Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2013 ASE Reverse Proof Mint "error"??

Does anyone know what kind of error is on this 2013 ASE Reverse Proof? The coin on the left is a normal 2013 ASE Reverse Proof. The coin on the right is a 2013 ASE Reverse Proof with a "scratch" line going from left to right. No, the scratch is not on the holder.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@deciquio.... Welcome aboard... The scratch is NOT an error...it is Post Mint Damage..PMD...Even if you received it from the mint in this condition, the scratch occurred after the coin was minted, likely during the handling process. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko thank you for the response. Does that mean the coin lose its value? Is there a market for PMDs?

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Melt.

• Options

:'(

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would carefully remove the top half of the plastic capsule and confirm the scratch is not on the plastic, can be deceiving. If on the coin, it has lost its "collectible" value and should have been returned to the mint immediately after receipt. Yes, there is a market for such a PMD, but unfortunately it is called the silver spot price market.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

Thank you everyone for the explanations. I didnt notice the issue until recently. I will remove the capsule and confirm.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@deciquio.... Yes, it will have lost all collector premium and be worth silver melt price... Sorry for your misfortune... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@deciquio said:
    Thank you everyone for the explanations. I didnt notice the issue until recently. I will remove the capsule and confirm.

Yes, please do that. When I zoom on the picture it looks more like it is on the capsule. I hope so.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it is on the plastic to me, too.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

There appears to be two smaller scratches a bit higher too - unless that is a reflection.
    I'm in a different camp on it's value. It is still a numismatic coin, and someone may pay a discounted price to fill that void in their collection.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d sure take it apart to make sure that the scratch is on the plastic. If it is, you can get a silver eagle capsule real cheap on eBay.

• Options

IT WAS THE PLASTIC HOLDER!!!

• Options

It wasn't easy taking that holder apart though

• Options

@deciquio said:

Great news! And thanks for the follow-up post.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@deciquio said:

I came here to say this! Congratulations!
    If it were on the coin the scratch would have been not so straight, and moved up and down a little as it passed over various elevations of the Coins surface.
    I would pay a small premium over melt for a nice coin like that even with a blemish, not much premium, but at least $6 over, just to have one.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent news!

In my experience the vast majority of apparent scratches on mint products (proofs, anyway) are on the plastic case.

Once you put it back together you should study it closely to see what the scratched case looks like reflected on the coin so you will be able to recognize it next tine.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bad news: It appears your capsule has lost most all its value. Good news:The silver inside is still quite valuable!!!!
    Hopefully you were ultra careful removing that capsule, wearing gloves and only held the coin by its edge. Now you just need another coin capsule!

• Options
    Morpheus1967Morpheus1967 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

@deciquio said:
    It wasn't easy taking that holder apart though

As it should be!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file