Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

coin cleanup

what is the consensus on an ever so slight soft brushing or lens clothing around the mintmark in a Buffalo 5c to be able to wee if it a D/S/ Yea or nay?

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Leave it be, IMO.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brushing gingerly with a camel brush is generally acceptable among the coin elite. Do so gently and with great care so as to preserve the delicate surfaces. Especially so on proof Buffalo nickels.

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carefully use a rose thorn.

• Options

@fivecents said:
    Carefully use a rose thorn.

Teachable moment: By rubbing a rose thorn over the coin cause the juices to clean?

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@disappointingcoins Personally, I would be afraid of damaging the coin if it has a high value or a potentially high value.

And value is subjective to each person perspective of worth so I cannot put a number to that.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2018 6:47PM

Do NOT clean coins. Period. Period. Period.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the coin is gummed up to where you cannot distinguish the mintmark, some light acetone on a Q-tip isn't going to hurt it.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dave99B said:

Dave

This is what I believe!

I cringe and shudder in horror at the mention of dips, cleaning, and thorns, and I can only assume the camel 🐪 🐫 recommendation was a joke?

That said, if there is only the thrill of the hunt to consider, then do as you wish. I hunt varieties too and that is my joy, but I have read that we are only temporarily custodians of our coins, and so I do not alter mine at all, for future owners and myself. I dislike cleaned and over dipped coins. I have bought only one cleaned coin in my life on purpose, the rest were accidents. When I see a cleaned or details grade coin, I experience a sad regret for the coin, and pass it by.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2018 7:28PM

@MICHAELDIXON said:
    If the coin is gummed up to where you cannot distinguish the mintmark, some light acetone on a Q-tip isn't going to hurt it.

@disappointingcoins I believe the acetone will be safe enough to use. Roll the Q-Tip over the desired area to clean. DO NOT rub back and forth on the surface or you will leave marks.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is where I'd use both acetone and a rose thorn (preferably a green one). Acetone might soften up the gunk and make it easier to remove with the thorn. I do this under a stereoscope. As you dislodge stuff, blow it away with a bulb blower and clean any debris off the thorn so that you don't drag it on the coin's surface.

On a 38-D/S Buffalo, if there is gunk there, then I'm going to assume it's a circulated coin, making it hard to see the D/S.

• Options

@disappointingcoins said:
    abcde12345 Wow now thats a home remedy for the ages if I have ever heard one! What great advise....by the way what exactly is a camel brush?

It's a brush made out of a racoon pelt.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

To answer your question about chemicals and acetone. 100% pure acetone (not nail polish remover) will not harm the coin in the least. Acetone will only dissolve or work on organic materials. Place the coin in a glass container (acetone will dissolve plastic) then cover with acetone. Put something like a magazine or red book on the container and weight it down. Acetone evaporates very quickly and is also flammable. Let soak and repeat if necessary. I prefer a toothpick to a rose thorn as I'd have to steal a thorn off my neighbors rose bush and I don't think she'd like that! Chances are that the soak will do the job without the thorn. Rinse under warm water and then pure distilled water and gently pat dry. (at least this is how I've done it and it seems to work well).

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@disappointingcoins said:
    abcde12345 Wow now thats a home remedy for the ages if I have ever heard one! What great advise....by the way what exactly is a camel brush?

It's not a "camel brush"---it's a "camel hair brush". It's not actually made from camel hair but it's an extremely soft brush. They are popular with collectors of large cents and other early coppers who would lightly brush their large cents with an oil compound like Blue Ribbon or Care to give their coins a glossy surface and to protect their coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could we see a photo of this coin? Brushing or lens clothing??? Nay.

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a rule most cleaning is bad for coins. Of course, if it's toned, I can understand it...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@disappointingcoins....An acetone soak will remove organic materials and not harm the coin. As @AUandAG has recommended above, you will be successful with no harm to the nickel. Show us pictures of the coin... We could also help with the attribution... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Dave99B said:

Dave

Such sage advice for the ages! you are correct of course, most of the time. There is the occasion where it is exceptable to clean a coin (such as pcgs's curration service) or a mild and gentle soapy dip to remove gum or tar or honey.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, it’s just a little spot. I think I’ll try some acetone. Hmmm. Still some gunk. Better try the rose thorn. Stubborn little thing, but finally I can see it a bit better. Hmmmm, there’s some stuff by the date that might be good to clear up. Oh, it’s a bit too light in that area now. Better hit some of the other devices to “even it up.” Well, now the whole thing looks a bit funny. A quick dip will do the trick. Oops, I put a bit of a scratch on it there. Shoot, now I can see another one where I uncovered the patina. Just a little rub with a cloth might help. I bet I can use a Dremmel tool if I’m really careful to just touch up that little area. Hmmmm, maybe a bit of sandpaper or a short hop in the rock tumbler. Maybe a torch will work to put a bit of color back on it to hide the gouges. If I put it in a vise I can probably unbend it.......

Less is more. :)

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone ever try a WaterPik with warm water on the lowest setting ?

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file