Home Sports Talk
Options

List your top 10 GOAT QB’s

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just your top 10 doesn’t have to be in order. My list is Brady, Manning, Montana, Young, Moon, Graham, Unitas, Marino, Elway, and Brees.

Comments

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I know some stats and have heard great things about Graham, Unitas etc, but I will stick to QB's I remember watching from the early 70's on
    Brady, Brees, Marino. Elway, Montana, Manning (no, Not Archie or Eli), Rodgers, Staubach, Favre, Fouts. Young was better than a couple, especially Fouts, but his career was short and Fouts really seemed to be the one who truly ushered in the prolific passing era.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady, Montana, Manning, Unitas, Favre, Marino, Elway, Brees, Baugh, Rodgers.

Honorable mention to Vick. Greatest running, mobile QB of all time.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

In order I got Brady, Montana, P.Manning, Elway, Marino, Brees, Unitas, Staubach, Favre, Kelly. I've never seen Unitas or Staubach play but I do think they're definite candidates in the Great GOAT debate.

• Options

@orioles93 said:
    Brady, Montana, Manning, Unitas, Favre, Marino, Elway, Brees, Baugh, Rodgers.

Honorable mention to Vick. Greatest running, mobile QB of all time.

Speaking of Vick, I really liked Randall Cunningham when he was on top of his game but neither makes the cut in the discussion in my opinion

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unitas, Elway, Marino, Montana, Brady*, Staubach, Favre, Young, Manning, Graham.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2018 5:05AM

Elway, Bradshaw, Moon, Montana, Marino, Favre, Unitas, Namath, Fouts, Rothlisberger

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady, Manning, Montana, Young, Aikman, Staubach, Favre, Marino, Elway, and Brees.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tony Romo
    Quincy Carter
    Craig Morton
    Danny White
    Clint Longley
    Gary Hogeboom
    Steve Pelluer
    Jason Garrett
    Steve Beuerlein
    Babe Laufenberg

• Options

I can see White and Romo as borderline. But wouldn't you think Aikman or Staubach might be even better picks?

• Options

Do people really think that Rodgers doesn't belong in top 10?? I can't stand him as he has killed the Cowboys several times and he comes across with such arrogance as if he is so great ... well, whatever. But, he is the highest rated QB in history and its not really that close. He has an absurd TD/INT ratio, MVP, Super Bowl MVP. and he is looked at as a "Bad Man" by nearly every team that plays them. That being said, I'm glad the Seattle curse got him again. Since he hasn't played as long as most of the ones on these lists, I would compare him to Young and ask why Young is better?

• Options

Rodgers is a top 20 player.

• Options

Really, only top 20? There is almost the same difference between Rodgers and 2nd place as there is between 2nd and 9th places. I root against him every time other than if he can help out Dallas. But, he really doesn't have a single weakness with his game.

• Options

There is almost the same difference between Rodgers and 2nd place as there is between 2nd and 9th places.

I should have clarified this statement as I was referring to all time QB rating.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d have durability concerns with Rodgers ability to last in an era when you could really hit the QB, seeing as how he can’t make it through a full season as is.

Really nice player for sure but this is the easiest era (ever) for QBs to produce great numbers. Average players put forth prodigious totals. I don’t believe it is because they are all better players.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Rogers was so busy last night trying to look cool and unruffled that he couldn't connect on a simple
    3rd and 2 and lost the game for the Pack.
    Instead of always trying to look cool I think maybe he should display a since of urgency when called for.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

I can’t stand Aaron Rodgers, and honestly I hold it against him and never give him the credit he deserves, he definitely is a great QB

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Opinions are like opinions. Everyone has one based on facts that can't be disputed. Others opinions are based on emotional ties with no factual basis. So here is my top ten and I'm sure I could be persuaded to change my picks after listening to thoughtful facts and opinions brought to my attention.
    1. Otto Graham

1. Tom Brady
    2. Payton Manning
    3. Bart Starr
    4. Roger Staubach
    5. John Unitas
    6. Joe Montana
    7. Drew Brees
    8. Dan Marino
    9. John Elway
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    I think Rogers was so busy last night trying to look cool and unruffled that he couldn't connect on a simple
    Instead of always trying to look cool I think maybe he should display a since of urgency when called for.

Every game is like a movie and he wants to be the star. Why does he waste so much time on the play clock when his team actually needs it? He noticed one time that commentators made a big thing of him drawing a defense offside so he tries to do it on every single friggin snap. That is not a new thing anymore Aaron lets move on.

He always throws team mates under the bus after a loss, at least Brady has the decency to get his wife to do that for him.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    Tony Romo
    Quincy Carter
    Craig Morton
    Danny White
    Clint Longley
    Gary Hogeboom
    Steve Pelluer
    Jason Garrett
    Steve Beuerlein
    Babe Laufenberg

Danny White is the only really good one on that list.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    Tony Romo
    Quincy Carter
    Craig Morton
    Danny White
    Clint Longley
    Gary Hogeboom
    Steve Pelluer
    Jason Garrett
    Steve Beuerlein
    Babe Laufenberg

Wasn't Gary Hogeboom on Survivor?

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lightningboy said:
    I can see White and Romo as borderline. But wouldn't you think Aikman or Staubach might be even better picks?

no. they accomplished way too much to be on my list.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@Darin said:

Every game is like a movie and he wants to be the star. Why does he waste so much time on the play clock when his team actually needs it? He noticed one time that commentators made a big thing of him drawing a defense offside so he tries to do it on every single friggin snap. That is not a new thing anymore Aaron lets move on.

He always throws team mates under the bus after a loss, at least Brady has the decency to get his wife to do that for him.

Totally agreed

• Options

Putting Otto Graham on a list of top QB's is laughable.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

Go to profootballreference.com and look up his passing numbers. The numbers that are in bold are
    when he led the league. He lead the league in a lot of different categories. I think the most impressive
    is his passer rating numbers, very high for that time period.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2018 10:18AM

@DIMEMAN said:

Otto Graham was a terrific QB and ahead of his time. It is ridiculous to judge his ability by comparing his stats to those playing in the modern era.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2018 10:31AM

@DIMEMAN said:

@galaxy27 said:
    Tony Romo
    Quincy Carter
    Craig Morton
    Danny White
    Clint Longley
    Gary Hogeboom
    Steve Pelluer
    Jason Garrett
    Steve Beuerlein
    Babe Laufenberg

Danny White is the only really good one on that list.

And Garrett should be replaced with Cowboy Bernie Kosar.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

In no order:
    Montana
    Marino
    Elway
    Graham
    Staubach
    Moon
    Unitas
    Brady
    Manning
    Brees

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.