Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gonna sneak in one more....

The earlybird answers have been so great this morning I thought I would get 1 more in b4 retiring to prepare for this evenings graveyard shift. I spoke of this 1855-S $3 yesterday and was asked to post a pix. Now I know this is a mess but it was Grandpa's mess....I'm taking advise as to how to go forward with this one. Yes that's a spot of silver solder on the rev. PCGS said they won't touch it. Do you think NGC might possibly conserve this and grade and encapsulate it? If they did would it bring a "repaired or restored/details" grade or is it worth doing anything at all? 6600 mintage and it still exists. I feel if I were to ever put it on the market without either a TPG authentication or coa of some sort it would be a losing proposition. No heirs to my throne so keeping it forever seems fruitless. What would you do? Thx for the great discussions this morn....

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It definitely will not holder with solder on it. Too bad, nice old coin. Might as well make jewelry out of it... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you checked ATS?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@disappointingcoins.... ATS refers to the competition and means 'across the street'... Probably best to either sell at melt (if you can get that much) or make into jewelry... Tie tac, ring, charm. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am no expert on solder, but does no one think it can be melted off?

• Options
    edited November 29, 2018 10:28AM

@JBK I do not see why not. The melting point of solder is lower than gold. But then... exposing the coin to heat is......

Edit to add. Realized the OP stated silver solder. So do not know if that means silver colored solder or solder with silver content. Would need to know the compositon of the solder to know the melting point.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that silver solder is tougher, but if it did not melt the gold the first time around....

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2018 1:09PM

I don't think the 3rd TPG would holder it this year or any year so keep it as a study piece and save your money :)

@disappointingcoins said:
    @Hemispherical Thanks! I didn't see solder but I was given a definitive No it wouldn't holder by PCGS and Heritage in Dallas but that was last year. I will study this further.....

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think any solder can successfully be removed from gold. I had a jeweler friend work on a couple nice gold dollars and he tried everything shy of lasers.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately it is really only worth melt value due to the silver solder and I do not think NGC would try to conserve it either.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options

Thank you @disappointingcoins for your thoughtful plan to donate the coin for a good cause.

Please contact a CU member @KellenCoin regarding ANA information on donations for ANA Young Numismatic.
    He is in charge of ANA Colorado division to further the Young Numismatist scholarship program thru auction events.
    Good luck and please let us know how it goes.
    PF <3

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have large fingers, having a ring made would be cool.
    I sold a few $5 rings and the 3 is smaller.
    B)

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Couple of comments, if I may....

1: I'm kinda a stickler....when you say "holder", I think you mean "not in a 'details' holder" versus in a holder with "details-no grade" type holder...Ie, problem coin. I could be wrong, and you could mean they wouldn't even put it in a details no-grade holder.

2: ATS is the NGC boards. I only submit to PCGS and 98% of my collection is PCGS, but to each their own. There is probably even a lower grading service that would encapsulate it (I don't know of one, but ICG or ANACS might if PCGS doesn't do that type of issue).

3: Donation is cool...but, if it were me, I might think about if there were a family member I could gift it to....maybe either with one who has some numismatic interests or in a bezel again as jewelry to someone that may appreciate a necklace like that.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

No one has wanted bezels since 1983.
    That coin in a Reno pawnshop would sell for 1500 or more.
    Nevada pawnshops get highnroller show off idiots that regular pawnshops don't.
    MEN will buy coin rings. No one will buy a bezel coin anymore.
    Goodwill maybe?

o:)

• Options

@disappointingcoins Thanks for your updates. You have provided good insight on how a some TPGS’s handle this issue. Looks like @Paradisefound has you covered, too.

• Options

tagging @KellenCoin to get on the loop for @dissapointingcoins generosity :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file