Home U.S. Coin Forum

Odd, at least to me, event occurred to me on Ebay today

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never had this happen before. Does anyone here know an ebay seller who goes by bigdaddyx6? I purchased a coin from him on ebay yesterday and was watching several other coins ending tomorrow and wrote him today that I would pay tomorrow for all or any that I won together(not his). This was a best offer counteroffered which I accepted. Nothing on any of his auctions say must be paid immediately, so I didn't consider it a problem, for if he responded he needed it immediately I would pay it. Then a couple of hours later I received a cancellation notice from ebay saying coin missing or damaged. I then tried to send the seller a message to say that I would pay immediately if he still had the coin, but not allowed now to contact him. I assume that this angered him that I didn't pay immediately, but as I said had he indicated that I would have. I have never had a single problem with a seller and only one buyer in 2000 sales and purchases. I would like him to know that I had no intentions of not paying and that I would like to continue to be his customer in the future. I have waited to pay until finished if within 2 days many, many times and never with an incident, but I will probably change.
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2018 7:37PM

I am not sure but I also was buying a coin not sure if it was him but the seller later told me he could not find it. I understood and kept going. I think it was big daddy. But I am sure there is more than 1 Big-daddy on EBay.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2018 8:02PM

Sounds like something got tangled up in the communication. Maybe he thought you were one of those people that wouldn't pay and just cancelled the sale (poor decision by the seller in my opinion-especially after such a short amount of time). Or maybe he received another offer-possibly on a different venue (that seller is on at least another platform besides eBay)-and decided to cancel the sale (also not a great decision by the seller in my opinion). Or maybe the coin was actually missing/previously sold and he realized it once you accepted the counteroffer? At any rate, I believe the seller could have communicated what happened in a better manner.

You also mentioned that the other coins were not his listings, correct? If that is the case, in the future it might be best to just pay the seller if you're not buying anything else from them or communicate before making an offer about timing of the payment.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big Daddy sounds like a Big Baby.

If you had said nothing to him then 2 days to pay would not even have triggered a payment reminder from Ebay as far as I know.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stupid time on Ebay. Frivolous returns by buyers and perhaps irrational sale cancellations by sellers.

• MeshMesh Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

with bigdaddyx6 Payment Is due within 5 days of the item selling. You can also contact him at doublejcoins on instagram

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

:#

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyer almost brags about buying and returning coins willynilly. Wears it like a badge of honor. Sad state for some ebay sellers for sure.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing that while he was waiting for your payment, someone else made a better offer. Until it's paid for it isn't a "done deal." Big Daddy sez "When you snooze, you lose."

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The trials and tribulations of ebay..... a never ending story here on the forum. Ebay dealings and problems could justify an entire separate forum. Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

sorry to hear that. maybe its just as well by saving you some grief, its just a passing thought

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    The trials and tribulations of ebay..... a never ending story here on the forum. Ebay dealings and problems could justify an entire separate forum. Cheers, RickO

Well, we could instead bore you to death with the katrillion awesome transactions that happen on eBay every day. I have 17 great stories from the last 7 days. Want to heat all 17 stories where everything went perfectly fine, in fact way better than expected.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins....I have no doubt that the vast majority of transactions on ebay go smoothly and without drama. I purchased items there for many years, and, occasionally I still do. I have never had a problem. My comment was sarcasm and directed at the daily ebay drama recounted here on the forum. Cheers, RickO

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Buyer almost brags about buying and returning coins willynilly. Wears it like a badge of honor. Sad state for some ebay sellers for sure.

Which buyer is that?

Smitten with DBLCs.

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

In trying to unpack the O.P.'s monolithic block of narrative, this is my understanding of what may have happened:

1) Buyer made an offer
    2) Seller made a counter offer
    3) Buyer accepted offer
    4) Seller discovered that he
    a) Couldn't find coin
    b) Found coin but sold it elsewhere
    c) Read something here on the forums that led him to think that he didn't want to sell to you
    (he is a member here)
    5) Seller cancelled auction

I don't have any knowledge as to the veracity of the post by @abcde12345 - "Buyer almost brags about buying and returning coins willynilly. Wears it like a badge of honor. Sad state for some ebay sellers for sure", but as a seller this might give me pause.

The seller's email is pretty easy to find in a simple Google search if the O.P. feels that he needs closure. Were it me and a sales was cancelled, I'd just assume that the seller really couln't find the coin. I hope that the O.P. will report back with great news of positive closure.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 17 great stories from the last 7 days. Want to heat all 17 stories where everything went perfectly fine, in fact way better than expected.

Could you post only 3 or 4 a day so we could savor them? :D

@Aotearoa said:

@abcde12345 said:

Which buyer is that?

Confused this with the toned Morgan CC thread.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken
    What kind of coin is it if I may ask? :)

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 Buyer almost brags about buying and returning coins willynilly. Wears it like a badge of honor. Sad state for some ebay sellers for sure.

Please explain to me where and when I ever bragged about buying and returning coins. I take this somewhat seriously and need an explanation please.
    JIm

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

@jesbroken said:
    @abcde12345 Buyer almost brags about buying and returning coins willynilly. Wears it like a badge of honor. Sad state for some ebay sellers for sure.

Please explain to me where and when I ever bragged about buying and returning coins. I take this somewhat seriously and need an explanation please.
    JIm

You didn't. I was confused this thread with the CC toned Morgan thread.

• boyernumismaticsboyernumismatics Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭

As above have stated, that's DoubleJCoins on instagram. Never had an issue with him and have found him to be very reputable on both platforms.

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well looking at Ebay help Jim, when best offers are used, Immediate payments do not apply.

"If you make an offer and the seller accepts, it's just like any other sale on eBay – you're obliged to pay the amount you offered. However, immediate payment is not required when the Best Offer option is used in a listing."

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound What kind of coin is it if I may ask?

It was a 1913 D T1 Buffalo Nickel.
    Jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file