Help with these coins please

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photos are too poor to make any call.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need to see close up clear images of the obv and rev of a coin. Coins covered in dirt shall be a problem. Detail is everything. You may want to soak coins in distilled water for a day or more. See if any of the debris falls away. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Ok thank you

• Options

Welcome to CU. You are among friends. That ancient sediment can be like cement. After they soak, try gently poking the debris with a wooden toothpick. Mineral oil is also worth a try. Gobble gobble. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

• Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2018 9:41AM

i believe these to be poor quality or encrusted late roman bronze coins based on the quality of pictures. Did you have a question or statement concerning these or just sharing?

• Options

Looking again at these fuzzy images, coins look too shiny, maybe buffed already, not good. Care to tell us how you came to have them? Peace Roy

• Options

I got them from my grandfather. Not sure where he got them at.

• Options

I enhanced the pictures so the pictures would be more clearer my phone doesn’t take very good pictures.

• Options

I was wanting to know what the were and if they have any value. I have more also.

• Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2018 7:34PM

generally you can pick up un-cleaned or poor quality Late romans for about $2-$4 each. There are scarce ones they get more but usually they are gone thru before being sold in groups.

these all cost me about $4 each if I recall correctly I had to clean them but most run about Very Fine

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only started to dabble in Roman coinage, but yes, a number of dealers in ancient coins at the shows have “junk boxes” which contain miscellaneous ancient coins that can be purchased at very low prices. U.S. dealers used to offer coins that way, but the practice has pretty much disappeared now.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

I am impressed coffeyce. Nice to see the results of your efforts bore an eclectic group of coinage. Peace Roy

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2018 11:05PM

I believe I can read DN CONSTANS here.
    If that's correct, this is from Constans, who ruled the eastern Roman empire (in Constantinople/modern Istanbul) from 337-350.
    As others have said, many of these have survived, so they can be bought for around $5.

The VOT ... XXX (looks like the reverse side of the same coin?) is also from about the place and same time period, maybe 330-408.

• Options

• Options

Can anybody help me out with the names of these possibly

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    CaptMorgansCaptMorgans Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

These coins really have been rendered worthless due to the heavy harsh scrubbing. Keeping the original patina to these coins is key. I know it is not what you want to hear but at this point they best value is the memory of the person who thought enough to remember you, and gave them to you.