Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

How can lacquer be removed from a coin?

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if it is possible.
will Acetone perhaps do the job? or something like it?
I have 2 coins which appear to be lacquered. If this would not be they would be very nice grades.
I have tried to photograph these, but the clear lacquer does not show well. it actually make the coins look ugly and shiny.
my first thought was that the coins had been whizzed. However, there would be traces visible when under a 20x enlargement.
Hopefully someone can help.
thank you all.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• jdmernjdmern Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

Acetone should work

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do not rub the coin, only pat or gently roll a wet q tip over the surface. Since you don't know what the coating is, let it soak for a while. Acetone will not hurt the coin. Be patient. Flip the coin over. Acetone evaporates fast so cover the glass bowl with foil. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• I've had experiences where removing the lacquer from copper/bronze made the coin look worse. Lacquer and oil cover up the wild AT colors from being dipped in some cleaning chemicals.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Come on, give us some before and after pics. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52