Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GoFundMe to assist Nancy Oliver and Richard Kelly who were also burned out in Paradise, CA fire

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 1, 2018 4:06PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just found out that two of my favorite numismatic researchers, Nancy Oliver and Richard Kelly, were also burned out in the Camp Fire that destroyed Paradise, CA. Ms. Oliver's mother, who lived separate from them, did not survive the fire.

A fund is being organized to assist them. I will post details when I have them.

TD

Gofundme link:
https://www.gofundme.com/fund-raiser-for-rich-kelly-and-nancy-oliver

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is sobering, Tom.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2018 11:14AM

That is very sad news :'( Sending my prayers for the family and RIP for Ms Oliver's Mom <3

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wish them well. They have always been most helpful with research. Will keep a look out for the fund set up.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG, that's terrible !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

At a loss for words. Very sad news.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭

I've enjoyed their articles in the Numismatist over the years. To echo Coinstartled, this is indeed sobering.

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is sad indeed. Our prayers are with them.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best wishes and prayers!

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

I am very sorry to hear this. It is sad to hear of all the people that were affected by this tragedy, but when people you know, even if it is just through the internet, it makes it so much more personal. Again, I am sorry.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    I just found out that two of my favorite numismatic researchers, Nancy Oliver and Richard Kelly, were also burned out in the Camp Fire that destroyed Paradise, CA. Ms. Oliver's mother, who lived separate from them, did not survive the fire.

A fund is being organized to assist them. I will post details when I have them.

TD

I cannot imagine perishing in a fire like that. It must have been horrifying. I truly feel for them and will do what I can to assist. My condolences.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news; a terrible tragedy. :'(

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

So very sorry to hear this. Such a tragedy.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad, this was a major tragedy. RickO

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news, indeed.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

im sorry to hear that as well. will be looking for that web site

• Options
    kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Tom,

Do you know how to start, manage and control a gofundme,
    if not, do you know someone who can

Thanks
    Kevin

Kevin J Flynn
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences to them for their loss of a loved one. I pray that they were not physically injured themselves.

• Options

@kevinj said:
    Tom,

Thanks
    Kevin

No I don’t. Can somebody on here please advise?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm very sorry to hear this. :(

• Options

Check with @jesbroken ....... he managed to start one for Joe AKA Crazyhounddog <3

@CaptHenway said:

@kevinj said:
    Tom,

Thanks
    Kevin

No I don’t. Can somebody on here please advise?

• Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad! My heart goes out to those...

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a GoFundMe is started make sure our host's
    are good with it. Heather, our Mod, was very
    helpful for @crazyhounddog 's fund raiser.
    I for one would be happy to contribute.

• Options
    NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

Very sad news. My condolences to the family
    Looking forward to contribute once the fund is up and running

• Options

I set up a gofundme at the following link for Rich and Nancy
    First time driving one, so please be patient, open to suggestions and help

https://www.gofundme.com/fund-raiser-for-rich-kelly-and-nancy-oliver

Kevin

Kevin J Flynn
  • Options

Most of us in the coin hobby have been inspired from the writings and teachings of Rich Kelly and Nancy Oliver. They have written several excellent numismatic books are write regular columns in the Numismatist and have also written many articles in Coin World. Some of us have had the privilege to communicate with them over the years. They have touched many of us in a positive way.

Tragically Rich and Nancy lost their house in Paradise CA through their fires. Rich and Nancy escaped, but tragically, Nancy's mother, who was fleeing separately, was overtaken by the blaze, and did not survive.

The objective of this gofundme is to raise money for Rich and Nancy, so when they get back on their feet and ready to get back into writing books, they have the tools, such as computers, scanners, printers, cameras, and such in order to continue their passion in our great hobby and to help them as they see fit.

In a heartbeat without question or hesitation, I know they would do for any of us in our time of need.

Kevin J Flynn
  • Options

Bless both of you @CaptHenway and @kevinj for organizing this <3

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG, terrible news !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, so sorry for your tremendous loss of home and family. God Bless you both and all the other thousands affected by this tragedy. I wish the National Guard were there to assist you during this stressful time. Hopefully, more will be done shortly.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

Thanks for taking care of this, Kevin!

• Options

I put a link to this on the dealer-to-dealer network.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good job for a worthy cause @CaptHenway and @kevinj . Bless your souls Rich & Nancy. Just put in a small donation, every little bit helps, prayers and well wishes. ~Bill

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost 100 members on line now; please give whatever you can afford. This is a terrible tragedy.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news for sure. I am so sorry.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

My heart and donation go out to them.

• Options

Well, we have our first $1,000 in the GoFundMe account. Please consider giving.

• Options

Bump.

• Options
  • Options
    hatchethatchet Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

It's very sad to hear of these tragedies. Paradise was a beautiful community, and I'm sure it will be again one day. But my heart goes out to those who are dealing with such terrible loss from the fire.

• Options

I'm having trouble accessing GoFundMe. Anyone else?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

Working now, my bad.
    Jim

• Options

We reached $3400 so far of our 40K goal, thanks to all that helped.

Have been in communication with Rich and Nancy, will be hooking them up into the gofundme so they can
    access the account as needed

Thanks again
    Kevin

Kevin J Flynn

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file