Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1934 AL MVP Voting

Comments

• Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

Must have been friendlier to the press :)

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love seeing Detroit dominating that MVP ballot!

• Options
    JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

And here I thought Mo Vaughn winning AL MVP over Albert Belle was a travesty.

Look at the Gehrig vs. Cochrane numbers comparison! LOL

-Collecting anything vintage
  • Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

Insane! For those like me who were interested why, here’s a link that gives some insight.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/296823-triple-crown-winner-lou-gehrig-no-mvp

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

In hindsight it looks like a poor decision. I am not sure how it looked in context. the article intimated that cochrane was an important leader on the team.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the definition of the award's intention by design could be made a bit more clear. Here is an article on that subject, that provides a decent summary of various points of view and interpretation relative to what is considered when voting:

espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/16536/mvp-debate-what-does-mvp-mean

The Hart Trophy in the NHL (MVP voted by the Writer's Association) is a bit more concise, stated as going to "the player judged most valuable to his team." By contrast, the Ted Lindsay award (formerly the Lester B. Pearson) is the NHL MVP award going to "the league's most outstanding player" as voted by the Player's Association. Applying the Hart Trophy definition to the 1934 MLB A.L. MVP award could be an explanation as to why Cochrane won it. Even in the NHL, we do not see voters adhere to the expressed definition of the award though. If they did, Connor Hellebuyck (Winnipeg Jets) should have won the Hart last year, with a slight voting edge over Pekka Rinne, and neither of them were in the top 10 in voting, proving voters ignore the definition. (Similarly, the Norris all too often ends up disappointingly becoming an Art Ross Trophy for defensemen (highest scoring), instead of being voted and awarded according to its expressed definition "defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-around ability in the position.") However, with different definitions of the two NHL MVP awards, it still makes sense that Connor McDavid won the Lindsay last year.

All that said, IMO the way the MLB awards two trophies per season, one per league, as opposed to one overall, seems a bit of an archaic holdover from when the A.L. and N.L. merged. Especially now that all teams play each other in the regular season, I believe they should award trophies more like the NHL. No one-per-conference awards, just one overall for each category. Interestingly enough, the MLB Players Choice Awards have an MVP per league, as well as an overall MVP.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

What happened?

Mickey Cochrane was the best defensive catcher in baseball at the time. He had a very productive season at the time (.320, 78 RBI).

And he MANAGED THE TEAM!

It’s actually hard to imagine being any more valuable than that when you think about it. Managing that Tiger team to first place over the Yankees - while playing one of the most physically demanding positions in all of sport - may be one of the most impressive sporting feats of all time.

This from a Yankee fan, mind you.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Wow, must be something more to this. Generally numbers like what Gehrig put up are what voters look at.

• Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

MVP=Most Valuable Player not Most Valuable Player / Manager.
    Manager is a staff position not a playing position he should have
    only received votes on what he did behind the plate not what he
    did setting on the bench.

There are nine fielding positions and the designated hitter. Each position conventionally has an associated number, which is used to score putouts: 1 (pitcher), 2 (catcher), 3 (first baseman), 4 (second baseman), 5 (third baseman), 6 (shortstop), 7 (left fielder), 8 (center fielder), and 9 (right fielder).

James

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

James,

At what point is he not both though? The 25 games he didn’t catch - that’s it. It’s a rare and special case and I don’t think it a crime that he won it.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

No matter how you spin it, it was an absolute travesty.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

Besides the obvious Gehrig..........Jimmy Foxx, Hal Trosky, and Hank Greenburgh all deserved it over Cochrane.

• Options
    jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

34 was Gehrig's Triple Crown season.