Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How much difference does it make to you....

To own a card you want to own in a certain grade if you submitted that card yourself and got the desired result? For example, I would like to own a 1980 Rickey Henderson RC in PSA 8 or maybe 8.5 and think it would be REALLY cool if I bought the card raw and sent it in and got an 8+ rather than just buy an 8 on eBay.

With that in mind, I probably would overpay for a raw sample that may or may not hit that mark for that satisfaction rather than just buy one that pops up on eBay or wherever. In addition, knowing that grading standards have tightened over the years I would be more secure in knowing that it is a "true" 8 or whatever grade....

Comments

• Options
    Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

Interesting. I guess I haven’t thought of it before but there is a certain extra enjoyment/thrill I get out of self subbing the card. Hmmm. I’ll have to consider that more. That being said I wouldn’t knowingly overpay for the raw card just for that thrill.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

The same logic applies to why many of us buy packs hoping to pull the card we want out of a pack, rather than just buying it outright. More of a thrill that way. Takes many of us back to our childhood when we had that thrill of pulling a Mantle card etc.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@Mintacular said:
    To own a card you want to own in a certain grade if you submitted that card yourself and got the desired result? For example, I would like to own a 1980 Rickey Henderson RC in PSA 8 or maybe 8.5 and think it would be REALLY cool if I bought the card raw and sent it in and got an 8+ rather than just buy an 8 on eBay.

With that in mind, I probably would overpay for a raw sample that may or may not hit that mark for that satisfaction rather than just buy one that pops up on eBay or wherever. In addition, knowing that grading standards have tightened over the years I would be more secure in knowing that it is a "true" 8 or whatever grade....

I own most major cards from 1987 Donruss in a PSA 10 because it's one of my favorite sets. But given how condition sensitive it is, it is much more meaningful to me to submit myself and get a 10. I've ripped tons of 87D but with only mediocre results from my subs. But, in the rare instance where I do hit a 10, it is way more satisfying than buying it straight from the secondary market already slabbed as a 10.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

I wouldn’t overpay for that satisfaction. If I thought a card had a solid shot at an 8, I’d pay the price of a 7 for the raw card. I’ve had decent success doing that but after having the card a while the extra meaning it has wears off.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2018 7:29AM

@Mintacular said:

Well, I think that’s part of the reason why I collect - to buy raw and submit myself. Lots of fun and a sense of pride in my ‘eye’ for spotting an actual high grade copy and assessing properly - makes you feel like an expert, I guess.

When it comes to top graded, valuable cards?

My recommendation is to buy them slabbed or it can get very expensive. If you overpay for 2-3 of your favorite in high raw grade and get 2-3 7s instead of 8s? Could be you’re out the same dough as an 8 (or two with grading fees) and still not have one.

If you know what I mean and your like me, you’ll have far less money, cards to sell for a loss and an even stronger desire for the 8.5 😂

EDIT: I’ll also submit that one of the great thrills of my grading ‘career’, if you will, was a sub not too far back where I knew there was a pretty good chance one of the cards was a sure fire upgrade for me and one other was pretty sharp but surprisingly ended up with TWO TOP POP cards for my namesake set. It really doesn’t get much better than that...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

doesnt matter to me at all. I just enjoy owning the cards. dont care who filled out the submission form. I have only graded 10 or so cards in the last 30 years. that would have been back in the early 2000's when Larry Fritch was stumping for SCD grading. It was cheap at the time and I gave it a shot. I buy tons of PSA cards, but they are already slabbed.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have "overpaid" for raw examples and had them graded. It is a great feeling when the card grades what you wanted and even greater if it exceeds that expectation.

However, it seems to me that of late my luck has gone the other way.

If i "need" a card in a certain grade, I usually buy one already graded. My budget does not allow for gambling on a raw card.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set