Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

WWI Victory and Participation Medals

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 12, 2018 12:50AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Does anyone collect WWI Victory and Participation Medals? I find them fascinating because of the allegorical designs, the attribution to individual participants, and the large variety of designs issued by countries, states and localities.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are very impressive items.... Especially that large plaque.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    THOMAS655THOMAS655 Posts: 65 ✭✭✭

THIS MEDAL WAS LOOPED AND APPARENTLY WORN BY A WORLD WAR 1 VETERAN AT SOME POINT DUE TO THE WEAR. THERE ARE HIGHER GRADED EXAMPLES OF THIS, BUT I THINK THAT THIS IS VERY INTERESTING SINCE IT WAS PROBABLY PROUDLY WORN BY A WW1 VETERAN!! THERE ARE ONLY (5) OF THIS TYPE LISTED IN THE NGC CENSUS WITH LOOPS. THIS MEDAL WAS APPARENTLY AWARDED TO A SOLDIER WHO SERVED OVERSEAS BUT NOT IN BATTLE PER BELOW FROM THE SO-CALLED DOLLAR BOOK:

The medal without clasps was distributed to troops who served in the U.S. only; medal with single clasp, to those who served overseas but not in battle; medal with more than one clasp, to men who participated in more than one major operation. While issue obviously was large, pieces came with loop and ribbon. Unlooped medals are quite rare.

I THANK THIS SOLDIER WHOEVER HE MIGHT HAVE BEEN FOR HIS SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY IN WORLD WAR 1.

• Options
    THOMAS655THOMAS655 Posts: 65 ✭✭✭

Attached are pictures of my American Saviors of LIberty So-Called dollar HK-903, and my French version Victory of Right So-Called dollar HK-903A. Both of these are Top Pops in the NGC census to date.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file