Home U.S. Coin Forum

1974 PCGS Roosevelt Dime MS67FB...the last dime graded in FB

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1974 Roosie dime in Full Band was the absolute last dime needed in FB for a complete Roosie set in FB's. Some dates only have 1 or 2 dimes in FB, while others have thousands.

Anyone here make the above dime? I have a buyer for you!!!

Later, Paul.

Comments

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is not made “by accident”. I know nothing about the coin. That said- it should show up in an auction I suspect in the next 30-90 days. Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2018 12:06AM

@wondercoin said:
    That coin is not made “by accident”. I know nothing about the coin. That said- it should show up in an auction I suspect in the next 30-90 days. Wondercoin.

Then how do you know it was not made by accident? A random joe could’ve submitted it. For all you know, the submitter's name was actually Joe. Then again, we won't know.

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone has been hitting the 1970 era dimes hard lately. Recently a 1975-D MS68FB was made. Current whereabouts unkown.

Personally I would love to see it.

Later, Paul.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like an old collection became available and select coins have been submitted.. more will be coming...slowly, so the prices don't crash. ;) Cheers, RickO

• georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Or somebody is searching a LOT of mint sets....

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@georgiacop50 said:

Or someone just got lucky. It's not even a true FB....

http://images.pcgs.com/CoinFacts/36622991_151875991_max.jpg

• georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Yes certainly a Mechanical Error.

• I have a 1974P dime Fb nicer than the one they show at Pcgs

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Then get it certified by PCGS

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ilikemonsters said:

@georgiacop50 said:

Or someone just got lucky. It's not even a true FB....

http://images.pcgs.com/CoinFacts/36622991_151875991_max.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen one closer to FB.

It's hard to believe any single entity is checking enough mint sets to find more than a very few top grade coins. We'd be talking many thousands of each date even if the sets were pristine. It would be very difficult to locate such a number of sets without standing the market on its ear. While the market has been stood on its ear in recent times and has far higher prices it's improbable this is being caused by a single buyer. If it were it is almost certainly a money losing proposition even if the sets were all obtained at the pre run up price.

Even in the '70's the coins in these sets sucked. About 2% were nice but very very few coins would have a significant premium today. Then you need to consider that these sets have been picked over a little, most of them are gone now, and most of the surviving sets are in a degraded condition. Sure you can still find Gems but a lot fewer, more expensive, and sometimes damaged by tarnish. You will not find significant number of pop tops today because they were tough in the '70's.

Tempus fugit.

@cladking said:

I very recently found one that was almost as close and is very gemmy. There was another, apparently from the same dies, that wasn't too far behind but less gemmy.

Some of the FB's probably don't come in mint sets and others may be almost exclusive to mint sets. I'd guess any '74 FB will have been from a mint set. Many of these don't have any lower bands at all. Even full Gem early strikes often have no bands at all. I can't recall seeing a roll of '74-P's since about 1975. Nobody set these aside and dealers would just put them in the cash register on the rare occasion something like this came in. Even today they wholesale at less than the cost of postage to ship them.

Tempus fugit.
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cladking said:

@cladking said:

I very recently found one that was almost as close and is very gemmy. There was another, apparently from the same dies, that wasn't too far behind but less gemmy.

Some of the FB's probably don't come in mint sets and others may be almost exclusive to mint sets. I'd guess any '74 FB will have been from a mint set. Many of these don't have any lower bands at all. Even full Gem early strikes often have no bands at all. I can't recall seeing a roll of '74-P's since about 1975. Nobody set these aside and dealers would just put them in the cash register on the rare occasion something like this came in. Even today they wholesale at less than the cost of postage to ship them.

I would think most of the really nice FB gems would come form original bank wrapped rolls.

Later, Paul.
  • Right now I’m having a 1980 p dime fb getting graded at Pcgs Fingers crossed

@Stooge said:

@cladking said:

@cladking said:

I would think most of the really nice FB gems would come form original bank wrapped rolls.

It's a little difficult for me to believe there are any FB 1974 dimes in mint sets. I've looked at so many to find so few that aren't even really that close.

Tempus fugit.
  • privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have lots of candidates to send, but I'm so burned out in these delayed turnaround times. Getting ridiculous.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

@Stooge said:

Come to think of it though I figured the same thing with the '90-D until one day I found one. Most all of them aren't even close so you don't even need a glass to screen them.

I can't imagine where you guys even find older clad rolls. I have enough difficulty finding '90's era dimes so can't imagine finding '60 ands '70 quarters. Part of it is I tend to want to get them at a good price so maybe I'd be offered more of them if I paid better. Some of the rolls I've simply never seen.

I like the mint set varieties and the new die Gems but circulation strikes have a nice look to them as Gems and the varieties are far scarcer. I shouldda saved more rolls.

Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file