Home Precious Metals

Some "old timer" skinny on stacking.

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reading the threads on poured bars.

OTS (Old Timer Skinny).. ;) Poured bars should be purchased as ....collectibles.
I would not "stack" poured bars for TSHTF scenarios. Or even speculating on major price appreciation for that matter.

Any price appreciation will usually speed the circulation of buy/sells and new people will get involved.
New speculators will only be concerned with liquidity.
Right now, with silver relatively cheap, poured bars fly off coin shop shelves to people who like the "neat" factor.

In a serious market move (up OR down) the stuff has to be in DEMAND.....EVERYWHERE!

And that means HIGHLY recognized form! Am silver Eagles, major refiner bars, and for SHTF times....90% silver COINS.

Back in (wish I had kept a journal) early 2000's ...I think.... the ONLY silver that would trade at spot was 1000 oz "good delivery" Comex liquid bars. Yep, the market was so frantic that buyers and wholesalers wanted to be able to satisfy "contracts" and only 1000 oz bars will do that.

It can be a madhouse. Back in the heady 1980 silver rocket ride to $50 or thereabouts, even finding a buyer (on teletype) for ....100.... oz bars was chancy. One late afternoon the only quote I could find for a $5000 silver 100 ozer was 42 bucks an ounce!!

So....summing up. The poured bars sold well to retail buyers. Not much to wholesale buyers of quantity.

....Just sayin' :)

GOLD on the other hand was liquid all the time in all the crazy markets. Which is why I don't hold much silver but do hold gold

:)

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver is often considered good since a small price increase is reflected in a more significant 'percentage'....however, the liquidity of gold, IMO, offsets that benefit..... Although gold rises slower, it is always easier to sell/trade/barter.... Cheers, RickO

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it all. And I buy bullion and older gold. I am finding great deals in both.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the new avatar! :D

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

Well, now we know who cleans his coins! :D

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dpoole said:

@asheland said:

Well, now we know who cleans his coins! :D

:D:D:D

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree 100%, keep it simple and liquid.

When the market is hot you might get a bit extra for those fancy kooks, pandas, old poured bars, proof ASE's etc. When the market is slow your not going to get anymore then you would with a bag of 90% junk. As for liquid, good luck finding a buyer for war nickels, 40% Kennedys, 80% Canadian etc. when the market is slow.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

On eBay I can dump anything...

• davidkdavidk Posts: 274 ✭✭✭

@USASoccer said:

Today perhaps, but at what price?

The OP was making a point that some items are more liquid than others depending on several factors.

Being able to ‘dump’ something on eBay is beyond obvious...at what price, and under which market conditions, is an important consideration for the serious holder.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do sellers charge more than spot?
    Because they can.
    Why do sellers accept less than spot?
    Because they have to.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do sellers accept less than spot?
    Because they have to.

Or because they decide to. The other option is to have a good cash reserve, and do nothing.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

@davidk said:

@USASoccer said:

The OP was making a point that some items are more liquid than others depending on several factors.

Being able to ‘dump’ something on eBay is beyond obvious...at what price, and under which market conditions, is an important consideration for the serious holder.

The best prices I have ever received on any bullion is through eBay even after the fees. I find dealers leave a lot to be desired.

• davidkdavidk Posts: 274 ✭✭✭

@USASoccer said:

@davidk said:

@USASoccer said:

The best prices I have ever received on any bullion is through eBay even after the fees. I find dealers leave a lot to be desired.

That's good to know. I'm guessing that dealers are buying at wholesale, and an eBay sale is closer to retail.

@davidk said:

@USASoccer said:

@davidk said:

@USASoccer said:

That's good to know. I'm guessing that dealers are buying at wholesale, and an eBay sale is closer to retail.

That is what I am getting at, coins/bullion is easy to ship and on eBay I always get the best sale price even on dregs.

• ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess that the ability to use your credit card on ebay via paypal for bullion without any kind of extra fee would be attractive. Someone could create their own "cash advance" by buying the bullion on ebay and cashing it in at a B&M or other buyer.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.