Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Variety Hunter, how I Cherrypick

Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

The most thrilling aspect of this hobby for me is Variety hunting. It is always open season, no permit required, and the only limit is how much one is willing to gamble on initial purchase.

I have spent years studying a multitude of varieties either by reading books, websites, discussions, or analyzing literally Thousands of images. When determined I tend to view appropriately 1,000 images or more per week. I will study photos of known varieties made from all sorts of angles and light, blurred and clear to learn how to recognize characteristics in the commonly poor quality pics found on eBay.

I put serious effort and labor into my craft of cherrypicking. Because the amount of time and dedication I have for hunting, I generally have no moral qualm with picking at normal prices. I see it no different than making selections based on eye appeal. The hours of eye training that I put in have landed me several major varieties over the years. Although if I have a close relationship wth a seller or dealer I will identify the variety. I have also attributed many other series for free, for my local coin shop, as a goodwill gesture.

I believe that variety hunters face a difficult hobby, as many times it is HARD to make a positive ID, and when I share Varieties sometimes people do not see it, may disagree or dispute the fact, or look down on the coin or effort involved. This is not meant to disparage naysayers as without opposition, a hunter’s confidence might eclipse their skill.

I often request relatives or non coin people to to view and compare photos of what I believe are possible unattributed varieties. I have about three women I go to for such visual comparisons, to ask them to verify my suppositions. This can be helpful and stressful, ha, as sometimes they see it and sometimes they do not (even if it is definite)

I, somewhat precariously, rely on CoinFacts to help me identify and recognize variety coins, Cherry pickers guide, and also variety vista. Many times important die marks are not mentioned and must be discovered and identified personally since I cannot find a condensed reference for such information. Inaccurately identified Varieties in pictures are the bane of my obsession and make comparisons impossible.

I write this because at times I feel as though I post a lot of finds, which may seem unusual or too Lucky 🍀 to some viewers. If this has ever crossed someone’s mind, I assure you I have dozens of “failed attempts” in my collection, I have spent a lot on grading and picking. I have no shame in posting an incorrect pick, as I can learn from correction and others can see the less glorious aspects of picking. Thank you for reading.
Happy Hunting,
Roccout

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice post, good perspective.
    Thanks for writing this. It opened my eyes a bit to how a variety hunter may view the hobby, and it gave me ideas for myself if I ever feel inclined to start variety hunting.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. But the hunting grounds were so much richer with game 25-50 years ago.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a variety guy too. I am oh for October. About 10 coins I thought were something and upon getting them in the mail in hand they are NOT. About the worst streak I have ever had. Part of the game I guess.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    I'm a variety guy too. I am oh for October. About 10 coins I thought were something and upon getting them in the mail in hand they are NOT. About the worst streak I have ever had. Part of the game I guess.

That happens to me too, I broke my down streak two weeks ago and have found almost 20 CPG varieties in the last 14 days. I am at the point where I am passing on some stuff now, lol.
    I would not object to sharing a few hidden eBay cherries with a Jefferson collector or two. If is not something I directly Need for my complete variety set, I am willing to share.

Another fantastic aspect of hunting is when a rapport is established with another hunter or collector. I have had great fun trading fair with other registry folks and other hunters. I feel like trading is underrated. It is a super way to upgrade or move dormant material.
    I believe almost Any person devoted to a series ends up with extras and left overs. I have blue boxes full. Why sit on them unless you directly want extras? I arranged a trade for a 1913 ddr Buffalo and a 1930? 5 leg Buffalo this week, with some nice extra leftover cpg Jeffersons I had just sitting around.

I also have a moral code I apply, in that I will not knowingly bid against a fellow hunter/collector looking for something, or sneak something out from under someone. At least two users here can back me up on that statement.

• Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:

@DIMEMAN said:

That happens to me too, I broke my down streak two weeks ago and have found almost 20 CPG varieties in the last 14 days. I am at the point where I am passing on some stuff now, lol.
    I would not object to sharing a few hidden eBay cherries with a Jefferson collector or two. If is not something I directly Need for my complete variety set, I am willing to share.

