Home Precious Metals
Options

Gypsy gang hits dealer at coin show in Grapevine, TX over weekend

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Posted by Doug Davis on Facebook:

Numismatic Crime Information Center
"Alert Coin Show Dealers"
On Saturday November 17,2018 two suspects were able to distract a dealer at the Grapevine, Texas coin show and steal a roll of Krugerrand's. The suspects were described as a male and female with European accents. They showed the dealer a picture of a coin necklace and were looking for gold coins to make a similar piece. The male suspect wanted to look at a gold eagle and as the dealer opened his case the female immediately reached inside. The dealer said "You just cant reach in my case like that", and she removed her hand. The female then pulled out a roll of money and said they did not have enough and needed to find an ATM machine. The subjects left the show and never returned.
A few minutes after the suspects left, the dealer realized a roll of Krugerrand's was missing. It is apparent the female suspect palmed the roll when she aggressively reached into the show case. The dealer advised their actions were swift and professional.
The male subject is described as dark skin approx 5'6-5'8",heavy build, pencil thin beard with heavy accent and wearing cap. Female subject is described as 5'8-5'9", medium build, Lt brown hair, heavy accent and could pass for caucasian.
SHOW DEALERS SHOULD BE ALERT. The MO in this offense has similar characteristics to recent coin shop thefts that have occurred across the country. THIS MAY BE A NEW TREND AT SHOWS.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seem to be much more of the "sleight of hand" methods taking place, that are very difficult to defend against.

----- kj
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a professional move.... This should serve as a major alert to all dealers...and coin show security (when present) should have the pictures of the members of this crew... several posts have shown pictures, so they are available. Side screens (folding, a cloth type material) on cases can help when opening. They will at least provide a slight barrier to intrusive hands. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's disgusting. :rage:

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh no, not again !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2018 8:17AM

There is a career in politics for those kind of people.

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin.... Yes... and in politics they can steal a lot more and not get prosecuted - well, unless they are really stupid. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited November 27, 2018 11:12AM

I was informed this morning that the authorities know who these guys are.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, nice to know they've been identified. Good job !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

When the hand went in the case could have been slammed shut with the hand in the case. A blade on the case lid would have been a nice touch.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

here we go again. thanks for the tip

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all the photos posted about have they been apprehended?

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

They knew who Al Capone was for many years as well...

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

@3stars said:

And ?

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@3stars said:

And ?

His criminal enterprise lasted a long time even being known to the authorities - and that's with them actively pursuing him. I highly doubt law enforcement is highly engaged with this group, much bigger crimes to solve.

• Options
    edited November 30, 2018 8:53PM

@3stars said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@3stars said:

And ?

His criminal enterprise lasted a long time even being known to the authorities - and that's with them actively pursuing him. I highly doubt law enforcement is highly engaged with this group, much bigger crimes to solve.

Doubt all you will, the perp is in custody in New York, currently. (at least one of the two who robbed me, anyway)

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin.... That is good to hear... and all the way across country from where they were operating.... Is he in custody in NYC or other place in NY?? Cheers, RickO

• Options

It is on the coin forum RickO.
    Here is a screen shot.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

a new design of a display cab could work and help prevent theft from. A folding Lid.
    the half facing the public stays solid and the half facing the dealer hinges up.further, a micro switch can easy be attached to energize a camera flash taking images of everyone around the case.
    just letting my mind run away....

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

Or you could just not hand over unpaid for coins in bulk. Let them see one at a time, taking back the rejects and holding on to the ones they want until cash is transferred. If your easily distracted, either get a second person to help or have everything locked down so that a horde of people can't get to your stuff, allowing you to concentrate on the buyer. Keep the case closed, open only to get the coin the buyer wants to see and immediately close the case. It's only a bit more work to have to open and close the case each time. A good buyer isn't going to be put off by extra security measures and will probably be thankful that you're trying to keep costs down.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

The excitement of a big spender is somewhat of a distraction.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

@derryb said:
    The excitement of a big spender is somewhat of a distraction.

If you keep your greed in check then all should be well. It's not your money until its in your hands. Anyone who flashes a wad of cash is already playing a game with you.

• Options

I never got excited about his wad of cash. In fact, I told the slimey SOB I didn't give two sweet $hits how much money he had on him. It was never about the 'cash'. Carry on arm chair quarterbacks.