Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Shout Out to Great Collections

UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shout Out to Great Collections for a job well done. A couple of months ago I decided to give Ian and Great Collections a try. I sent 199 PCGS graded coins, to be spread out over 8 or 9 weeks worth of auctions. I sell a lot of coins on eBay, and have for over a couple of decades so I have a pretty good idea of what sells, and for how much.

When the dust had cleared, I realized about $1000 more with Great Collections than I would have through eBay. That alone was reason enough to use GC. When you add in the frustrations of dealing with eBay, the time and money saved on shipping and not having to deal with some less than honorable eBayer's, the choice is clear.

See you later eBay,

Wes

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Comments

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've bought and sold with them. I have enjoyed every transaction with them so far.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on your selling done well :) Was it ever 200 to start with and changed mind on one? ;)

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll keep this in mind when/if I need to do some liquidating.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

What kind of stuff? Common, CAC, etc? Nice!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

im glad all worked out and for the better to. id say adios to ebay as well :)

• Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:
    What kind of stuff? Common, CAC, etc? Nice!

All PCGS. MS Franklins & pre 1965 Washington Quarters, a lot of 1950 through 1959 proof coins.
    And yes, one shipped in error and had to ask for it back.

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulation

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to know the above pleasant experiences with GC :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always enjoyed buying from there.

10 months ago though I sent my 1st consignment of coins to them. Mix of slabbed & raw, US & World.

Mailed the end of December, 2017. Entered in their system 1/2/18.
    The slabbed stuff (US and World) was on their site in a matter of weeks, 2 weeks later sold - did well.
    The raw World coins went off to NGC, came back in March, was put online, and 2 weeks later sold.

The raw US coins - some "normal" coins, some varieties PCGS recognizes, and some varieties only ANACS will slab (WDDOs mostly not CPG varieties) are still AWOL. 10 Months later and still exchanging e-mails trying to figure out where they sent the varieties (I suspect all was sent to PCGS and they are "Hung up due to the varieties")

Sadly, I just checked the box for slab them where you see fit - not realizing for my 1st consignment with them, that knowing where to send which exact variety may help them - kind of figured their variety folks would know.

Overall, I still give them 10 out of 10 stars when buying (and shipping fast) and even my experience selling already slabbed stuff was pleasant, as well as the world coins. I'm still waiting to see how the rest turns out, but not super happy sending in varieties (at least the way I did).

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UtahCoin said:
    Shout Out to Great Collections for a job well done. A couple of months ago I decided to give Ian and Great Collections a try. I sent 199 PCGS graded coins, to be spread out over 8 or 9 weeks worth of auctions. I sell a lot of coins on eBay, and have for over a couple of decades so I have a pretty good idea of what sells, and for how much.

When the dust had cleared, I realized about $1000 more with Great Collections than I would have through eBay. That alone was reason enough to use GC. When you add in the frustrations of dealing with eBay, the time and money saved on shipping and not having to deal with some less than honorable eBayer's, the choice is clear.

See you later eBay,

Wes

Many share that sentiment as one compares the number of coin auctions on a Sunday at GC vs the Ebay wasteland.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had great success with them, both buying and selling, I'm glad others have experienced the same !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

The world is moving to niche...niche markets, niche technology, niche entertainment. Exceptional value tailored to smaller audiences.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with all that is said here. @Ian has given the industry a big shot in the arm with such an amazing service by creating a Heritage / Stacks-like Auction house that caters to not only the higher end stuff but the mid to lower end tier as well while keeping both buyer and sellers fees low and on top of that, a highly personal experience. If you need to talk to him directly he's always there to answer any questions a buyer or seller has. I've said it once and I'll say it again, the tallest skyscraper in Irvine will have a GC logo in 20ft high letters within the next decade if Ian decides to go that route :wink::smile:

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

And, GC's shipping charges to NZ are reasonable ($16 for a single slabbed coin).

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. All my transactions with HC have been quite satisfactory. Fine people to deal with.

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

And where else could I drop a couple of boxes of double dimes without depressing the market.
    Good job GC.

• Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    Ian and Great Collections - the best.

I consigned 27 coins that Grey Sheet-ed about $42,000,
    and I thought they would bring about $60-$65K, because
    they were PCGS slabbed from 1988 or so. All CAC'd except
    one toned 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter.

The totals for the coins were $50,000 more than I thought -
    they brought a total of $114,000

You can't be the attention, consideration, service, exposure,
    and Ian certainly gets the 'Eyes' and Bids !

Sold for 2.5 times Greysheet in total? Must have been some sweet coins in there!

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

They were mostly gold coins (and three silver coins)
    that I sold my parents in 1973, 1975, and 1976.

Some were $10 and $20 gold that I was buying in
    Europe on a regular basis.

One of the coins was a superb 1904 $20 Liberty that
    graded MS-65 by PCGS back in '88 - Grey Sheet was
    $2,700 a few months ago, and the coin brought $22,500.

(MS-67's GS at $30,000, so at least two bidders thought
    it would 7 for sure.

It was one of the nicest 1904 $20's I've ever seen - and
    we know that's the most common date.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    They were mostly gold coins (and three silver coins)
    that I sold my parents in 1973, 1975, and 1976.

Some were $10 and $20 gold that I was buying in
    Europe on a regular basis.

One of the coins was a superb 1904 $20 Liberty that
    graded MS-65 by PCGS back in '88 - Grey Sheet was
    $2,700 a few months ago, and the coin brought $22,500.

(MS-67's GS at $30,000, so at least two bidders thought
    it would 7 for sure.

It was one of the nicest 1904 $20's I've ever seen - and
    we know that's the most common date.

Wow, I just went and looked. They are all listed under your Mom's name. The top 5 coins were amazing! (Making up 81K of the whole sale. SWEET!

• Options
    cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭

I've been contemplating consigning some stuff to them for a while now. Probably will give it a go.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

High praise indeed for Great Collections..... Certainly with this amount of positive feedback, the choice is clear. Should I sell some coins, I would certainly pursue this venue. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the way to get full or nearly full market on many coins; the right time, the right auction with their company backing, cac submissions, etc.. For others Stacks, HA, Legend may be the way to go. As usual doing your research is the way to go.

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m a buyer and Great Collections are good folks. Never failed to be delighted by my purchases from them.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2018 7:06AM

edited to remove secrets, nice message Wes, happy for you :)

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UtahCoin said:

All PCGS. MS Franklins & pre 1965 Washington Quarters, a lot of 1950 through 1959 proof coins.
    And yes, one shipped in error and had to ask for it back.

At what price level do you think they are effective? I presume there is a floor for where you do well there?

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2018 5:17PM

@UtahCoin said:

See you later eBay,

Wes

Amen. I sent my first 5 PCGS graded coins off two weeks back. No more Ebay for me either. Coins over 1K do not have a percentage auction fee. When you factor the cost at Heritage, coins can sell for much less and still create a higher net amount.

If these auctions go well and I have a viable venue to move coins / duplicates, then I am back in the game baby.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are great to deal with.
    Super fast shipping on auction wins.
    Great to consign raw coins to be graded as their slabbing fees are very reasonable.
    Did I mention that they were great?

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are a great company, I've bought and sold with them . I'll be sending in some soon.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file