Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can't buy silver on Thanksgiving Day

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

As appropriate to the holiday. Enjoy family, be safe, and appreciate all we have.

Comments

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2018 12:21PM

You probably can't buy a chicken either. :)

Great penmanship! No deciphering needed.

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

No black Friday back then. Just business as usual.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks. Happy Thanksgiving.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminded me of grade school seeing the perfect cursive on the chalkboard.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    No black Friday back then. Just business as usual.

I don't know, I think ol' Horatio just invented Black Friday with the stroke of a pen.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Winner, Winner, Turkey Dinner!

Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy!

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm what's that last word? Instarred? Was Horatio buzzed (for the holiday)?

So the mint had hucksters selling silver at the door? Hmmmm

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    aus3000tinaus3000tin Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:
    Hmmm what's that last word? Instarred? Was Horatio buzzed (for the holiday)?

So the mint had hucksters selling silver at the door? Hmmmm

No, that's an "n". Look at the other "n" in the letter.

I hope this helps.

Chris

• Options

So Instannted? What am I missing here? Hmmm

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

It appears, that in an instant, you have missed a whole day. lol

• Options
    aus3000tinaus3000tin Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:

Dear Sir,

Please review all the other "n" in the letter:

Mint
    San
    Francisco
    being
    Thanksgiving
    notified
    and
    considered
    on
    twenty
    instant

I hope this helps.

Chris

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Instant" in this case meaning - of the current month.

• Options

Regular depositors of silver bullion would have been sent a notice about the Mint being closed on Thanksgiving day. This would include express companies, banks, bullion dealers and mining representatives.

On other instances where a holiday occurred just before a weekend, US Mints would have only limited operations with only a few clerks on duty. Others would be given the holiday plus the following Saturday off at 1/2-pay. The reason was the time and work it required to bring the boilers back to operating pressure after they had been banked. Overall, it was cheaper to bank the fires until 4am Monday than keep them up and try to work. Similar problems affected melting and refining, and annealing in the Coining Department.

• Options
    edited November 22, 2018 9:31AM

@Akbeez said:

"Ultimo, the month just past: as On the 10th ult.
    Proximo, the next month: as On the 10th prox.
    Instant, for instante mense, in the current month.

"Proximo," for proximo mense, in the next month; "Utlimo," for ultimo mense, in the last month (Latin)." [Allison Kilpatrick]

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

@Akbeez said:

"Proximo," for proximo mense, in the next month; "Utlimo," for ultimo mense, in the last month (Latin)." [Allison Kilpatrick]

Latin lesson! :)

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's why I bought yesterday.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

Thanks Roger for that lesson in latin. Had NO IDEA. Musta been Catholic?

• Options
    edited November 22, 2018 5:22PM

Nope, not Roman catholic. Any nun who tried to wack my fingers would have gotten them up her ugly nose.

Odd or obsolete language, abbreviations, and terminology are part of making sense in modern language out of these old documents.

• Options

Touche! Me too. Reminds me of all the obsolete LEGAL terms still used today. Quid Pro Crap. (thanks for the translation)

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fastfreddie said:
    You probably can't buy a chicken either. :)

Great penmanship! No deciphering needed.

May need to be deciphered for those less than 25 years old. Cursive is no longer taught in many schools.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

@Akbeez said:

I thought it said 'instead'. I guess the penmanship wasn't that good or I read it too fast. :/

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options

Many abbreviations - even of short words such as "instant" and "received" - can be very confusing in these old letters. Part of the difficulty come from the habit by writers of using a superscript to conclude the abbreviation. Another is excessive abbreviation such as "disv'd" "wn't" "mech's" for discovered, went, and mechanics.. Also, some spelling variants that were later proposed by President Theodore Roosevelt were actually in common use. The phoneme "tho" replacement for "though" is very common.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Language's evolve... and this thread is a great example... English continues to evolve with acronyms now in common use (i.e. radar, ASAP, AWOL, BRB, LOL).... Soon we will see emoticons in documents (already do in online communications). Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Many abbreviations - even of short words such as "instant" and "received" - can be very confusing in these old letters. Part of the difficulty come from the habit by writers of using a superscript to conclude the abbreviation. Another is excessive abbreviation such as "disv'd" "wn't" "mech's" for discovered, went, and mechanics.. Also, some spelling variants that were later proposed by President Theodore Roosevelt were actually in common use. The phoneme "tho" replacement for "though" is very common.

Early in the 20th Century the Chicago Tribune championed the use of shorter word form such as "tho" and "thru." I believe that the publisher, Col. McCormick, was the proponent of the idea. To this day I typically use "thru" in casual writing (such as here), but "through" if writing for publication.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

TR issued an order for government offices to use his approved "new" words, similar to the Tribune effort. Didn't work and TR eventually gave up except in his own letters.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file