Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this a Morgan Clash Die error??

On the obverse of my 1903-O Morgan there is a triangle shape at the chin and a line under her nose that I believe could be feather impression from wing on the reverse and at the base of the cap there seems to me to be partial impression from the wreath on the reverse (although very minimal). What are your thoughts?? What kind of value do you think this could bring to the coin?

Comments

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2018 3:50PM

Could be a Vam 4A. I can't see the reverse pic large enough to tell some of the other features. Go here and check them:

http://vamworld.com/wiki/1903-O_VAM-4A

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coin was struck w/dies that clashed. This is very common on thin coins (3c) and Morgan dollars. While most are not valuable, some clashed Morgan's are considered "Elite." See VAMWorld.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, that is one of the leaves transferred from the reverse die. The line under her chin is also from a clash.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭

Agreed. Morgan dollar clashes seem to have come into vogue as more and more collectors got into attributing themselves. If you got the bug VAMWorld.com should be your friend. Happy hunting!

Gilbert
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy VAM hunting.... A field I have not become involved with... but it has many, many collectors... Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are, indeed, clash marks. While a few (very few) are strong or unusual enough to warrant a premium, most add no value, and aren't even mentioned in the listings.

In order to be listed, there has to be the transfer of some lettering from one side to the other. The first such coins listed were the clashed E varieties, where the letter E in LIBERTY ends up below the tail feathers. The strongest of these is 1891-O VAM 1A. It wasn't until 1997, when the 1889 VAM 23A was discovered, that letters clashing onto the obverse were listed. Since then, many others have been listed, of varying strengths of clashing. The clashed E coins are typically the most sought-after, while those with a weak transfer of the letter 'n' to Liberty's neck or 't' behind the hair are almost always no-premium coins. 1903-O has one variety that is considered desirable, VAM 4A, but yours doesn't appear to be that one. The VAM 4A seems to have been clashed through some sort of debris, as there is a raised lump on both dies, each directly opposite the other. Even so, that variety is available enough in higher grades that there really isn't much of a premium on it. Another variety that shows a clash through debris is the 1921 VAM 3o, which also shows heavy polishing to remove the usual clash marks that you'd see.

As with other series, clash marks have also been used to help determine die marriage sequences.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file