Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1984 quarter very rare need help on this

If this is a real one of a kind error could someone maybe tell me whst they think it is and what its worth if i should sell this just please some knowlage and just a range that i should deal with selling it if i did

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

You would need to post a photo of the full obverse....

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

it does look like a punch in obverse coin ... this is considered PMD (post mint damage) .. I will change my opinion if the obverse does not have a big indent in the middle of Washingtons' head .. it is interesting you have 4 nice reverse photos, and the bottom third of the obverse.

welcome to the forums.

• Options

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a coin that would have to examined in person to determine if the "error" is really an error or just post mint damage. Even if it is an "error" and not post mint damage it is not likely to have much value to most collectors. To me personally, its value, "error" or not, is 25 cents.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Thank u

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

interesting .. it could be a post mint electroplating experiment, or a mint employee punched the die for removal from service and some coins were still minted afterwords - if that was the case, it would be an interesting variety and could be worth much more than face.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Technical term:

spare change

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

It can't be considered "very rare" when there's no way to know what happened to the coin without a hands-on examination.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the "post mint damage" camp. It looks to me that someone was just playing around with the coin and pressed the metal towards the center, similar to how a coin would be "spooned."

Worth $.25 to me.

• Options
    hatchethatchet Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

Given how well circulated the coin is, I would expect that prominently raised area to exhibit extreme wear if this were something the coin had since the time it was minted. It looks like damage late in its life.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@100g4life...Welcome aboard....Your quarter appears to have post mint damage...It looks as it it is a small gouge caused by a stone or sharp implement....Final determination would have to be an 'in hand' review. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

most likely PMD nothing unusual or rare just worth 25 cents

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

No need for anyone to examine it in-hand.

It's damaged.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, but your coin was not like this when it left the mint. There appears to be a divot with lots of scratches and tooling marks. Some of the metal could have been chased into the raised center area. It IS NOT from a "Cancelled Die". Regardless of how it occurred, it is PMD and only worth face value. Hope this helps

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Actually I have the same quarter on hand where the letter isn't printed looks the same exact just a dot

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Violette , you do not have full membership yet

Give it a couple of days and you will be able to upload photos

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

If your coin looks the same then it's damaged as well. You can post a pic for confirmation

Member of the ANA since 1982

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file