Home U.S. Coin Forum

Why would you want to make a dime smaller in diameter?

davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got some junk coins and this dime was with them. Someone spent a bit of time to make it smaller diameter and I am not sure what the periphery 'host' coin was, as there are no reeds. Any ideas why they did this? I am not sure if the dime is authentic :(

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Accidentally caught in some sort of rotary device, such as the pump of a washing machine, and repeatedly beaten down.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a “spooned” coin. Where one repeatedly hits the edges until it flares out and looks like a ring. The rims became wide and flat, then folded over the obverse and reverse sides and were pounded flat, looking like lamination around the rim.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

it could be spooned - I will pry up a section near some cracks and see if there is an internal seam or attached.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

Earring or for jewelry?

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    I got some junk coins and this dime was with them. Someone spent a bit of time to make it smaller diameter and I am not sure what the periphery 'host' coin was, as there are no reeds. Any ideas why they did this? I am not sure if the dime is authentic :(

Eyelash for comparison? LOL :)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks spooned and folded in.... Perhaps it was going to be a ring for a child, or other jewelry project not finished. When I was in the Navy, guys would often spoon silver halves while at sea to make rings..... Cheers, RickO

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    There goes the bands :s

You can't get anything past PF. ;):oB)o:)

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Accidentally caught in some sort of rotary device, such as the pump of a washing machine, and repeatedly beaten down.

Not spooned. This is the correct answer.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I squint, it kinda looks like a Greek coin. I think spooned also. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

To pass it off as a half-dime, obviously. :)

Collector, occasional seller

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe my IHC was spooned to dime-size...

... for use in a pay phone.

Off-topic heads-up for Millenials: How to use a rotary phone.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO5R_pFdRFU

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@CaptHenway said:

Not spooned. This is the correct answer.

Can anyone show some sort of illustration of where in a pump this damage might occur. It is cool looking I think. I assumed spooning but I want to see in my mind how a pump can do this. I believe you, just have an endless curiosity.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file