Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any suggestions about repairing my Vam book?

HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has seen better days! I have thought of using a 3 hole punch and putting it in a D Ring binder. All of the pages are fine. Anyone have experience with something like this?

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 ring binders work well, but looks like you may need more than 1.

• Options
    23Pairer23Pairer Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Take it to a local printing shop or Office Depot, Staples, UPS Store. They can run it through their binders in a heartbeat, give you choice of covers, etc.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:
    You can get it re-binded I believe. Not sure where you go for that though.

Could call/visit a local book store or library for leads to a book binder.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like my CPG :smiley:

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2018 10:47PM

I believe these old books are for sale cheaper than the cost of fixing one. Problem is, you'll need to add your notes to the new book. There is a new one on eBay for $64 so I may be mistaken.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would go the 3 or 4-ring binder route with the holes reinforced so that they don't tear out.

thefinn
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having a single book rebound as a hardbound can be done but it is expensive. Binding problems like this often run through the entire print run so buying another copy may not solve your problem. I seem to recall that the 1975 Red Book had this sort of problem. It may be best to just make up a file folder and store the book (pages) in it.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2018 12:12AM

What I would do before you bind it is run it through a double sided copier into a PDF format. I do this at work for my finished turnover projects. Everything goes into a USB thumb drive.
    Then you could go ahead and hole punch it and insert into a binder.
    Now you have both a hard copy and an electronic version one you can read on your computer. B)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Gluggo's suggestion... My preference is the electronic copy on a thumb drive... just label it and keep it by your computer station....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2018 8:24AM

Flex tape. :blush: ... flex shot, or flex seal.
    This is a situation where duct tape or WD-40 are rendered useless !

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used a very thin amount of "wood glue" on the binding and reset the pages neat and orderly. Worked great on my copy of Breens Encyclopedia

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless you have a lot of hand written notes in it just buy a new one. Stick to 3rd edition or earlier though. There is a recent 4th? (IIRC) Edition that needs to be avoided at all costs. @messydesk can give better specifics on which one and why to avoid..

The more you VAM..
  • Options

@CascadeChris said:
    Unless you have a lot of hand written notes in it just buy a new one. Stick to 3rd edition or earlier though. There is a recent 4th? (IIRC) Edition that needs to be avoided at all costs. @messydesk can give better specifics on which one and why to avoid..

The one I have says Fourth Edition(I didn't even realize that). I probably won't use it as often as I used to because the Vamworld site is so much more up to date, but I do want to keep it.

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I am going to consider them all before I decide how to proceed! :)

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would look into comb binding or spiral binding with binding coils (my preference is comb binding). Both are far better than a standard 3-ring binder as they're much less likely to tear through. A copy place should be able to do this for you.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hallco said:

@CascadeChris said:

The one I have says Fourth Edition(I didn't even realize that). I probably won't use it as often as I used to because the Vamworld site is so much more up to date, but I do want to keep it.

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I am going to consider them all before I decide how to proceed! :)

I believe I misspoke. The 4th edition is good. It's a later edition that is bonkers. The 4th edition is solid!

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure nobody has time to watch this, but is is a lost art. :smile:
    https://youtu.be/DtJK_fcrLlY

PS @Hallco
    Let us know your final choice of keeping the book together and good luck.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the recommendations I make to my Morgan dollar class is to take their book to an OfficeSomething store and have them slice the binding off and then spiral bind the book. It will cost you about $5 and make the book much easier to use. I did this with my "user" copy several years ago. Don't do this if you have a hardbound version, of course.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

you can get the book rebound
    check with a large book store for a list of those who do this work

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

@messydesk said:
    One of the recommendations I make to my Morgan dollar class is to take their book to an OfficeSomething store and have them slice the binding off and then spiral bind the book. It will cost you about $5 and make the book much easier to use. I did this with my "user" copy several years ago. Don't do this if you have a hardbound version, of course.

I stopped by the only print shop in the city where I work and they told me they do not have the equipment to do it. I will be going to an area where there are several OfficeSomething options. I like this idea a lot. I have a Redbook(2005 I think) and it is spiral bound at it still looks brand new!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file