Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My ebay purchase today.

GUNNER63755GUNNER63755 Posts: 22 ✭✭✭
edited November 21, 2018 9:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi folks. Being an old poot on social security, I can't buy expensive coins. Not complaining though. Life is good. When I purchase a new coin to add to the collection, I am just as thrilled as a person finding a rare coin to buy. For me, collecting is just plain old fun in my old age. I picked this up on ebay today for $20.00 shipped. 1879 Morgan Dollar. Nothing spectacular but nice to pass on to the grandkids one day. Seller didn't offer a grade on it, so I thought I would ask you folks what you thought it might grade at. I am thinking VG. Do you think it is worthy of sending to PCGS for grading? Thanks for your thoughts and God Bless.

Comments

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2018 9:31PM

Don't matter how much or little..... or how old or young you might be; you are excited and that is what matter! B)
    AU55 and I would be happy too with the purchase <3
    Happy Thanks-receiving

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never ever a bad day when a Morgan arrives in the mail. I would keep it out of a holder. It would make a nice pocket piece.

• Options

Nice pickup! Gonna say VF35.

genesis156
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice buy, I am not proficient in grading, but I would guess VF-XF range based on high point wear.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well GUNNER.......
    I am "close" to your age (I think) but still trying to put off SS for as long as I can. :)

I haven't taken an image in several years and here you are showing up a lot of the forum members with you imaging skills. :o

Your imaging skills deserve at least an MS68.. and your VG guess on your Morgan seems very lean to my eyes.
    I hate Morgans!

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup! I would say to take the money you woulda spent grading it and buy two more just like it instead.

• Options

Yep, I think your right about the grading thing. I have some really fancy white coin flips it will fit nicely in. LOL. I didn't take the pics of the coin. They are the pics the seller posted on ebay and I saved them to my computer.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GUNNER63755 said:
    Yep, I think your right about the grading thing. I have some really fancy white coin flips it will fit nicely in. LOL. I didn't take the pics of the coin. They are the pics the seller posted on ebay and I saved them to my computer.

Nonetheless, the thing is you enjoy it. That's all that matters.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not worth the grading fee. I would say it's XF although the images make the coin appear cleaned.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF40 and no not worth getting graded. Save the fees and buy a 1879-S or O to go with.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick up. Thanks for posting.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on the neat Morgan. While not worth the expense of grading (just buy another Morgan instead!), it's a nice, wholesome coin. Glad it brings you joy and it will be a great remembrance for your grandkids. Share your stories with them and the coins will 'come alive' with far more meaning.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not worth sending it in but certainly worth 20 bucks all day long

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A good buy at $20... 35 to 40..... Do not slab it... a flip will be fine. Keep having fun, that is what really matters....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GUNNER63755 said:
    Hi folks. Being an old poot on social security, I can't buy expensive coins. Not complaining though. Life is good. When I purchase a new coin to add to the collection, I am just as thrilled as a person finding a rare coin to buy. For me, collecting is just plain old fun in my old age. I picked this up on ebay today for $20.00 shipped. 1879 Morgan Dollar. Nothing spectacular but nice to pass on to the grandkids one day. Seller didn't offer a grade on it, so I thought I would ask you folks what you thought it might grade at. I am thinking VG. Do you think it is worthy of sending to PCGS for grading? Thanks for your thoughts and God Bless.

Thanks for showing your Morgan. Good piece for the grandkid. But you used plural so you will need more. :) So, what whould be the costs of grading fees you could buy more Morgans for the rest of the grandkid(s).

@GUNNER63755 said:
    Thanks folks. At least I feel like I made a reasonable purchase. I'll show this to the wifey now since it seems I made a fair purchase. I ain't scared of her, but after 51 years, I sure do respect her a lot.

Good to hear about your respect for your loved. Congrats on 51 and hope you both have many more.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is what numismatics is to me. Thanks for sharing.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW 51 years! You are a minority (and must'a good hubby). Congrat's on a nice lady (Morgan that is) and enjoy her as is. I LOVE these naked Morgans. No plastic to de-fam them. Happy Turkey!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF45. Buying old silver coins is always enjoyeable. It is a piece of history wrapped up in a precious metal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file