Another fantastic aspect of hunting is when a rapport is established with another hunter or collector. I have had great fun trading fair with other registry folks and other hunters. I feel like trading is underrated. It is a super way to upgrade or move dormant material.
    I believe almost Any person devoted to a series ends up with extras and left overs. I have blue boxes full. Why sit on them unless you directly want extras? I arranged a trade for a 1913 ddr Buffalo and a 1930? 5 leg Buffalo this week, with some nice extra leftover cpg Jeffersons I had just sitting around.

I also have a moral code I apply, in that I will not knowingly bid against a fellow hunter/collector looking for something, or sneak something out from under someone. At least two users here can back me up on that statement.

I do that too ………. help others when I find a variety that I do not need. I send a link of the auction to others I know that collect the series that I found. It all comes around when others give me a heads up on something they found that they think I might want or need.

• Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

One thing is for sure- searching for varieties in person is so much more fun than online! In the past year or so, I've decided to pretty much shift from raw finds to almost exclusively looking for varieties in newer PCGS prong holders. Very few dealers have large numbers of lower priced slabs outside of cases where you can just search and look at them in hand. I've found a few nice coins in the past year searching on eBay, and although I really like the coins, it just is not the same as searching in person.

That feeling of finding them in person at a show is just the best! Then going home and pouring over the books and IDing the variety... love it.

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I Cherry pick also and found two this week. I don't know if I could sit at a dealer table and go through his case looking for varieties. Seems like they may not want you spending so much time looking through there stuff. Do some dealers let you inspect all of there coins like that?

• Options

I have only been to one show ever. It was great to pick in person. No one complained that I was sitting for a while, although they were not too busy.

• Options

I agree shows are best. But a few dealers despise cherrypickers and will run you off. Some can be very rude.

• Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

If you're at show, you always have to respect the dealers. I would never search through a case full of slabs, asking to look at each one individually. You would probably wear out your welcome very quickly. Gotta look for big volume with easy access.

There are usually some bins, boxes, or albums at shows where you can search if you want. If you know what you're doing, you can probably search through them faster than non-variety hunters. And if you can build a little pile of items you will be purchasing, the dealer will know that you are serious and not a total waste of time. That always helps.

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options

Are you saying there aren't any rude dealers? I never said anything about a case full of slabs. I'm talking about bins, boxes, and albums. And I never go to a table that's busy. These guys are rude with everything. As soon as they see that you're using a loupe they go nuts. Over time you learn to avoid these dudes completely and you remember who they are. These days my philosophy is if you can't see it with a 5X glass it probably ain't worth anything extra anyway.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roccon @Aspie_Rocco :smile:
    Thanks for sharing your perspective :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    I write this because at times I feel as though I post a lot of finds, which may seem unusual or too Lucky 🍀 to some viewers. If this has ever crossed someone’s mind, I assure you I have dozens of “failed attempts” in my collection, I have spent a lot on grading and picking. I have no shame in posting an incorrect pick, as I can learn from correction and others can see the less glorious aspects of picking. Thank you for reading.
    Happy Hunting,
    Roccout

This. Thank YOU for taking the time to post your skills, experiences, and tribulations in the hobby.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now this is good stuff.
    I am an admitted variety weenie and have been for the past several decades.

What got me hooked was Lincoln cent varieties. So many and so much fun.
    Nothing beats searching through an old bag or jar full of wheaties for varieties.
    OMM's, RPM's, DDO's, DDR's etc etc etc.

I have found several discovery coins and thousand of varieties through the years and
    can attest to the fact that they are out there if you look for them.

Here is an example of what makes that rush happen.
    I found 2 separate examples of the same beautiful D/D/D RPM during a jar search.
    Not sure what the chances are of 2 being found together but they were :)

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent post.... I am not a variety collector (well, maybe a few - O/CC, AH) for the most part... mainly because of the time and dedication it requires - as you described in the OP. Just never had the dedication or the time (too many hobbies) required to do it right. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@koynekwest said:
    Are you saying there aren't any rude dealers? I never said anything about a case full of slabs. I'm talking about bins, boxes, and albums. And I never go to a table that's busy. These guys are rude with everything. As soon as they see that you're using a loupe they go nuts. Over time you learn to avoid these dudes completely and you remember who they are. These days my philosophy is if you can't see it with a 5X glass it probably ain't worth anything extra anyway.

Most dealers don't care, but like you said there are a few VERY rude ones. Most dealers what the chance to sell you something and leave you alone. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file