Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1994 SP Baseball Case - 12 Boxes - Wrap it FASC or Keep the Case?

Hey guys - been taking a break from the hobby and now have time to wade back into the waters. I do an end of the year assessment of my collection every year to keep it fresh. I have a sealed 1994 SP Baseball 12 Box Case. I see the boxes sell in the low $300's. I would be interested in the board's thoughts about what I should do.

A) Keep it as a sealed case to sell at a future date?
B) Send the case to BBCE to see if they will wrap it FASC? Sell the boxes over time.

I have focused on football over the past few years and have downsized the baseball portion of my collection.

Mike

Comments

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aren't those boxes shrink wrapped from the factory? If they are I don't think I would spend the money having BBCE wrap them again. I don't think FASC will add any value in this case, Just my opinion

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wrap the entire case on the outside.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they are factory sealed (the boxes) I don't think BBCE
    will wrap them.

• Options

I just checked the BBCE store and 1994 SP has
    Upper Deck shrink wrap. I am almost certain that
    Steve will not wrap it. If not, keep the case as is and
    five years from now have a forum case break.

• Options

I don't collect 1994 baseball, so I have no opinion on the relative values of keeping the case sealed or selling it by the box over time. However, you may still want to investigate whether BBCE will wrap the boxes and what the cost would be.

Although I don't collect this issue, for those I do collect, I would value FASC and pay a premium even if the boxes were originally sealed from the factory.

1. You know the factory wrapping is without a doubt untampered.
    2. You have more insight into the provenance of the box; i.e., it's less likely that it's been shipped across the country 8,000 times over the past quarter century.
    3. For the very reason people think you don't need to do FASC (it's already sealed by the factory), it's more likely there'll be fewer FASC boxes in existence, thereby potentially creating a scarcity premium, for which people who covet this issue may gladly pay.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Steve won't wrap factory sealed boxes.
    He can authenticate and wrap the entire case depending on size.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like your only option from BBCE is to wrap the entire case. would be expensive though. Have to pay Steve's fee and round trip shipping, which, I would imagine is not cheap.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

I think the cost of wrapping the entire case might be worth it because the value of these boxes will most likely go up in my opinion, seeing that Jeter will be in the HOF soon.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see what difference FASC makes if it is a factory sealed box??

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

@waxman2745 said:
    I think the cost of wrapping the entire case might be worth it because the value of these boxes will most likely go up in my opinion, seeing that Jeter will be in the HOF soon.

I think OP is talking about the 94 SP with AROD's rookie.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@waxman2745 said:

I think OP is talking about the 94 SP with AROD's rookie.

D'oh, that's what happens without my morning coffee. Although maybe I was rooting for the OP and hoping that he had a '93 case as the value of that would be through the roof. Thanks for catching this!

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

"D'oh"
    Peter Griffin not Homer Simpson. Check yourself bro!

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the opinions. There really isn't good data on 1994 SP case sales so it is basically a box price x 12 estimate. I don't know if the BBC would add value over the cost (+ shipping risk). The box still has the shipping invoice attached to the original cards store that ordered it.

If it was a 1993 SP Baseball Case, I would have already sold it and bought bitcoin. ha ha

Mike
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2018 2:18PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but when Steve wraps a case
    of cards ,he takes said boxes out of the case, wraps them
    and puts them back into the case. Since the boxes are already
    factory wrapped and he does not over wrap factory wrapped
    boxes he cannot do anything else. Check his
    site for FASC and look at 1982 Donruss. I don't think he
    wraps the entire case unopened.

• Options

@Tibor said:
    Correct me if I am wrong, but when Steve wraps a case
    of cards ,he takes said boxes out of the case, wraps them
    and puts them back into the case. Since the boxes are already
    factory wrapped and he does not over wrap factory wrapped
    boxes he cannot do anything else. Check his
    site for FASC and look at 1982 Donruss. I don't think he
    wraps the entire case unopened.

he does wrap the case if it fits on his wrap machine. The SP case is small enough to be wrapped.

I've seen other small factory cases BBCE wrapped.

Mike
  • Options

@ndleo said:

he does wrap the case if it fits on his wrap machine. The SP case is small enough to be wrapped.

I've seen other small factory cases BBCE wrapped.

Thanks for the info.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think it would be nice to have the boxes individually wrapped, just so you know the 'monster' case hit hasn't already been pulled and the 'scrap' boxes are being pieced out. With some releases having one 'hot box'/case, it would be nice to know there's a chance of hitting it. Steve may be missing out on a potential market by not wrapping these individually; I could see a higher premium for FASC of some modern issues with manufacturer wrap over even vintage cellos/racks.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    I would think it would be nice to have the boxes individually wrapped, just so you know the 'monster' case hit hasn't already been pulled and the 'scrap' boxes are being pieced out. With some releases having one 'hot box'/case, it would be nice to know there's a chance of hitting it. Steve may be missing out on a potential market by not wrapping these individually; I could see a higher premium for FASC of some modern issues with manufacturer wrap over even vintage cellos/racks.

I don't understand how that would work. What's to stop the OP from doing this, then opening enough boxes to get the hot box and selling the rest as FASC?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@LarkinCollector said:

I don't understand how that would work. What's to stop the OP from doing this, then opening enough boxes to get the hot box and selling the rest as FASC?

At the very least, it would help with case breaks (noted on the label). For many of the 3-6 box cases, it wouldn't make economic sense to rip until you hit the hot box after paying the premium to have the boxes wrapped and labeled. Even for 20 box cases, it's still a gamble.

See thread on 2014 Exquisite 3-box case rip from the OP: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/991004/tigers-back-live-break-of-a-2014-exquisite-golf-case

I've heard that Upper Deck packs Exquisite cases with one great box, one OK box, and one stinker box.

For a product like this, I'd pay a premium for a FASC designated box. I would wager 95% of loose boxes that come available are of the OK/stinker variety.

• Options

For Steve to label any box FASC he has to
    open a sealed case himself.

• Options

A few points:

1) The pack room rumor I discussed was specifically for Exquisite.

2) A guy on Blowout busted a case in 2009 and he got the following - Arod RCs x14, Arod RC die cut x1, Arod Holoviews x3, and Michael Jordan Holoviews x2. I don't believe the RCs were shortprinted, boxes yield at least 1 sometimes 2 base AROD RCs plus the inserts. The collation seems solid.

Mike