up to two weeks. I think that's mainly due to being handled by BOTH FedX (initial shipping) and USPS (final delivery).

I've been VERY happy with USPS service -- especially since they went to Flat Rate Priority and provide free boxes ( = efficient handling). Postage via eBay is easy. I have not lost a single article in maybe 10 years, and shipped 500 - 1000 items annually. I will admit on the receiving end, I use a private mail service that's close by and I never go to the PO (stupidly long lines).

Yes. I guess all those Mint surveys I have answered paid off. AK & HI now both get USPS Priority on regular orders from the Mint at no extra cost .....EXCEPT..... subscription orders. Those still go via Stupid Post. A shame that the Mint treats it's most loyal and consistent customers so poorly. Signing up for a product subscription have no choice on shipping at all. You can't pay for Express shipping or even 1st Class. They all go Stupid Post. Travel time to me is consistent at 21 days.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2018 4:10PM

Here's the package I got from the morons at UPS (not USPS) yesterday. It was inside a padded package.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW

I think you can change the mailing priority now.

Unsubsribe. Then re-subscribe but change the mailing priority before continuing to the final screen.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2018 9:58PM

FedEx is notoriously terrible around here (Small town Pa)

One day they insist on me sighing for a package that contains ONE $1.29 washer that has been overnight delivered for $75 shipping.
    Another time I come home late to find a box in the middle of the porch that has the words ROLEX printed in in big letters all over it.

The washer was a critical part & cost us an entire day of work because I was not there to receive it.

Everybody at the post office is wonderful & the UPS driver is a great guy also.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

You all must ship/receive a lot of packages. I ship and receive a few... gifts, purchases etc. on a normal basis. I do not sell things, so volume is not as high as many dealers here. That being said, for small packages, I ship USPS, larger ones, UPS. Those I receive come from all three services...The fastest packages are always from Amazon. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2018 12:24PM

USPS can't hold FedEx nor UPS jockstrap.

If USPS were a private corporation they would be bankrupt.

FedEx is the bellwether for the stock market.

USPS is a failed joke. Their package delivery is subsidized by first class letters. Package delivery without FedEx helping them would be an even bigger failure.

LOL at OP's title. Obvious Postal employee.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least with USPS, I know what time they are showing up...I missed a package by FedEx by about 5 minutes today, I'll miss it tomorrow for sure as I'll be gone all day. So, it will probably sit at the shipping center until I can get out there next Wednesday. Which is about an hour drive away. Package sent by auction house 2 day ship, man that's great, if I was a homebody!

The package should have been sent last week by auction house, as my funds for coin pulled on the 14th, and is why they sent 2 day FedEx. I contacted them Monday as I didn't have any tracking. Coin shipped Wednesday. Would have been better just sending USPS....in the meantime I'll be teased with sticky's on my door, and eat the 2 hour round trip drive next week. Not happy.

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2018 4:25PM

@ReadyFireAim said:
    FedEx is notoriously terrible around here (Small town Pa)

One day they insist on me sighing for a package that contains ONE $1.29 washer that has been overnight delivered for $75 shipping.
    Another time I come home late to find a box in the middle of the porch that has the words ROLEX printed in in big letters all over it.

The washer was a critical part & cost us an entire day of work because I was not there to receive it.

Everybody at the post office is wonderful & the UPS driver is a great guy also.

FedEx can insist on a signature based on the insured value, however, in the case of the washer I would assume that the shipper paid extra to require a signature. Making an assumption that is the case, your beef would be with the shipper not FedEx. Certainly other possibilities, but that is the most likely one.

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

If you FedEx a package across town in Memphis, they will put it on a plane to New Orleans then onto Pittsburg and then back to Memphis for truck delivery.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2018 7:46AM

@Davideo said:
    FedEx can insist on a signature based on the insured value,

That is what I thought & so I checked in both cases with the shipper.
    They said that they requested a signature on the Rolex and VERY SPECIFICALLY told them not to require one on the washer.
    I've been round & round with FedEx on the signature issue before.

My first two questions on the phone are "do you have the part?" & "what shipper do you use?"
    If they say FedEx, I tell them that they have just lost a sale.
    Not kidding.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file